College Expectations vs Reality

Expectation: partying hard every weekend, everyone staying on campus for the weekend, never going home, people judging others for going home, etc.

Reality: everyone going home for the weekend, or to their friends or boyfriends schools, etc.

Marissa

black lives matter
Expectation: night out the girls and hardcore study sessions with the girls
Reality: hardcore study sessions with the girls followed by tears of exhaustion

Expectation: Great food, lots of free time, clubs, fun with friends, no homework, and lots of sleep.

Reality: Awful dining hall food, no free time, no time for clubs, no time to have fun with friends, lots of homework, and no sleep. I didn't have good time management skills this semester which really messed up my GPA.

Shaffer

aspiring princess
lol bringing this back bc I like the topic
Expectations: Basically any movie/show about college.
Reality:
  • Having to clean up after myself
  • Getting tired of partying every week
  • Any spare time during the day is spent in bed, bc tired
  • Not wanting to go to club meetings, even though you want to be active
  • Lots and lots of late night pizzas (sigh)
  • Fooling around and doing stupid stuff w/ friends
  • & meeting your best friends bc living with friends is a lot different than not

Neda

Expection: Freshmen 15
Reality: Summer Break 15 lol

Okay so I expected to return home having gained weight in college but I actually didn't.
I guess it's because I didn't go to the cafeteria at all and I basically ate sandwiches or noodles the whole time and never fell victim to late night pizza.
So when I returned home for summer break I ate a lot...
I guess I missed all the great food so much I decided to take advantage of it while I can.

So yeah, try not to overdue it when you return home for the summer lol. :blush:

goobie

violent delights
I expected it to be difficult and to be constantly doing work but honestly as long as I didn't mind staying up until 3 or 4 am I had a lot of free time during the day. I also didn't realize my building was mixed gender so I didn't really expect to meet any boys but I met my best friend/boyfriend because he lived right across the hall.

Shaffer

aspiring princess
Expection: Freshmen 15
Reality: Summer Break 15 lol

Okay so I expected to return home having gained weight in college but I actually didn't.
I guess it's because I didn't go to the cafeteria at all and I basically ate sandwiches or noodles the whole time and never fell victim to late night pizza.
So when I returned home for summer break I ate a lot...
I guess I missed all the great food so much I decided to take advantage of it while I can.

So yeah, try not to overdue it when you return home for the summer lol. :blush:
hahah I legit read this and thought OMG SO TRUE
Its been a continuous cycle of losing 10 pounds at school, then gaining it back during Summer break. I think it's because I have a pantry/fridge full of food fully stocked by my mother, but at school I can chose what food I buy/I don't have a car so I can't go grocery shopping when I need to. Also because there's nothing to do for fun besides hang out in friend's basements or go out to eat. I still am learning to avoid the weight gain lol.

Hello Love!

First of all, congrats on college! I think it's great that you have certain expectations for college. Some of them are probably valid, and some of them not so much. College is a learning experience! And that's okay. All I can say is to go into college with an open mind and heart. When I started college, I was a BFA Acting major. I joined a sorority, Theta Phi Alpha, which I absolutely LOVED! And I lived in TWO different dorms my freshman year; freshman dorm and sorority dorm. Now I'm finishing my degree as an adult with one year to go as a Marketing major, and I love it! I had to take some time off school for several medical reasons and life... oh well. But college is an amazing experience, if you let it be. And join clubs! Go Greek! Volunteer, and STUDY! Other than that, have fun! :)

Neda

Hello Love!

First of all, congrats on college! I think it's great that you have certain expectations for college. Some of them are probably valid, and some of them not so much. College is a learning experience! And that's okay. All I can say is to go into college with an open mind and heart. When I started college, I was a BFA Acting major. I joined a sorority, Theta Phi Alpha, which I absolutely LOVED! And I lived in TWO different dorms my freshman year; freshman dorm and sorority dorm. Now I'm finishing my degree as an adult with one year to go as a Marketing major, and I love it! I had to take some time off school for several medical reasons and life... oh well. But college is an amazing experience, if you let it be. And join clubs! Go Greek! Volunteer, and STUDY! Other than that, have fun! :)
I'm about to start my sophomore year in college in a few weeks and I'm stoked to go back. My school is pretty small for university though so there isn't any greek life whatsoever so that's unfortunate. I loved my classes and I had a pretty solid roommate so that was nice but I was an antisocial mess my freshman year. I'm really hoping I make friends that I'll actually hang out with instead of just occasionally talking to. I honestly wanted to join so many clubs but the ones that interested me met late at night and I was terrified of walking alone to the meeting spots so I never joined anything.
Here's hoping to a better year though.

Expectation: To become bff's with my roommate. :hug:
Reality: Never seeing each other :huh:

Tami

Professional Procrastinator
Expectation: I would be blindly matched with a roommate I would become best friends with, I'd join some sort of club, I would hate on Greek life, and I would have a perfect idea of what I was doing by the time I graduated.

Reality: My roommate never showed up, at first I was involved in nothing, but I met my best friend in Bio class and she convinced me to go Greek (AOII), and I became the president of an honor fraternity as well as spent a semester on student council. Graduating in December and still have no idea what I'm doing with my life, though.

Expectation: Going to join fun clubs, go out more, and make long lasting friendships!

Reality: JK. Member of a major related club and professional organizations. Work all week. Tried attending an interest club - turned out lame. Meet more people through what I've actually joined and work anyways. Haven't really clicked with anyone new for the long term yet. Like spending time with people I've already been close to, but open to new people and get along fairly well. Just never really gets to the point past the good acquaintance phase and rarely go to parties because too many people .-. /: Still working on that anxiety, never really been a big people or party person anyways :-) Well, cheers to being career driven I guess :D

Expectation No. 1: I'm going to stick to this major and university and have a blast no matter how much my tuition is because I can always get scholarships.

Reality: I changed my major and transferred to in-state because the tuition was ridiculous since I lost my major-related scholarships, I don't get financial aid, and I really couldn't find a scholarship worth applying for. Oh, and then I went through the same process again, but in-state this time :)

Expectation No. 2: Okay so I'm doing this major because it seems pretty easy, basic requirements, totally do-able. Let's just get this degree and get out. No social life, just keeping to myself and the roommate playing Haunted Mansion all day long.

Reality: Best career choice for me so far. Going to class is interesting and I love the people I'm around in class and in the dorms. So much so, we're mostly all moving back to the same floor this year and I can't wait to see them. BONUS: I joined a club to get points toward winning a pizza party and had no intentions to go through with it and hey-o I ended up loving it and investing a ton of time and money into something nobody would've ever thought I'd do. I still played HM with my roomie way too much but hey, I can balance this out, right? Lol