Base Camp Bag End

Lost

Base Camp Bag End

My idea for the ride was a Lord of the Rings ride based on the three films directed by Peter Jackson.
I wanted to try tell the epic saga as well as I could by using key events and places in 10 rooms.

Some of the key things which set my ride apart from others are:​
  • The use of photos to not only help people less familiar with the films to understand the ride more, but also add small details and information that I hope fans will enjoy.
  • The hidden ride start under a monster inc door at the very start, making it so you enter the house to start the journey and giving the illusion of just walking through a door.
  • A small section later on in the ride where you can "rest" on your journey before carrying on the ride
  • Each room on the ride uses a different guest room type to try break away from the overuse of dark rooms and winter rooms which most teams will have used.
In my ride, the Ring is represented by a yellow music note, which you take on your journey through all the rooms, except one room which is meant to be a sort of dream/ vision of what is happening elsewhere in the story, as although most the rooms revolve mainly just around Frodo's story, I wanted to add a room showing a glimpse into the rest of the films unseen.

I wanted my ride to not just be a ride, but to tell a deeper story, a story that I hope a lot of you enjoyed :)
The ride takes approximately 8 minutes if you want to see it all first hand :)

You can listen to this whist you ride if you want some LOTR nostalgia to go with my ride ;D

Base Camp Bag End

As you can tell, this room is based around Bag End. As we saw in the films; papers, books, candles, etc are flooded round the small home, and big arches are used to link rooms together. At the end of the ride, you can have the option to go on another ride start which links to the dining area which seats several people. There is a scary face which is emitted by the ring, which was inspired by the Eye of Sauron.

The Shire

This room is meant to represent the vastness of the Shire by showing the different aspects of houses, countryside and forests. A key scene in the film is when you are almost discovered by a force hunting the ring which I tried to recreate, and you have to hide behind a tree where there is a teleporter, so you are stuck there for a few seconds longer. In the distance or on the left hand side is the next destination.

Rivendell

This room is meant to show the vast mountains, waterfalls and rivers which the place is known for. The main meeting place where a big scene is done is shown by the maleficent chairs and table. I tried to capture an ethereal and somewhat magical feel for the room and kept it simple.

Mountain Pass

This is one of the longer rooms time wise as the whole mountain is made up of ride pieces. I wanted to do something creative with the up and down ride pieces and decided I would try make an entire mountain of ride pieces, with BB rocks used to hold it up and to keep the mountain vibe. I love how this room turned out. In the films the trek over the mountains is long and arduous as it is here, and an avalanche forced the group to head towards the mines under the mountain for safer passage. The avalanche is represented by a drop on the narrower ledge.

Moria

In the films this place is seemingly abandoned, and you see a bunch of skeletons which I tried to represent. Needless to say it's not abandoned and a beast known as the Balrog (represented as the Everest Chair when it falls), stands in your way. After a fight, it falls, but it also destroys a big part of the bridge which means you have to jump. As the bridge breaks you make a leap and make it! As this was originally a place for Dwarven miners, there is a bunch of unconnected (broken) tracks, and tracks leading off and down further.

Dead Marshes

As the marshes are mainly flat, I wanted to keep true to that and so there are no big drops or ups and downs here. A key feature for this room would be the skeleton monkeys. In the films, the dead under the water use lights to try make travellers go into the water to their deaths, this is why the skeletons monkeys are a perfect option and keep blocking your way. Below most the ALR grass is water carpets which blended perfectly to show a marshy bog sort of room.

Last edited:

Lost

Mountains Above Mordor

This is the second main "mountain" in the ride. As you successfully travel past the marshes, you have to get into Mordor but the only way to get in undetected, is by going up another mountain. In this room there is a small rest area which mimics a part of the film. You don't have many supplies left and little else with you so it's a rough night but then you continue on. This isn't a huge mountain because I didn't want to do something overly complicated and I wanted a small walkway.

Beacons of Gondor

This is the dream/vision room which is why the ring isn't present as you aren't actually there. You skim across the outskirts of the room just like the vision/dream. The beacons are being lit which is sending an army to fight, as it's over such a long distance there are smaller mountains, bigger mountains, hillsides, etc. I wanted to give a different sort of peak for each beacon to show that. It is a simple room and not part of your main journey, but links nice to the next room.

Battle of the Black Gate

The army is here to your aid but they are outnumbered and surrounded. You travel down the mountain and as the battle rages on you manage to sneak into Mordor where Mount Doom is which is where you need to go to destroy the ring. The Black Gate was my favourite touch here, made out of the chests at an angle to show it was slightly open. I also stacked up/down ride pieces to give a different mountain rage type than either BB rocks or PPR rocks. You have to sneak in and be stealthy here as to be undetected.

Mount Doom

This was the only room build by my friend, who provided all the items and worked with me to build the vision I had for this room. My favourite part is Gollum represented as a white ghost during your "fight" and then when he jumps into the fire after the ring, he is now orange as he is destroyed with the ring. It was a fun touch to add. The ride start links to the dining area in Bag End where you can chat and hang out after destroying the ring!

I knew I wanted to make this and when a team I was on wasn't up for it and had a different vision, I knew I could and would make this ride. I made a simple storyboard, and for rooms I was unsure of how to build, I did quick very rough sketches which usually helps me vision the room. Some rooms took longer and some I finished in the last few days but I did what I wanted to and I'm proud of my work. It was tough building 9 of my own rooms and directing/ helping to build the 10th. It was a brain child that came to fruition and I hope you all enjoy it.

Last edited:
Congratulations to y'all! I am not a LOTR fan and have only seen one of the movies, so I'm not familiar with much of it. But you made it interesting and enjoyable even to me! Great job!

Lost

Congratulations to y'all! I am not a LOTR fan and have only seen one of the movies, so I'm not familiar with much of it. But you made it interesting and enjoyable even to me! Great job!
Thats awesome thanks :D

I know some people didn't like all the reading but I wanted to make it feel like a movie/ story and also a way to help people less familiar with the franchise to understand the ride better :)

Glad you enjoyed it :)