MyVMK | Now Available On macOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I haven't logged in in ages, and this was very exciting news. I have a problem though -- I downloaded the client and followed the instructions in the initial post, but the client won't open D:

The icon bounces up and down a few times but then it just goes away and nothing happens. PLS HELP

thx ^_^
I had this happen to me when I first downloaded it, but I just kept clicking it and it finally opened. I am not sure why, but that worked for me! lol

Wonder

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be working, I guess you got lucky!
Right click it and click open. This overrides your security and gives you a pop up asking if you want to open an application from an unverified source or w/e and click open and it should work from there on :)

Right click it and click open. This overrides your security and gives you a pop up asking if you want to open an application from an unverified source or w/e and click open and it should work from there on :)
I did that, it still doesn't work. Thanks for trying though :)

Amy

Head Administrator
Woot! Now I can bounce between my Windows rig and my iMac without hitting up my old XP Virtual Machine, which this definitely runs far more smoothly than! Thank you SO much!
Quick question though: Since this is using Wine to work, which is totally awesome btw, how difficult would it be to port this to Linux? Not that there's much of a use case for MyVMK on Linux, but hypothetically... :)
If you want to run it in Linux you can. It has no dependencies. Just download the Mac version in Linux, browse through the folders until you get to the wine prefix, then I believe it's in a folder called winebottler or something, a lone MyVMK exe. Take that exe out, and run that through wine, and it will work fine. Sorry for my unspecific instructions I'm really tired lol but I'm sure you can figure it out.

If you want to run it in Linux you can. It has no dependencies. Just download the Mac version in Linux, browse through the folders until you get to the wine prefix, then I believe it's in a folder called winebottler or something, a lone MyVMK exe. Take that exe out, and run that through wine, and it will work fine. Sorry for my unspecific instructions I'm really tired lol but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Cool! I'll have to give that a try when I get a chance and let you know how it goes! I really mostly use my Windows 10 PC and my Macs, but as an experiment, I think it'd be really cool if that works under Linux. Again while I don't think there's much of a use case for MyVMK on Linux, it is an audience that the original VMK never addressed (granted nobody but the true geeky geeks used Linux way back then, but still...) :).

Having an issue every so often in rooms that I can't see any chat. PC players can see chat, but Mac players can chat something, though won't see anything.
So far I've seen this happen in the POTC lobby twice, and in FreakyFiki's host game. (Staff were really kind and sent out alerts for my round though :) )

Anyone know of a fix for this? Re-entering the room doesn't do anything, but if I go to a different room I don't have an issue.

Kanye

I downloaded this and it says the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash. Doesn't give me any other option but to delete it

***Edit: Got it to work. If someone else is having this issue, just PM me and I'll be able to help you out.

Last edited:

kira

This is fantastic news because the percentage of people who would be interested in playing MyVMK having access to the game is a whole lot closer to 100.

It has been said that many people who were otherwise active in-game left due to their inability to play since they were using macOS and browser support died. Those people very well may not be checking the forums anymore, so you guys might consider sending an email to everyone registered about this news. Everyone else should consider sharing the main post with anyone they know who played MyVMK and uses macOS. That is our most well-calibrated shot at restoring the population (and, perhaps subsequently, vibe) MyVMK basked in during the time immediately after its opening, in late 2013 and most of 2014. What do you all say?
To admin: I agree with this.

I haven't played for 2 years because I bought a mac and was unable to play anymore. I just happened to check if I remembered my login info tonight and saw the newsletter update!

Shadowofumbreon

I'm currently using this on ubuntu 17.10 beta 2 but it was a pain to get to the wine prefix folder I had to extract it in windows for some reason

supernovagirl

@Amy

I've been having difficulty with the mac client ever since it's been released. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not. Usually it's an endless cycle of bouncing and then I'll have to force quit because it's not responding. Jared tried to help me on the FB group but I know near to nothing about Macs and troubleshooting applications. Is there a way I can fix this without having to reinstall every other day?

Status
Not open for further replies.