College Expectations vs Reality

Neda

So I'm going to college soon and I always see people talking about what they expect versus what it's actually like and I wanted to hear some of your expectations vs reality.

For me I expected my roommate to be a freshman too and the same age as me lol but she's about 2-3 years older.
I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not with someone who'll be just a lost as I would be but maybe she can help me? we'll see.

MoitaRose

Bearded Dragon, Dog, & Beta Lover <3
I watched the tv show Greek and that gave me high hopes. College is really just classes, studying, papers due,and final projects. Oh and insanely hot people
^^Preach. The freshman 15 is definitely a thing if you're not careful!
Expectation/What I thought-- I won't fit in here at all (Im attending a very large university in another state, but I come from a hometown of 350 people in a very rural area)
Reality-- I have met so many amazing people who are some of my best friends now! Finding clubs and things that really call out to you really helps.

Baka

Expectation: College is going to be great! I'll breeze through and get my degree so I can start doing what I love!

Reality: Got screwed by my school. They messed up my financial aid. Now 40k in debt, and I'll never be able to pay it back, or afford to continue my education. Doesn't help that my parents said they would help me pay for it, but then backed out when they saw the bill. I honestly wish I had never enrolled in school.

Expectation: Oh my gog, I'm gonna be so cool joining all these clubs. I'm gonna have a job that get me very energized!

Reality: ugh, I have no interest in being in college. My club needs me to do something I don't wanna do. I'm avoiding my responsibities by going on tumblr and play myvmk.

Last edited:
Expectation: I'll have it all figured out by the time I leave college

Reality: please don't make me leave. I have no idea what I'm doing or why I got this degree.... :'(
Graduating in August and still have no idea what to do

Better expectation; I moved to a place that not many people from my town went to

Expectation: make best friends with my roommate and survive college together for 4 years

Reality: made best friends with everybody on my floor except my roommate and still friends with them today. But we all went into Greek clubs so I guess it helped too seeing them around more in events. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbh the college experience is different for EVERYONE so no one can tell u what to expect

u rlly just gotta make the most of it and appreciate the four years bc they will go by RLLY fast

Expectations - Cheesy as it might sound be best friends with my roommates and people in my building. Better student then I was in high school. Afraid of the town that my college is in I was going to hate it. Maybe people will act differently(less drama or be more mature) then they do in high school. Excited about all new people and town and school since I grown up in same town my whole life. I am going to do a study aboard and finish college in 4-5 years.

Reality- Roommate didn't work out and I did make friends in my building but none of them were long term friendships. I met a lot of new people and made some great friends. Funny enough I was only one in my friend groups at college that didn't made good friend with there freshman roommate or people in there building. I do enjoy my college town it does feel homey to me. You will find people who will still act just as immature as they were in high school and you will find people who act more mature. Even though I have improved as a student I am still a procrastinator. I am probably not going to do a study aboard in the traditional sense because of my major and I'll probably/hopefully finish college in 5-6 years. Few side notes and sorry for cheesiness. College is not for everyone, it okay to do a different route. Like it said before college if different for everyone and its what you make of the experience. if you don't make much of it then that is your decisions. Also college student love Netflix.

acebatonfan

Expectations: The university will be super organized (my high school was not the epitome of organization), everything will be easily accessible, and I'll know exactly what I need to do.
Reality: NOPE. In only two semesters, I've experienced situations where my nursing school would give one section of a class access to the simulation lab scheduler weeks before the other sections (and some of us must decide whether to attend sim lab or attend another class's midterm), university bookstores that don't have pre-ordered books in by the time classes start, mandatory classes that don't have seats for every single nursing student, and me running around with my head cut off while wondering how to verify some documentations I need for clinicals. Classes start in seven weeks, and our schedules for next semester aren't officially finalized because of the school debating whether to move some of the nursing classes to a part of campus two miles away from our main building (if they do, they also need to change the meeting times of those classes so that we don't need to run two miles in fifteen minutes).

Zelena

^^Preach. The freshman 15 is definitely a thing if you're not careful!
Expectation/What I thought-- I won't fit in here at all (Im attending a very large university in another state, but I come from a hometown of 350 people in a very rural area)
Reality-- I have met so many amazing people who are some of my best friends now! Finding clubs and things that really call out to you really helps.
My freshman 15 was were I only ever $15 to my name (if I was lucky).

I met 2 of the most amazing people while I attended college, they're probably the best people I've ever met and are my best friends to this day (even though we literally never get to see one another).
Also like @Foreverrose said college isn't for everyone so don't feel ashamed if it doesn't work out (trust me I'm very familiar with that one).

Otters

i thought me and my roommate would be best friends but we didn't talk at all ever and she left the second semester so i got it to myself which was really nice.
i thought i would be involved and doing stuff but my school doesn't even have that much and it's super boring most of the time unless me and my friends entertain ourselves.
and im going to a school in the same town i've lived in my whole life so i'm super bitter buT I MEAN it's not that bad sometimes

oh also since it's a small private school and some people from my high school go there also, it can be a little cliquey with some people and it feels like high school still sometimes and it's annoying.

Jasmine

TV (along with my mom) had me thinking that there would be a ton of work due in a short amount of time. Like on some tv shows, I'd seen characters be assigned 10 page papers and having to read a full book in one or two days. But thankfully, my experience hasn't been like this at all (though I haven't started my honors courses yet, so we'll see if my opinion changes after this school year) :P. I hated "busy work" in high school (because I knew it was pointless), so it's nice having less assignments. However, the classes where only your exam grades make up your final grade can be quite scary.

TV (along with my mom) had me thinking that there would be a ton of work due in a short amount of time. Like on some tv shows, I'd seen characters be assigned 10 page papers and having to read a full book in one or two days. But thankfully, my experience hasn't been like this at all (though I haven't started my honors courses yet, so we'll see if my opinion changes after this school year) :P. I hated "busy work" in high school (because I knew it was pointless), so it's nice having less assignments. However, the classes where only your exam grades make up your final grade can be quite scary.
You probably won't have to worry about classes where just your exam grades make up your final grade until you take upper division - junior and senior courses :) From my experience, professors gave four exams - each worth 25% of your final grade or just a midterm and final which are each worth 50%. You do have more reading to do as you progress through college. The 4000 level course I'm taking right now presumably covers 14 chapters worth of heavy reading. However, most exams usually just test students on general concepts through analytical/critical thinking type questions (that require not only knowledge, but also sufficient understanding of how to apply the information you learned appropriately to provide the best/correct answer) and on occasion specific facts that should be learned from that specific course usually emphasized or highlighted during lecture - that is if you have a good professor. It depends on the professor and what course you are taking. I also don't enjoy busy work - the extra assignments like essays and group projects or whatever though they are beneficial to learn from. They just consume a lot of extra time. I prefer to just listen to lectures/participate in class, take notes, read/study the chapters, and then take the exams.

My expectation in college was to finish early and be more sociable. I never expected to have changed my major twice and get thrown off the straight path I thought I'd take, but I did. Everyone faces their own set of challenges, failures, and mistakes, but really it's nothing to fear. When it happens, it happens and although devastating or nerve wrecking you will recover, learn, and become stronger and know what to do right next time. I've become more sociable than I was before, joining band and the honor society in my early years. I'll try joining organizations soon since I just transferred, but I don't know how much time I have for that as a soon to be senior now. You do meet more people in classes who are easier to relate to and learn from, young and old from all over the world.

Oh and it's true about how it's easier to gain weight in college. I've gained a bit myself, but I needed to since I was all skin and bones before college :D Also, there are a lot of hot people on campus. Guys in business suits *sigh* :swoon:

Jasmine

You probably won't have to worry about classes where your exam grades make up your final grade until you take upper division - junior and senior courses :) From my experience, professors gave four exams - each worth 25% of your final grade or just a midterm and final which are each worth 50%. You do have more reading to do as you progress through college. The 4000 level course I'm taking right now presumably covers 14 chapters worth of heavy reading. However, most exams usually just test students on general concepts through analytical/critical thinking type questions (that require not only knowledge, but also sufficient understanding of how to apply the information you learned appropriately to provide the best/correct answer) and on occasion specific facts that should be learned from that specific course usually emphasized or highlighted during lecture - that is if you have a good professor. It depends on the professor and what course you are taking. I also don't enjoy busy work - the extra assignments like essays and group projects or whatever though they are beneficial to learn from. They just consume a lot of extra time. I prefer to just listen to lectures/participate in class, take notes, read/study the chapters, and then take the exams.
Yep, it generally does seem to be based on four exams. Some of my school's 200 level classes do this and all four exams are basically weighted equally. One of the classes I'm getting ready to take (an intro biopsychology/neuroscience class) has four exams making up 90% of the final grade and the other 10% coming from short, open-book quizzes.

Yeah, I can imagine there's more reading in upper level classes than in the lower ones. But I was referring to how I'd been given the impression that all classes - especially lower level ones taken during freshman year - were like that though. For example, a show I used to watch when I was younger was Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. The workload I mentioned in my other post was hers: I remember how on her first day of college, she said she had a 10 page paper due the next morning. She also had to read a book (I believe it was one about Plato's works, but it might've been Aristotle) in about the same time frame. My point was that there's a lot less reading in college than I was lead to believe. Or if there's a lot of reading, it's assigned with enough time for it to be done (e.g., I haven't had to read 50+ pages everyday for each class as a freshman, and probably won't as a sophomore).

About how long are the chapters or books you're reading for your class?
I don't really mind reading (because I love to learn) a lot, but my opinion on that may change by the time I'm in medical school. What's cool is that some the upper division classes for one of my majors - usually ones on specialized topics - actually have the same amount of reading as lower level classes (or even less than them). Some don't even use actual textbooks. I'm looking looking forward to those :D.

And yeah! Another expectation of college I had was that I'd have to do very little public speaking/presentations (I hate doing them :/) and few, if any, group assignments. But I now realize that's not true. They're a big part of the honors program I'm in. Oh well! (I actually don't mind essays though! I love to write.)

Last edited:
Yep, it generally does seem to be based on four exams. Some of my school's 200 level classes do this and all four exams are basically weighted equally. One of the classes I'm getting ready to take (an intro biopsychology/neuroscience class) has four exams making up 90% of the final grade and the other 10% coming from short, open-book quizzes.

Yeah, I can imagine there's more reading in upper level classes than in the lower ones. But I was referring to how I'd been given the impression that all classes - especially lower level ones taken during freshman year - were like that though. For example, a show I used to watch when I was younger was Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. The workload I mentioned in my other post was hers: I remember how on her first day of college, she said she had a 10 page paper due the next morning. She also had to read a book (I believe it was one about Plato's works, but it might've been Aristotle) in about the same time frame. My point was that there's a lot less reading in college than I was lead to believe. Or if there's a lot of reading, it's assigned with enough time for it to be done (e.g., I haven't had to read 50+ pages everyday for each class as a freshman, and probably won't as a sophomore).

About how long are the chapters or books you're reading for your class?
I don't really mind reading (because I love to learn) a lot, but my opinion on that may change by the time I'm in medical school. What's cool is that some the upper division classes for one of my majors - usually ones on specialized topics - actually have the same amount of reading as lower level classes (or even less than them). Some don't even use actual textbooks. I'm looking looking forward to those :D.

And yeah! Another expectation of college I had was that I'd have to do very little public speaking/presentations (I hate doing them :/) and few, if any, group assignments. But I now realize that's not true. They're a big part of the honors program I'm in. Oh well! (I actually don't mind essays though! I love to write.)
Oh I see, I remember that show :D That would be cruel and unusual punishment for a professor to assign a ten page paper due the next morning. Maybe they did that in the old days or there are still a few professors who would actually do that today which would suck. Fortunately, professors I've had are at least more reasonable than that to give us more time to do the assignments and study for exams. I think English, social science or those type of majors are required to read a lot more than say business majors (though with finance and accounting, study time is geared towards more practice in math with relatively little reading for understanding) in general.

Chapters I have to read for my class are at least thirty pages long each. Since it's a summer course, we cover four to six chapters a week. I did take Microbiology (very interesting class, fun lab too) and remember it was a little more reading than I anticipated for a lower level course and required a substantial amount of reading though not as intensely comprehensive as the 4000 level class I'm taking. Most general education courses and prerequisites I took freshman and sophomore year required really light reading or none at all - you could study off lecture notes/powerpoint and never buy the book lol though it's advised to do the few chapters worth of reading anyway for your own benefit. There were more essays, homework, quizzes, presentations, knowledge based (memorization type) tests early on then.

It really depends on the class/professor's method of teaching because sometimes you do (professor doesn't lecture well and/or the subject matter being tested of the course goes into considerable depth) and sometimes you don't have to do all the reading (professor does lecture well/level of subject matter being tested is pretty superficial like this art appreciation class I took - the tests were ridiculously easy). I know definitely for graduate school, there's a lot of research (papers coupled with presentations) thus a lot of reading to be done regularly. Nursing majors I know have a lot of heavy reading to do/practical skills to be read about and learned even before day one - they really have to read everything required and more. Managerial classes I've taken require kind of reading through a few chapters, but very easy reading. It doesn't really get hard or too challenging until 4000 level and after really, though certain courses on the way can be challenging (microeconomics/macroeconomics I found tough then as well as business calculus) especially with a bad professor. In essence, college isn't really hard in the beginning - just a time commitment and how much effort/value (willingness to learn) one puts in his or her education, but guess the level of difficulty depends on your major (I heard engineering and aware nursing is especially challenging), aptitude/study ethic too. Though some people have done well even without college.

Yeah, public speaking/presentations irks me sometimes especially when it's about a topic I don't like. It isn't my forte, but I managed to do okay. For some reason, I always end up having to lead on group work and keep tabs on my team's progress because I want to get a good grade and not procrastinate (type A personality, school geek - guilty). It sucks when you have slackers as group mates, though when you're in honors I think you're bound to be at least be on the same playing field as everyone which is good to be able to learn from each other. It can get competitive which I like, because it kind of gives (well, me personally) more incentive to do even better. Taking honors classes is really great, better professors and smaller class sizes too.

Jasmine

Oh I see, I remember that show :D That would be cruel and unusual punishment for a professor to assign a ten page paper due the next morning. Maybe they did that in the old days or there are still a few professors who would actually do that today which would suck. Fortunately, professors I've had are at least more reasonable than that to give us more time to do the assignments and study for exams. I think English, social science or those type of majors are required to read a lot more than say business majors (though with finance and accounting, study time is geared towards more practice in math with relatively little reading for understanding) in general.

Chapters I have to read for my class are at least thirty pages long each. Since it's a summer course, we cover four to six chapters a week. I did take Microbiology (very interesting class, fun lab too) and remember it was a little more reading than I anticipated for a lower level course and required a substantial amount of reading though not as intensely comprehensive as the 4000 level class I'm taking. Most general education courses and prerequisites I took freshman and sophomore year required really light reading or none at all - you could study off lecture notes/powerpoint and never buy the book lol though it's advised to do the few chapters worth of reading anyway for your own benefit. There were more essays, homework, quizzes, presentations, knowledge based (memorization type) tests early on then.

It really depends on the class/professor's method of teaching because sometimes you do (professor doesn't lecture well and/or the subject matter being tested of the course goes into considerable depth) and sometimes you don't have to do all the reading (professor does lecture well/level of subject matter being tested is pretty superficial like this art appreciation class I took - the tests were ridiculously easy). I know definitely for graduate school, there's a lot of research (papers coupled with presentations) thus a lot of reading to be done regularly. Nursing majors I know have a lot of heavy reading to do/practical skills to be read about and learned even before day one - they really have to read everything required and more. Managerial classes I've taken require kind of reading through a few chapters, but very easy reading. It doesn't really get hard or too challenging until 4000 level and after really, though certain courses on the way can be challenging (microeconomics/macroeconomics I found tough then as well as business calculus) especially with a bad professor. In essence, college isn't really hard in the beginning - just a time commitment and how much effort/value (willingness to learn) one puts in his or her education, but guess the level of difficulty depends on your major (I heard engineering and aware nursing is especially challenging), aptitude/study ethic too. Though some people have done well even without college.

Yeah, public speaking/presentations irks me sometimes especially when it's about a topic I don't like. It isn't my forte, but I managed to do okay. For some reason, I always end up having to lead on group work and keep tabs on my team's progress because I want to get a good grade and not procrastinate (type A personality, school geek - guilty). It sucks when you have slackers as group mates, though when you're in honors I think you're bound to be at least be on the same playing field as everyone which is good to be able to learn from each other. It can get competitive which I like, because it kind of gives (well, me personally) more incentive to do even better. Taking honors classes is really great, better professors and smaller class sizes too.
So around 30 pages is normal for textbook chapters then? That's what most of my chapters have been too.

I don't have any general education classes (we take honors seminars to replace the university 'core curriculum'), but I think I'll try studying from powerpoints if I can. :) Luckily, my brother just graduated from the school I attend and since he majored in neuroscience too, I may be able to ask him what's necessary for some classes.

You make an interesting point about nursing majors! My mom's a retired RN. Maybe she thought other majors read as much as she had to and that's why she always talked about it to me.

That's why I always hated group projects too - I hated dealing with people who didn't care about grades. I'm also a "geek."

Oh, and thanks for all the helpful information! :D

acebatonfan

You make an interesting point about nursing majors! My mom's a retired RN. Maybe she thought other majors read as much as she had to and that's why she always talked about it to me.
Nursing readings are evil. Just for the simulation lab component alone (if we don't pass the sim lab for the corresponding nursing course, we then fail that class), we were given assigned videos to watch and more in-depth textbook readings. If we don't do the readings and the professors in the lab believe that we aren't prepared enough, we can be kicked out of the lab and given a failing grade.

It's also a pain-in-the-butt when exams are formatted to have more than one "right" answer, but you have to determine the most correct answer for the question -you essentially need to know the material like the back of your hand and can differentiate between two similar words... when the differences between two similar words might be identified in one sentence within 200+ pages of reading.

I'm surprised about the freshman 15. I ended up experiencing the inverse of it -I was so stressed out from commuting to and from class (and was taking advantage of my university being walker-friendly during the time that I spent up at school) that I lost 15 pounds during my freshman year.

expectation: no free time, hard classes
reality: free time is rare sometimes, but some professors don't give homework. My entire time in college, i've maybe had like 3 teacher that have. as for the hard classes, there are those. just do your work, show up to classes and you're good