a journey of getting myvmk to work, or: someone please help

gravebound

not actually a grave
i just want to say that before all this started(around two days ago) i had literally no problems at all, other than slow loading(which both starlina and tariel can testify to). then all of a sudden, doomsday came.
my winning combo of myvmkpal and shockwave 11.6 ceased to work.
i waited for many hours, it never loaded past the ornament. i was stuck out of the game.
being dependent on a pal since the original game, i reluctantly went back to chrome and attempted to play through the site.
it gave me the same problem.
frustrated, i deleted all of my cookies, caches, and history before turning it off and leaving it for the night.
no progress still after that.
saddened, i downloaded firefox and attempted to play it through there. no luck as well. i upgraded myvmkpal, no difference.
i went to oldapps and downloaded six(6) different versions of shockwave and tested every one to no avail. saddened, i reinstalled the tried and true 11.6 and stared my worst enemy in the face.
internet explorer.
there are few things i hate in the computer realm, two of them being windows 8 and internet explorer. so it would figure that the game ran beautifully on ie.
my frustration-tinged relief was short lived as i soon realized i was booted out of every game of haunted mansion i attempted to play. why? because internet explorer thought it was saving me by pulling down some kind of malicious add-on.
after some hunting, i discovered it was doing this because of the old shockwave. you know, the thing that the entire game runs on.
saddened, i attempted to downgrade ie to fit the version of shockwave. i then discovered that this is impossible(and boy, did i try too) to remove internet explorer 10 from windows 8. why? because it comes hardcoded into the darn system. (and they say you can still hear grave's hatred grow every night!)
finally, my last exhausted effort proved fruitful: upgrading(but not all the way) shockwave. i managed to get it to work fine.
i am attempting to get along without all i'm now accustomed to(being able to run two accounts at once so i can acquire gender-locked clothes, i'm looking at you), and i miss my old setup and not having to acknowledge internet explorer's existence.
if anyone has any helpful tips, they would be appreciated.