Bad Anxiety

Shadowofumbreon

Lately I been dealing with extreme anxiety and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to control it?

I have anxiety and panic disorder. What I think works is doing something with your hands. For example, I'll start writing or I will start playing a game like this. Basically something that occupies my mind. Hope that helps. Anxiety is tough so I totally understand.

shelshel

I know what you’re going through! I have social anxiety and it sucks, but really you just have to put yourself in situations that you normally wouldn’t in order to get over it. What kind of anxiety do you have? There’s different ones. For me I have anxiety being around a lot of people or really any social event lol

Shadowofumbreon

I know what you’re going through! I have social anxiety and it sucks, but really you just have to put yourself in situations that you normally wouldn’t in order to get over it. What kind of anxiety do you have? There’s different ones. For me I have anxiety being around a lot of people or really any social event lol
Mine is social anxiety as well, I usually hate leaving my own home because of it. On the bright side I have a friend that's trying to help me out with my anxiety by doing things I would not normally do like go places or play games like pathfinder.

JustDep

Forever Awkward
It can be a journey but the long term fix is to constantly put yourself in positions that's outside of your comfort zone. I've been doing this since 2015 and I'm miles ahead of where I was but not quite where I'd like to be yet.

Something that helps me is slowing down my breathing, I breath in for 4 seconds, hold it for 7 seconds, and let out for 8 seconds. I get so anxious it makes me nauseous unfortunately so I understand the not wanting to leave home. Just by doing little things it can make a big difference though. I wish you luck :3 <3

Shadows

So what really helps me is mindfulness. Mindfulness is when you find something real or something that can help you focus on the moment you are in. For example, say you are in the car with your friends don't focus whats in your head thats giving you the anxiety, focus on the music, focus on what you are passing by in the street. Also, I suggest downloading the App "Insight Timer" this app can help you develop mindfulness techniques, and also has a lot of settle music you can use to meditate with. I hope this helps!

I have social anxiety. Most of it due to lack of confidence especially with public speaking. Learning how to embrace social anxiety as an integral part of who you are is key to moving forward. I tried to hide it like it was something to be ashamed of, but I’m more open about it because I shouldn’t be embarrassed as it’s something I can’t help. Society today is more accepting/understanding especially millennial generations and those moving forward.

It’s an internal struggle, but you’ll find the right people to support you. Focus on progress you’ve made and keep going :)

As for advice how to reduce anxiety, this anxiety chat room is helpful http://www.healthfulchat.org/anxiety-chat-room.html

Also make sure to drink and eat healthily, take time to remember what good there’s to be grateful for, and have a good night’s rest. Try to keep life simple and if can be helped, don’t allow yourself to idle time to ruminate on social mistakes. Accept it, address what can be done, and do what you can to do better next time.

Mitochondria

is the powerhouse of the cell
I actually have very bad social anxiety as well. Therapy and medication have helped more than anything else but when I first got diagnosed I actually found this app that helped me a lot!

It's available on the app store (might be on the google play store too) and it's called SAM or self-help for anxiety management. It has a bunch of features to track your anxiety, activities to do including a timer to help with deep breathing, guided meditation excersises, some little games to help you calm down, information about anxiety, and important numbers (like the Samaritans).

Here's a like if you'd link to check it out!
Self-help for Anxiety Management by University of the West of England
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/self-help-for-anxiety-management/id666767947?mt=8

somethingcool

Samesies. It started off with just social anxiety, but recently my anxiety has expanded to include so much more :’) life is a gift :’)

The social anxiety was fine. I pushed myself to be more outgoing but still gave myself some me time (also an introvert), and I was really progressing. But then the other anxiety piled on, and man oh man.

Idk what to tell you though :( it sucks because in my opinion, my anxiety makes sense, so I can’t reason my way out of it, if that makes sense lol like I can try to calm myself down or distract myself, but it always comes back eventually.

I think there are breathing exercises to help. Counseling can also help too, but I know not everyone has the time/resources (maybe even courage like myself) for it.

But if you need someone to talk to, I’m here :D shoot me a message whenever!

shelshel

I have to be honest when when I made this thread I never thought people would be so supportive. This makes me love the MyVMK Community even more :) Thank you
Of course! I think 1 in 10 peole have anxiety or something like that so don't feel alone about it!! Embrace it and don't be hard on yourself. It's not cureable but definitely manageable :)

I used to be extremely out going, a competitive theatrical actor, a soloist musician, and an overall... Excellent public speaker.

Then my depression got worse, I got sick alongside my mom, and my world crashed and burned. I have developed a severe anxiety disorder that is fueled by my extreme OCD and clinical depression (it gets especially bad in unfamiliar environments) and with the change in insurance, have to temporarily miss out on doctors and medication. What really helps me is to occupy my hands and work on controlled breathing techniques. When I feel an episode coming on, I rely on my phone for a crutch. Then, I get up and walk around. But I am weak. I typically avoid my problems and my sister is the only anchor forcing me to face my issues and put myself in uncomfortable positions. You have to try to face your fears if you want to get better.

I really hate it. But if you actually have an anxiety disorder, I recommend talking to your doctor. Therapy and medication can go a long way to recovery. Motion sickness medicine that is over the counter also helps me when I feel an attack coming on and I haven't been able to visit my doctor.

Like others have said, meditation and relaxation techniques can very much help the condition in the long term. I’ve been practicing yoga for about 11 months now, and it has made a world of difference in my mindset and stress management. Try something new! There are usually tons of local groups/meetings that practice meditation and yoga and that type of community is extremely welcoming, helpful, and nonjudgemental.

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
i used to never have it, but sometimes when i'm really stressed out i do.
i try really hard to just take deep breaths and relax.
find anything thats relaxing or do something you enjoy.
i took string lights and put it around my room, just have those on and light a candle, it such a peaceful setting.
playing a game or watching a movie or tv show also is good to keep your mind off your worries.

just remember that these moments in life are temporary! (:

I also started going to the gym to get into a shape that isn't round and I was absolutely terrified because being around people sets my anxiety off, but after a while of forcing myself to go, I would say that it has helped me in taking a large step in making my anxiety a bit more manageable. I still undergo awful anxiety and panic, but going to the gym has afforded me a bit of freedom I haven't had since high school.

tinyflower

Hi! I've had anxiety/panic disorders/OCD as far back as I remember. Some things that help me:

-Breathing exercises
-Counting exercises - find all the yellow things in the room, count something miscellaneous, etc. It's a grounding technique
-Meditating before bed
-Aromatherapy
-Meds. There's nothing wrong with taking the appropriate meds to get you in a place where you're actually able to work on what's generating your anxiety.
-A real good therapist, which is certainly less accessible, especially if you're a dependent or don't have good insurance
-When you feel an attack coming on, let someone you trust know you feel anxious and why. It helps me a lot to externalize the feelings, makes it feel less huge and insurmountable

Hello there! I see that this post is a few months old but I've created a discord server that is a safe space/support system for anyone struggling with any sort of mental illness or just wants to connect to people and share stories. If anyone is interested in joining go ahead and use this link https://discord.gg/pSYrcsv
It extends to beyond the VMK community. so share with friends you know will benefit from this! I hope to connect with you guys ! :) if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me!
love this idea steph <3

GuardGirl

Ace is the name, room recreation is the game.
not to be that hippie, but essential oils have helped me so much. specifically peace/patchouli. a lot of people suggest lavender but i find sometimes it actually makes mine worse. ill put a drop on each of my wrists and ear lobes and honestly it makes such a difference. maybe try experimenting with a scent that just generally makes you feel happy as not every scent will work the same for everyone necessarily!