Appreciation of music

So when I was younger I never actually appreciated music, at all. I LIKED music, but didn't appreciate it. When I say I didn't appreciate it, I mean I didn't appreciate the good stuff. I was young, and when I was a kid bands like Linkin Park became really big. I liked a lot of Linkin Park, Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41 and if I continued the list would only go downhill--and honestly it gets embarrassing.
Not to say that some of those bands are bad. They're not. I'm not bashing anyone's taste in music or anything, but it seems as if as you get older you begin to appreciate more mature and older music.

When I was young I didn't appreciate Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Billy Joel etc.

You come to appreciate the older bands/singers and how much influence they've had on the bands/singers you like now. These days there are SO many bands out there, it's insane. Many good ones, many bands ones.

BUT the only way I honestly appreciated any of it was by having it forced down my throat. I'm pretty stubborn. My eyes were opened though, and ever since then I have appreciated the artistic side of music.
I LOVE bands now that I would have NEVER loved when I was younger. Like Arcade Fire and The Strokes. Fantastic bands that take their time making music and putting out albums--so that they are producing the best quality of music.

I guess the point I'm trying to get to is: if you ever get a chance, take the opportunity to delve into the history of music. Older music. If you don't like it, then move on and try something else. (stay away from the hair bands of the 80s though)

If you don't like the older music, then try pandora. OR just try listening to a random band on the suggestions bar on youtube. Just give them a chance. Otherwise you'll be listening to the same music you listened to in your teen years, until you're an adult--like I did.

I promise once you find what you connect with, on a mature level, you wont regret it. Then before you know it, you'll be listening to modern day music that you can appreciate for their talent as musicians.

I'm just surprised to find so many people my age these days, who have never taken the chance to listen to the music I listen to.

I actually agree with this implication here, rather the point he's trying to make. You should develop an appreciation for music. I found a somewhat similar degree appreciation of music as time went on BUT I don't think I ever REALLY started listening to music until I started playing in a band professionally and making music etc. Before, I 'heard' the music. Now it?s a different ballgame because when you?re a musician you understand a lot more and how intricate and soul bearing music can be etc. It's hard to explain if you've never played music before, this feeling you get, but if you want to really appreciate music in general; I do suggest learning an instrument. <--- That will open your eyes to music in general. One should also have a music history class or read a few books on the subject matter. There?s a plethora of talentless people out there who do well because they have 'radio and media time' but I won?t go into that. STUDY, Study, Study! Music and you will begin to love and appreciate every single facet of it. I can't tell you how many times I've come across people at live concerts and shows who only go because they 'wanna look cool'. Don't be a poser or a number, be a musician or someone who KNOWS what they're talking about when conversing with other people. L-E-A-R-N like every great musician or person has done over the course of history from someone or something. Everyone has to start somewhere, don't be afraid to begin.