Etsy ban

Zelena

So as of yesterday (6/18/15) etsy has banned the selling of wiccan/pagan items that suggest/promise a physical change. To me that hurts my freedom of religion as I am a wiccan. What do you all think about this? I know it won't be on the news or even trending of social media sites so I thought I should ask what this community feels.

Whispered

First of all, I'd like to point out that "freedom of religion" only applies to the government, not to private citizens/organizations/companies such as Etsy.

Second of all, are they banning all items that suggest/promise physical change, or just wiccan/pagan items? I'd be all for a ban on items that are being sold to promote things that have no proof behind them (regardless of what religion they are).

Note that I'm not trying to suggest that wiccan items don't actually do things, but only that there are some people on Etsy selling items behind which there is no proof/effect.

Whispered

Actually, upon further review, the ban isn't banning anything that promises a change: Only those "metaphysical services" that promise a change - which were in fact always banned unless they provided some physical item when bought (a picture of the spell being cast is the example given).

Selling an item that's a "good luck charm" or a love token or whatever you call them isn't against the new rules - the only thing against these new rules is someone who does something on their end of the transaction (seller) that then says that the buyer will see results eventually. The only thing that seems to be against the rules now would be selling "prayers" for someone (in a Christian sense).

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
The only thing that seems to be against the rules now would be selling "prayers" for someone (in a Christian sense).
Now this reference made me laugh. Kudos.

It is unequivocal that man should already know that if he/she is selling a prayer, then it isn't actually a prayer. How this is not common sense in the minds of some, is beyond my level of tolerance for such acts. If man cannot learn that benefiting from another's misfortunes, regardless of what they believe their religious affiliation is (I'm well aware that certain people change it frequently based on personal bequeaths or whatever is befitting to them at the current time - which mind you is also disingenuous to the self), then their own downfall will begin before it even ends in every physical and metaphorical sense.