Very Important Announcement: Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of questions.

Will the forum time ever be fixed?

If someone else has posted on your thread you can't bump until 12 hours after the last comment regardless of WHO commented? @Captain-Heather

If you are having a personal conversation, you should take it to PMs. However if you are contributing to the overall thread, don't worry about the 12 hour bump limit. You guys are taking this bumping rule way too seriously! In general the only way we are going to be able to tell if you are bumping is if you post BUMP. Other than that, genuine conversation/questions/etc is usually fine.

Also, I have no control over when the forum time issue ever gets fixed, if at all. I have insufficient administrator privileges to upgrade/update the system. I think fixes have been tried, but nothing has worked yet.

Fix

Coolest Member
I couldn't agree more, Elessar.

While yes, it is extremely evident that in this community there is quite a bit of disrespect toward the superiors, it is also evident that the accusations of some of the players and participants of this forum are not without reason. I know that not everyone is the best at handling their issues in a professional way, but honestly, what are you (not you specifically, you as in the general public) going to do?
This is:
A.) an online community,
B.) an online community for a child's game, and
C.) a place where people feel safe and confident in their abilities to outwardly be rude and snide due to the fact they have created a safety net adjacent to their computer monitor.

People will do and say more online than they will in person due to the fact that they don't have to directly answer to the consequences for their actions. And people have always been that way. When you poke the bear with a stick, do you stay and battle it? Or do you run before it can get you? We have always had a fascination with tempting others, and that isn't going to stop merely because people are getting their feelings hurt. That's not something you can change. That doesn't mean it is right, it just means that it's not going to disappear anytime soon.

But this is in no way condoning the actions of these people. I just feel that if you step into a position of authority in an online community such as this one, it should be expected that there will be a form of backlash that you classify as near "cyber-bullying." I'm not saying you should just stand for disrespect, I'm just saying that you should know it is going to happen, whether or not you want it to. Yes, you are all volunteers, but by that logic, if you can't take the heat, please, step away from the kitchen. If you don't have a thick enough skin to handle people giving you a piece of their mind (ie. accusing you, calling you out) when you decide to become an administrator or moderator on any type of site, then is it really worth your "donated time" to put up with it? No one is forcing you to become a volunteer. It is ridiculous that the argument you "don't have to be here" is still occurring. That is exactly the point. No one is forcing you into becoming a staff member, no one is forcing your hand in any way. You are here because you volunteered to be here. No disrespect, but get over it. Don't use the volunteer thing as a crutch.

I'm not saying when the going gets tough you run away crying. But stop coming back to the whole "I don't have to put up with this" dilemma. If you genuinely feel that way, the door is at the top right-hand corner of the screen in the form of a swell little red 'X'.

I know that the members here can be incredibly rude. I was one of them, probably one of the worst. I get that. I honestly do.

Again, I am in no way saying you should merely lie and taking a beating. I am just saying that you should expect it. This kind of thing comes with the territory. When you take on a position like this, you should really know what you're getting into and do the best you can to change public opinion or better yourself as a person in authority. Just be as respectful and helpful as you can and know that at the end of the day, you did your best and you can't please them all. If members are falsely accusing the staff members, forget them. You guys are the ones with the ability to stop it. Don't be afraid to do your job. You can ban people, warn people, suspend people. You don't have to be martyrs. You can be leaders.

Also, if accusations have been cast, invest in them. See who is truly at fault. Is it the person accusing a staff member? Or is the staff member legitimately cheating the system? Don't be afraid to listen to a layman. Not every person of power is an honest individual.

I have been a website administrator, moderator, forum moderator. I know how hard it can be and I know how rude people can be. But we are not all without our faults. Just as normal and occasional members of this community have been blatantly terrible, as have highly regarded staff members. When societies crumble and people riot, it is with reason. When an accusing finger is pointed, there is purpose behind it. Sure, some people like to stir trouble, but some of us have been wronged or are seeking justice for one reason or another. Every time you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you. That doesn't just apply to casual users. That applies to higher-ups as well. In any institution.
claps4u
my 2 cents, I think this game would be a whole lot cooler if we all just respected each other, as stated a gazillion times before me. staff is no better than players. players are no better than staff. we are all dumb humans on a dumb planet looking at a dumb screen playing the same children's game. lets start treating each other as equals, own up to our mistakes, and get the heck over it ammiright ladies.

So what is the ban for people that leave their Trade threads open forever and never responding to inquiries?? It's Exhausting leaving messages and comments and NO RESPONSE. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue.....that is all.
Unfortunately poor trading etiquette is not a banable offense. After 30 days all inactive trade threads are archived, though.

Quicksilver

Moderator Maximoff
Two questions. Since the time on the forums is messed up I have no idea if the thread has been inactive for 12 hours or not. I have to guess so how is this going to work if we have no idea of the timings?

Secondly, I notice that sometimes my posts get automatically merged (because I have no idea if I could post or not due to forum times) - if posts are automatically merged would we still get a warning/infraction if a mod later comes across the merged posts?
I have a couple of questions.

Will the forum time ever be fixed?

If someone else has posted on your thread you can't bump until 12 hours after the last comment regardless of WHO commented? @Captain-Heather
I'm not sure if this is a quick fix for the time stamp issue but I'm Pacific Standard Time and when I change my forums setting to Atlantic Time, I get the correct time.

It's a little bit of tedious playing around and trying new time settings but it works. Hopefully this helps a bit with people worrying about the bumping rule.

Guitar

I'm not sure if this is a quick fix for the time stamp issue but I'm Pacific Standard Time and when I change my forums setting to Atlantic Time, I get the correct time.

It's a little bit of tedious playing around and trying new time settings but it works. Hopefully this helps a bit with people worrying about the bumping rule.
That fixed it for me! Thanks! @Quicksilver

I would but I am time-zone challenged and can't work out what a UK'er should set it to. What was the hour difference and was it ahead or behind your normal time?

Noting this was posted 9.56pm my time.

Quicksilver

Moderator Maximoff
I would but I am time-zone challenged and can't work out what a UK'er should set it to. What was the hour difference and was it ahead or behind your normal time?

Noting this was posted 9.56pm my time.
PST is 4 hours behind Atlantic time I believe, I would try finding a time that is 4 hours ahead of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.