LF Amy to Ban Friendly Games

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
Lol okay I can’t w the hypocrisy anymore...
Let's pretend we have two basketball teams in a playoff tournament. An exploit would be if one team decided to all sit down while the other team scored baskets one after the other. It's not how the basketball game was meant to be played.

If the two teams were playing normally, and one player fell on the ground on nobodies fault but his own, and the other player used that opening to shoot a basket, that is NOT an exploit.

justicegage

Best-Selling Female Artist of All Time
Don't go after friendlies because you have a problem with it...

Really, if you think about it, what caused friendlies to get so.... popular.
@morgan Your right, while they won't be earning 800 credits like a very good game of Pirates would, it also takes much less time to do friendlies. Keys are earned in less than a third of the time for friendlies when compared to a winning player, I imagine credits would follow a similar trend, though I haven't done the math. And putting minimal effort (clicking join than having one person run a flag while they don't move) should not provide more reward than winning against players who are actually trying.
It seems you have a problem, moreso, with the fact that people who play friendlies are getting more of a reward than those that play competitively. That's fair.

But think of it this way; why is friendlies so popular?

In my opinion, the only way to truly get rid of friendlies, is to make every item available to all players. That's really the only reason people play friendlies. They don't do it because its fun. They do it to get credits to buy things. Or they do it for keys to win rares.

Get rid of the MyVMK economy, get rid of friendlies. Simple as that.

Again this is just my opinion, and really, if you ask me, the people playing friendlies are smart. (If you really enjoyed pirates solely for the competition, then friendlies wouldn't bother you.) Sure, it's lazy - but there's always a loophole, and unfortunately.. it's impossible to regulate this one.

PlayerOne

Don't go after friendlies because you have a problem with it...

Really, if you think about it, what caused friendlies to get so.... popular.

It seems you have a problem, moreso, with the fact that people who play friendlies are getting more of a reward than those that play competitively. That's fair.

But think of it this way; why is friendlies so popular?

In my opinion, the only way to truly get rid of friendlies, is to make every item available to all players. That's really the only reason people play friendlies. They don't do it because its fun. They do it to get credits to buy things. Or they do it for keys to win rares.

Get rid of the MyVMK economy, get rid of friendlies. Simple as that.

Again this is just my opinion, and really, if you ask me, the people playing friendlies are smart. (If you really enjoyed pirates solely for the competition, then friendlies wouldn't bother you.) Sure, it's lazy - but there's always a loophole, and unfortunately.. it's impossible to regulate this one.
I'll give you that, I don't have a meaningful solution on how to handle friendlies, not without harming legimate pirate players.

I do disagree with one thing you said though, there are lots of people who play friendlies for the more credits/keys who would be playing competitive if it wasn't an option. I simply would like to see more people go back to playing the game for fun, not for profits.

This is really unnecessarily condescending and he said he was done. There's really not much of a need to bring him back into it if he's done arguing the point.
And he has been condescending to me in multiple posts. He didn't understand my logic so I tried to break it down for him.

OK I JUST GOT OUT A GAME OF POTC
and now i'm 4 IN QUEUE
IF THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH FRIENDLY
i would like to just restructure my argument as well....
BAN FRIENDLY!!!!!

PlayerOne

I will be recusing myself from this thread as I feel I have made any points I had against friendly games in previous posts, though I would like to add something before I go.

Despite the title of this thread and my strong feelings against friendly games, I don't believe they should be banned. I would like it so that the rewards were nerfed so that friendly games did not out-earn legitimate games, but there's no realistic way to do that without impairing regular pirates. I stand firmly by my belief that those who play (and win) competitive should not be earning less than friendly players, which takes little effort and no skill at all.

However everybody has their own reasons for playing MyVMK, and while I still have my opinions, people are of course free to play however they feel. I would also like to thank the forums staff for keeping this topic open so that people could continue to post their opinions and thoughts on the topic of friendlies, when it would have been very easy for them to close it. I always welcome viewpoints on topics that I do not share, and enjoy debating them with my own thoughts and logic (Sometimes a bit too much). I apologize if any posts I made offended anybody.

Let's all just get back to playing the game and reliving the magic!

PlayerOne

somethingcool

I simply would like to see more people go back to playing the game for fun, not for profits.
P1 I love and respect you as a friend, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect folks to play competitively for fun just because you like to play competitively for fun. That’s like being upset at people for going to the beach and tanning instead of playing with the water. People have different intentions with what they do, and there’s no point in trying to convince them otherwise. Especially when playing friendly doesn’t really harm anyone.

Some folks play to collect credits and items. If to do so, they play friendly, then that’s their perogative.

I like both competitive and friendly for different reasons, and that’s okay if you don’t agree. But would making friendly “illegal” suddenly change how people feel about playing the games competitively? Probably not.

Edit: whoops started writing this before P1 backed away from the convo but I still think it’s a valid point for anyone else who wants to read

Rizz

P1 I love and respect you as a friend, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect folks to play competitively for fun just because you like to play competitively for fun. That’s like being upset at people for going to the beach and tanning instead of playing with the water. People have different intentions with what they do, and there’s no point in trying to convince them otherwise. Especially when playing friendly doesn’t really harm anyone.

Some folks play to collect credits and items. If to do so, they play friendly, then that’s their perogative.

I like both competitive and friendly for different reasons, and that’s okay if you don’t agree. But would making friendly “illegal” suddenly change how people feel about playing the games competitively? Probably not.
I don't agree with your comparison at all. The fact of the matter is, we are playing to earn prizes. Typically, in most games, you earn prizes from your performance in the games you play. The harder you try, the more you'll be rewarded.
One of the issues is that essentially 9/10 people are getting a free ride to credits and prizes, while the minority do the "running"for them. Even the people doing the running for friendly ctf, really arent doing ANYTHING.

The better the skill level the higher the reward. If you want to do something "friendly" go play jungle cruise.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Amy

Head Administrator
Okay I was trying to avoid posting in here because of the... angry... seeming... nature... of some of the posts, but to heck with it here:

This is a plan and may change in exact implementation by then, and one new feature in particular will depend on how players like the idea. Part of this change has already been added, when you enter a pirates game via a lobby, you now go back to the same instance you were in. After the new client releases, and it's stable enough to replace the old, pirates will have its regular lobbies removed. To replace them, will be three new lobbies and an infinite amount of "private lobbies".

To get to a private lobby, you must follow someone on your friends list there. You can create one, and it's "your" lobby and you can even boot people from it. The first regular lobby will be "General", this will be for playing pirates normally. The second will be "Friendlies", for playing friendlies. The third will be "Wager Matches" or something to that effect, which I'll explain in a second. When you click on pirates on the map, you have to pick one of these three every time, your friends private lobbies may also be listed there.

Wager matches will only be playable in that one lobby, the lobby itself will give you lots of warnings explaining what the lobby is for when you enter it. Essentially, they're pirates games where you still earn credits, but there's also a buy in to enter the game. You have to pay 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, or 10,000 credits to enter a game (the amount will depend on what the creator of the game puts in there, custom amounts may be allowed). You will only be charged once the game starts (at which point noone can be booted from it). The winning team gets the losing teams winnings divided among them. No refunds for this will be allowed.

In other words, you have a 2v2 ship battle match with a 1000 credit buy in, team one loses, team two gets 1000 extra credits for the game each, whilst team two loses their buy in. Same goes for any other credit amount. 1v1 games will also be allowed in this game mode, with the stipulation no new credits will be earned, only those from the buy in. However, uneven teams will never work.

I think this would be a great way to encourage people to play competitively, when they actually have something hanging in the risk when you play it. You'll still earn keys and things playing this way too, but you could potentially lose amounts of credits. Again, before you join a game it will warn you what the game is for extensively and how much it costs, and that you shouldn't play this mode unless you're willing to lose that many credits. Personally these kinds of games in other games really made them fun for me, even if I didn't like the game itself.

How does that sound? Genuinely want to hear your thoughts on this, like if you don't think I should do it then say so, the decision hasn't been fully made yet and if it doesn't sound like something the players will want then we won't do it... But I think it could be very fun, and you don't have to play this way if you don't want to.

As for actually banning friendlies, I don't think we'll do it because so many players play that way, and a lot of them enjoy it in its own right. As much as it may seem like it's pointless, some people really enjoy that kind of thing, I thought that was impossible at first to be completely honest but after witnessing it they really do. I'm not going to take something away that people actively like, where a minority dislikes it. However, I do think it should be relegated to a special lobby or private lobby so it's easier to find real games if you want to, and you don't end up playing a friendly match just because you can't find any others.

I expect the player count to increase when the new client comes out for a lot of reasons, a big one being some huge percentage (more than 50%, i can't think right now though) of players never made it into the game because of shockwave, this trend has only gotten worse over time as support for it has died. I think that will alleviate a lot of the problem too.

Rizz

Okay I was trying to avoid posting in here because of the... angry... seeming... nature... of some of the posts, but to heck with it here:

This is a plan and may change in exact implementation by then, and one new feature in particular will depend on how players like the idea. Part of this change has already been added, when you enter a pirates game via a lobby, you now go back to the same instance you were in. After the new client releases, and it's stable enough to replace the old, pirates will have its regular lobbies removed. To replace them, will be three new lobbies and an infinite amount of "private lobbies".

To get to a private lobby, you must follow someone on your friends list there. You can create one, and it's "your" lobby and you can even boot people from it. The first regular lobby will be "General", this will be for playing pirates normally. The second will be "Friendlies", for playing friendlies. The third will be "Wager Matches" or something to that effect, which I'll explain in a second. When you click on pirates on the map, you have to pick one of these three every time, your friends private lobbies may also be listed there.

Wager matches will only be playable in that one lobby, the lobby itself will give you lots of warnings explaining what the lobby is for when you enter it. Essentially, they're pirates games where you still earn credits, but there's also a buy in to enter the game. You have to pay 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, or 10,000 credits to enter a game (the amount will depend on what the creator of the game puts in there, custom amounts may be allowed). You will only be charged once the game starts (at which point noone can be booted from it). The winning team gets the losing teams winnings divided among them. No refunds for this will be allowed.

In other words, you have a 2v2 ship battle match with a 1000 credit buy in, team one loses, team two gets 1000 extra credits for the game each, whilst team two loses their buy in. Same goes for any other credit amount. 1v1 games will also be allowed in this game mode, with the stipulation no new credits will be earned, only those from the buy in. However, uneven teams will never work.

I think this would be a great way to encourage people to play competitively, when they actually have something hanging in the risk when you play it. You'll still earn keys and things playing this way too, but you could potentially lose amounts of credits. Again, before you join a game it will warn you what the game is for extensively and how much it costs, and that you shouldn't play this mode unless you're willing to lose that many credits. Personally these kinds of games in other games really made them fun for me, even if I didn't like the game itself.

How does that sound? Genuinely want to hear your thoughts on this, like if you don't think I should do it then say so, the decision hasn't been fully made yet and if it doesn't sound like something the players will want then we won't do it... But I think it could be very fun, and you don't have to play this way if you don't want to.

As for actually banning friendlies, I don't think we'll do it because so many players play that way, and a lot of them enjoy it in its own right. As much as it may seem like it's pointless, some people really enjoy that kind of thing, I thought that was impossible at first to be completely honest but after witnessing it they really do. I'm not going to take something away that people actively like, where a minority dislikes it. However, I do think it should be relegated to a special lobby or private lobby so it's easier to find real games if you want to, and you don't end up playing a friendly match just because you can't find any others.

I expect the player count to increase when the new client comes out for a lot of reasons, a big one being some huge percentage (more than 50%, i can't think right now though) of players never made it into the game because of shockwave, this trend has only gotten worse over time as support for it has died. I think that will alleviate a lot of the problem too.
Wagering credits reminds me of the races on gta5; which is a lot of fun.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I love everything about this post and support all these ideas.

PlayerOne

I remember back in the day me and Aztec_King used to wager large amounts of credits, having to have two friends to initiate a game and not play so me and him could duke it out. An excellent idea @Amy that I am excited for. Any chance of allowing 1v1s in this mode?

Back to recusing myself i go.

Genuinely love all of what you said, Amy. I truly think that will alleviate all the issues that have arisen within the potc game. Personally, I enjoy playing friendly and regular, however I am not NEARLY as good as most of the regular pirates players (Haunted Mansion was always my favorite) so I usually tend to shy away. I think the idea of implementing the wager room too will add to some of the better players playing that way as well, which may free up some regular battles with people who arent nearly as good, and I think that will be great!

Amy

Head Administrator

I remember back in the day me and Aztec_King used to wager large amounts of credits, having to have two friends to initiate a game and not play so me and him could duke it out. An excellent idea @Amy that I am excited for. Any chance of allowing 1v1s in this mode?

Back to recusing myself i go.
i said it would allow 1v1, with the stipulation that no extra credits would be earned, only the wager credits

Captain Falcon

Amy, thanks for posting anyway, It's always nice to see the leader of a game caring about the community as a whole. Honestly I've always wanted 1v1 to be a thing since sometimes I'll come on late at night and there aren't enough people on to play. Perhaps you can somehow balance it so you can 1v1 people even if it's not a wager match while reducing the prize gained for it. I'm not sure what the numbers for winning a 2v2 or 3v3 or even 4v4, I'm sure it varies heavily. (shots hit, players sunk). Wager matches seems like a really good idea, though I don't really think that addresses any of the issues with friendlies. I understand the reason you won't ban friendlies, even if i disagree with you on it not harming the game in the long run. It makes the game boring, nothing has any real value unlike in the old game for a good reason. Friendlies makes everything easy for everyone. IMO that's a part of the reason why we have a low population. If you make things rarer/harder to access or harder to attain, I guarantee you more people will play (as well as having people actually earn what they have).

My original goal was to revert POTC back to it's original state where people used to legitimately earn their credits/keys/prizes etc.. I don't recall the original game pampering the people who thought pushing 3 buttons was hard. (mouse click & left+right key press). Regardless of course i am one out of the hundreds of people who play this game. I'm just grateful you replied. I'll be ignoring most of the trolls who posted here and argued off-topic anyway. It was never a personal vendetta against people who like friendlies or anything. Thanks for hearing me out Amy.

P.S. This is off-topic, but do you think you'll ever fix the POTC cannons/explosions/Kraken? I understand there are other things you're working on, I'm just curious, I do recall the original game having cannon physics like when you turn, the cannons would spread out, as well as the winch ship turnspeed i think is lower than usual, though i may be wrong. I bet i could test this though.

PlayerOne

P.S. This is off-topic, but do you think you'll ever fix the POTC cannons/explosions/Kraken? I understand there are other things you're working on, I'm just curious, I do recall the original game having cannon physics like when you turn, the cannons would spread out, as well as the winch ship turnspeed i think is lower than usual, though i may be wrong. I bet i could test this though.
I made a thread a while back on all the original features that are missing from the original game here, though never got a response from staff. The core game of Pirates really hasn't changed much since it was released in MyVMK. They did add a kraken very briefly, though they removed it after a day or so, I think since it took people long to load the game and would die from kraken before it loaded in (Though could have been removed for other reasons). I play the wench a lot, and did so in the original MyVMK as well (Though that was so long ago who knows how well my memory is), and it seems fine to me.