Are you worried?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Didn't I already make a thread for this...?

---

Remember the swine flu, aka H1N1?
Yeah, I caught it. ...and lived to tell. :shrug: I also survived Pertussis as a baby, Strep, and Pneumonia. I won't deny vaccinations have helped to control/prevent these diseases, but it's amazing how both doctors and the media use these scare tactics to convince you that you'll most definitely die/kill someone else if you're not immunized. For the record, I haven't had a flu shot in my life. :huh: The same scare tactics are being used for Ebola and the Enterovirus. Of course, the believers in Big Pharma will tell you there's more to it. I can't decide how I feel about that bit.

Anyway, at the moment, it's not the actual disease that scares me as much as the lack of information/answers regarding the virus and the painsfully slow response to shutting down air travel. The CDC isn't doing a great job at appearing competent over the matter. Regardless, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:

Whispered

That's the point. At this rate, if the source(s) is/are still active, there's no point in even trying to contain the disease anymore. If too many (meaning a majority) of animals become infected and continue to infect more people, it's pointless... there's no way they can contain such an outbreak without at least knowing one for sure source. The more people infected, the more workers will be needed over there and the more workers needed over there actually increases the chance of this becoming a pandemic. That's precisely why it's at least worth looking into.
Cases of getting Ebola from an animal are about as rare as someone getting HIV from a monkey nowadays. This is evident in the fact that there's really only been enough major outbreaks of Ebola to count on two hands, if not one. Contain the illness, then worry about the source.

If the virus were one that jumps species very frequently, then they'd have to worry about the source. But it's not really something that I think they should focus on right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1413258231][/DOUBLEPOST]
Didn't I already make a thread for this...?

---

Yeah, I caught it. ...and lived to tell. :shrug: I also survived Pertussis as a baby, Strep, and Pneumonia. I won't deny vaccinations have helped to control/prevent these diseases, but it's amazing how both doctors and the media use these scare tactics to convince you that you'll most definitely die/kill someone else if you're not immunized. For the record, I haven't had a flu shot in my life. :huh: The same scare tactics are being used for Ebola and the Enterovirus. Of course, the believers in Big Pharma will tell you there's more to it. I can't decide how I feel about that bit.

Anyway, at the moment, it's not the actual disease that scares me as much as the lack of information/answers regarding the virus and the painsfully slow response to shutting down air travel. The CDC isn't doing a great job at appearing competent over the matter. Regardless, it's going to get worse before it gets better.
I've never heard a doctor say "you will die or kill people" if you don't get vaccinated. I have heard them say "this disease is often fatal, and it is highly contagious". If you interpret that as "you will die or kill people", it's not the doctor's fault.

I'm very happy that you survived what you did, however many many people were not as lucky - especially with H1N1 and Pertussis. Many people, especially small children, die(d) from those diseases, where a simple vaccination could have saved a lot of them.

Shutting down air travel in response to a disease is extremely insane, at least this early in the process. Ebola is not some unknown virus, we have 99.9% of the answers we need to recognize, contain, and treat any cases that occur, form, or come into the US. Shutting down air travel should be reserved for extreme things, such as a disease that either a: has an incubation period shorter than an international flight, b: is highly contagious from asymptomatic persons, c: has unknown symptoms or is hard to recognize, d: has an unknown transmission method, etc. etc.

Ebola doesn't meet any of those criteria (at least not right now, although current data suggests that the Zaire Ebolavirus doesn't mutate rapidly in human populations): a: incubation period is at a minimum days, b: if you're contagious, you're showing extreme symptoms, c: we know how to recognize it, d: we know how it is and is not transmitted.

Last edited:

Jasmine

Cases of getting Ebola from an animal are about as rare as someone getting HIV from a monkey nowadays. This is evident in the fact that there's really only been enough major outbreaks of Ebola to count on two hands, if not one. Contain the illness, then worry about the source.

If the virus were one that jumps species very frequently, then they'd have to worry about the source. But it's not really something that I think they should focus on right now.
No, you're completely wrong about that. How do you think an outbreak starts? With an infected animal, of course. It's most definitely not as rare as you're claiming for it to be. In fact, in past outbreaks, a lot of people got Ebola just from touching (and eating too, of course) infected primates. Plus, you're forgetting how new this disease is - and the fact that so much is unknown and that so much research is still being done (for example, if dogs can get infected with Ebola). The number of previous outbreaks is completely irrelevant to this outbreak and the fact that the disease can be easily spread though animal contact, but it does prove that you can't claim something such as that it's rare to get Ebola from an infected animal, because of the newness of the disease and the ongoing research. Seriously the disease was only discovered in 1976. There have been a total of about 28 Ebola outbreaks since then, by the way. Whether the outbreak is major or not is irrelevant as well... perhaps some of the less serious outbreaks had more infected animals involved and the sources were identified (that's how it seems to be with at least some of the cases). Ever think of that? Who says that an outbreak consisting of cases based on animal contact have to be major outbreaks? If it's that obvious as to what the source is, it doesn't make sense for the outbreak to be "major". You're also forgetting that each outbreak has the possibility of belonging to a different species of the virus. The mortality rate of the specific species has to be factored in to whether an outbreak is "major" or not. The current outbreak belongs to the Zaire species, which has a really high mortality rate (of about 88%), is also considered to be the most deadly, and is responsible for the largest number of outbreaks. However, new species are also still being discovered with each outbreak (the last one discovered was in about 2007), so you can't compare one outbreak to another unless the exact conditions are the same, especially considering early treatment of those infected is critical in determining their survival, thus lowering the chance of an outbreak being a "major" one.

And if the illness can't be contained due to an active source, I repeat: it's pointless. If it can be contained, then that's a different story. But it's been almost a year so far and it hasn't been able to, so that says something.

I never said it jumped species frequently. However, it's certainly possible for an infected animal to infect another species - specific ones only (some mammals), of course, but it can spread to other species nonetheless. Yet again, every single case doesn't necessarily come from human contact; it's obviously a strong possibility that some of these cases are coming from contact with an infected animal. Right now, animals aren't thought to be majorly involved with this outbreak, however, you never know, and that's exactly my point. If they're still researching it, then it's obviously a possibility. Actually, it's part of a preventative measure used with outbreaks. Not only are people advised to keep animal contact rare and handle infected animals with protective care, but the meat of suspected infected animals needs to be cooked thoroughly. You act like it's not a possibility or something that they've considered because it poses no threat, but you're wrong, and that's proven by the actions that are being taken with suspected animals (and there actually seem to have been some cases confirmed to be transmitted through animal contact during this outbreak, but obviously the CDC won't release specific numbers - at least I've yet to see any). Anything is a possibility, and that's my point. I don't really care what they do unless it affects me personally, however, I do believe more than what is currently being done could be done.

Overall, we'll just have to see though. If they don't contain it soon, they'll eventually look more into the original source and any ongoing sources anyway.

Last edited:
Right now my moderating powers aren't working correctly in the debaters section; once they are fixed, I will merge the two duplicate threads :)

(And in contribution to a point brought up above: people catch diseases/viruses from the animal source often enough. Case in point: hantavirus. This is another hemorrhagic fever similar to ebola, only in this case you get it from rodents. It's more common in south western states.)

To conclude everything: Ebola is not a problem we can handle it and the media is scaring the American populus. THANKS MEDIA :D
My aunt & uncle were visiting yesterday and my uncle made a handful of subtle jokes about the overreaction of Ebola, but this had to be the best:

Aunt: How to do you clean your Keurig? I heard there can be mold buildup.
Uncle: Ebola. O_O It's everywhere! O_O

Again, joking, but that sums up the general reaction towards Ebola. :p

Anyway, the media was what I was mainly referring to in my first post. I never said I was against vaccinations (quite the contrary); just the way the media speaks about them by fear mongering. I believe everyone should be prompted to learn about all relevant diseases and prevention/treatment options before blindingly allowing the media to push you through the Walgreen's door. It's important to be educated of the dangers of both diseases and immunizations. My grandfather and mom both have never had the flu, but became deathly ill after receiving the flu vaccine (several times). My sister had an allergic reaction to DTaP. Given my family history and potential risks involved, I've been able to make the choice not to be (fully) immunized. It's difficult to explain this concept to nurses and doctors and I'm still repeatedly pushed to get a flu shot even after explaining my reasoning. :sneaky: My point is, many people will believe whatever the media and medical "experts" tell us. Through the fear mongering, many people allow themselves to be convinced it's the inevitable truth and are persuaded to do whatever is encouraged without doing proper outside research beforehand. That's my problem and not vaccinations themselves. The same goes for the inflated coverage of any potentially deadly scenario. Like, I dunno, Ebola. :dizzy: By ALL means inform us, but don't scare us. I didn't realize clicks were more important than hysteria.

Whispered

I mean, people die from drinking water each year. Should we stop drinking water?

Flu shots are overwhelmingly beneficial, and you're actually more likely to die of the flu that could have been prevented by the shot, than you are to die from the shot itself. I understand weighing the risks yourself though - and completely agree with it. If you're more susceptible to illness for whatever reason (HIV, genetics) that your doctor may not know about, you should consider it differently than someone perfectly healthy.

Ebola is literally being covered as if the moon is about to crash into the earth, where only a tiny particle of dust is, and it's going to burn up before it gets here anyway. Analogies :D