Chrome and MyVMK Fix

Howdy all!

Today I was approached by several people wondering why MyVMK was no longer running in their Chrome browser. I initially chalked it up to a faulty cache but this wasn't the case. There was an update rolled out yesterday and today and I have good and bad news.

First the good news. You can fix this issue right now:
1) In Chrome, go to chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
2) You will see a section called "Enable NPAPI" and there should be a link to "Enable" it.
3) Click the Enable link.
4) Restart your computer. Yes, completely restart.
5) Enjoy MyVMK in your Chrome browser again.

And now for the sad news...
This fix is only temporary. In the current version of Chrome (42.x) we have the NPAPI option to enable NPAPI plugins. However, Chrome will eventually not be supporting NPAPI plugins like Shockwave. It will stop allowing them. Google is asking developers to start using secure PPAPI / Pepper plugins as well as HTML5.

What this means...
I believe that myVMK will eventually have to move to a new interface. I've seen threads where Amy is testing a new one and that looks promising. However, for Chrome users -- the end is near. And I believe myVmk Pal is using the Awesomium browser which is a subsection of the Chromium project. I'd bet that is going to stop working soon if it hasn't already.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit: For any other techies like me out there you can read the Chromium Blog which explains Google's decision. http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html

Last edited:

Nnilak

So dumb question, but if MyVMK is switching to HTML5 will this mean we lose all of our stuff and we all have to start over again when the new one is out?
Obviously I don't know anything about any of this stuff.

Kolyaventuri, I use Awesomium in other projects of mine. As long as the developers of vmkPal don't update their Awesomium source, all is good. Just don't ever update. :)

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Kolyaventuri, I use Awesomium in other projects of mine. As long as the developers of vmkPal don't update their Awesomium source, all is good. Just don't ever update. :)
Well, I determine whether or not Awesomium gets updates. I am the developer of myVMKPal after all ;) But that makes sense. Eh. I'll see how it goes, and I'll switch it out if it makes sense to do so. Until then, I stick with what works.

Great, just make sure if you use Nuget to acquire Awesomium to not let it auto update. If you are downloading Awesomium manually, just don't update. Easy. :)

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Great, just make sure if you use Nuget to acquire Awesomium to not let it auto update. If you are downloading Awesomium manually, just don't update. Easy. :)
Since I introduced Awesomium in myVMKPal, I have not updated the binaries. They work, so I have had no reason to force people to download new ones xD

it says to use other web browsers but IE is slow, Safari freezes and Firefox still has some virus stuff ive mentioned in some post of mine.

idk if this is hijacking but i really need help:
how can i fix Firefox little virus thing? I've somehow fixed it on Chrome but i tried doing the same to Firefox and the pop ups and ads are still there :/