Coraline - Deeper Meaning

Chill

I love Coraline (: I love how deep the story is. I've always had the vibe that there was more to the story than meets the eye and this article really interests me.

I first read the book when I was about 8 and it haunted me for days. I've watched the movie a few times over the past few years and every time I watch it or even think about it I find myself searching the internet about it, almost as if I knew there was something deep about it but just didn't know what.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/hidden-meaning-movie-coraline/

I'm not sure I believe some of the more far-fetched parts of this article but for the most part I find it extremely fascinating and I want to know some other opinions.

Chill

O srysry I'm not some weird freaky person I swear like I don't believe in weird witchcraft stuff but there was a really interesting part at the end about how the garden in the real world is shaped like the Other Mother and it's really freaking me out because I didn't even notice it and also it presents the idea that maybe the black cat wasn't helping Coraline at all, he subtly led Coraline into some of the Other Mother's traps just ignore the weird conspiracy stuff and focus on the actual movie idk I thought it was intriguing

Last edited:

WHO

O srysry I'm not some weird freaky person I swear like I don't believe in weird witchcraft stuff but there was a really interesting part at the end about how the garden in the real world is shaped like the Other Mother and it's really freaking me out because I didn't even notice it and also it presents the idea that maybe the black cat wasn't helping Coraline at all, he subtly led Coraline into some of the Other Mother's traps just ignore the weird conspiracy stuff and focus on the actual movie idk I thought it was intriguing
I haven't personally seen the movie. I've been wanting to watch it. But Vigilant Citizen could see the color blue in a movie and say it resembles someone predicting the crash of Malaysian airlines.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I love Coraline to death but this is just one of those times when somebody looked too far into something and wanted it to be something it's not. lol.

Chill

I haven't personally seen the movie. I've been wanting to watch it. But Vigilant Citizen could see the color blue in a movie and say it resembles someone predicting the crash of Malaysian airlines.
Haha I've never heard of vigilant citizen before, I just googled Coraline Fan Theories and this link came up. The movie's about a little girl named Coraline who gets lured into a monster's trap because she is unhappy with the world she lives in. She (ostensibly) escapes from the trap at the end of the plot, but in the book for instance, it's pretty obvious that she isn't really in the clear, and I picked up on that even when I read it when I was young. And yeah... it was pretty weird & far-fetched how they kept mentioning mind control, but I do agree that the antagonist in the plot was trying to manipulate the protagonist. The article sort of presents the idea that maybe she didn't escape after all, but did just as she was intended to do. And I find that kind of eerily fascinating. The entire plot just really fascinates me hahahaha.

----------

I love Coraline to death but this is just one of those times when somebody looked too far into something and wanted it to be something it's not. lol.
Definitely ignore the weird conspiracy illuminati mind control stuff - I'll just try to explain the theory that I find interesting more concisely.

So, you know the black cat? In several instances, the black cat actually lures Coraline into the Other Mother's traps. He creepily disappears in the last scene which I thought was a little suspicious in retrospect. It obviously means the cat has some sort of magical aspect to him and that in itself is a little creepy.
In the other world, the garden is shaped like Coraline's face.

And I doubt anyone has noticed this (I definitely didn't notice) but at the end of the movie when Coraline "escapes" from the world, she and her family have a little patio party and as the camera pans out, you can see the garden is actually shaped like the other mother.

You don't have to be a whack job conspiracy theorist to contemplate the idea that maybe this was put there to purposely imply that Coraline will be forever affected by the other mother.

Also, in the book; the story ends with the Other Mother's hand permanently in the real world, and it is implied that it will forever try and find a way to get Coraline back in the other world. (that was the part that haunted me as a child).

The entire movie is based on the symbolism of a menacing hand manipulating a young girl, luring her into a world created to appeal to her psyche. When Coraline escapes to the Other World, the concept of buttons replacing eyes represent the illusory nature of this world and the blindness of those trapped in it. In the end, Coraline appears to vanquish her foe but, as subtle symbolism suggests, she might have simply done exactly what was expected from her all along.
Also... you might think "hey, isn't Coraline a children's movie? Why would a children's movie have such a dark meaning?" My answer to that is that I think the book was tailored to a slightly more mature audience, and when the movie was created, they kinda made it more appealing to kids.

Last edited:
I friggin love reading about these weird stuff.

Ikr? It's so fascinating to me. I'm just extremely drawn to the plot of Coraline and idek why
Ah, same. It's just fun to see how creative people can get when coming up with theories & stuff.

This is sorta kinda off topic, but I just love the soundtrack. It's like all haunting & circus-y & somehow, a bit disturbing, & it just makes the movie & the story that much better

Last edited:

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
Coraline is so creepy and after watching it I googled all of these conspiracies and explanations and it was just too much