Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

I am a Christian, but I believe in evolution to some extent. However, the Big Bang theory never made sense to me. I don't know. If there was nothing to begin with, how could've something blew up and then created everything ?? I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monorail

I am a Christian, but I believe in evolution to some extent. However, the Big Bang theory never made sense to me. I don't know. If there was nothing to begin with, how could've something blew up and then created everything ?? I

Although most scientific communities vastly separate the big bang and evolution as two separate things, I'll address your comment.

I wrote this to someone a while back. Although long, you will understand the concept if you read it for what it's worth.

I know a little about math and physics; I know a lot more about words. When you math/science people start talking about asymptotes and limits and singularities and macrostates and event horizons and stuff, I sort of get the basics but quickly glaze over. I have put some thought to this question, though, - and I think the problem with it is that most people think that they aren't smart enough to fathom it because it is so complex; but the reality is more that the question they are contemplating is faulty and they are exploring the limits of the language that they think in. Math people push through because math is another language that is better for explaining this stuff; but very few people speak the math language.

So, here is my shot at this old brain bender, for the rest of us:
"A time with nothing" is an absurdity; it is just a silly mental construct that bears no resemblance to reality that for some reason we all try to contemplate.
Our language supposes that "time" and "space" are two different things. When you think to yourself in English, you therefore are handicapped in solving this riddle (and for what its worth, every other language I know of has the same exact problem except for math language, which so few speak). Einstein demonstrated that "time" and "space" are just two names we use to describe four different dimensions of the same thing. ("Space" being a combined name for the three dimensions of length, width, and height.) Hold that thought for a second.

So, what is the "nothing" that we try so hard to contemplate? The empty vacuum of space? Well that's easy to imagine because the universe has lots of it all over. But, all of that has the potential at least for matter to come along and occupy it. So that's still "something" then.

OK, so the "nothing" then must be a condition of "no space." AHA- this is the "before the big bang" question. What was there BEFORE the big bang - that is the time of nothingness. What was it like? But wait, back to Einstein: if there is time, then there is not "nothingness" because TIME ITSELF is "something" and it is permanently joined to "space" - you can't separate them.

So you are really asking "what if there were no universe" but that's just a silly question because there is a universe.

No, no, BEFORE the big bang - there was no universe then, you say. But without having a universe, you can't have a "before" because time itself is part of the universe. You just found the limit of the English language that is handicapping you.
So, the big bang doesn't mean that "nothingness existed" (we get it now - that concept itself is an oxymoron), and then nothingness was suddenly replaced with somethingness. What it means, is that we have discovered one end of one of the dimensions of the universe: the time dimension.

I'm pretty laid back and open-minded when it comes to these topics. I believe anything can happen and anything can be in existence. I don't dwell on what I can't see or isn't scientifically proven and go with a "let's cross that bridge when we get there" attitude. I don't care what was or will be - whether it be something as simple as evolution or complex as alien life in outer space. If discovering more about it can make a positive change on the world, great! Otherwise, I don't see the big deal. My dad is a crazy Christian conspiracy theorist who is absolutely against the idea of evolution, so that's probably why I'm a bit numb to it in general. It's fascinating, but I don't spend too much time contemplating it.

What do I believe? I believe in intelligent design. Yes, I'm a Christian, but I don't believe the world was made in what we consider seven consecutive days and I don't believe Adam & Eve were the first humans. Science definitely rules over that, in my mind. For example, I believe dinosaurs could've been God's way to (literally) test the waters. What's so wrong about that? The way I see it, He made this beautiful world for us, designing it perfectly to sculpt and change through time making way for new life. This includes evolution. Shouldn't I be able to give Him that credit? The Bible wasn't written by God directly, so I don't see why I have to comply to and believe every single word written. Even 1 Thessalonians 5:21 says to test/question everything, but keep what is good. I remember reading that for Advent last year and it really stuck with me.

Whether or not I believe we came from primates is something I haven't decided yet, but knowing we have body parts we no longer need/our pinky fingers are getting shorter alone is enough for me to believe in the possibility, if not certainty of evolution. My answer to everything in life is "why not?", so...WYNAUT? :bounce:

Evolution is pretty much a proven concept. It's not a matter if you believe in a God or anything like that, evolution happens. People automatically think evolution is all about humans being monkeys, but it's a lot more than that.

I'm not the most religious person and i do happen to see the sense in evolution but I just get annoyed when science teachers tell us these things and expect us to just accept it as the truth. I honestly don't feel it's 100 % proven. I mean for it really to be 100 % true they would have to go back in time wouldn't they? They're all theories but they teach it to us and expect us to just accept whatever is put into their curriculum as true. I don't know it just seems like they expect us to be close-minded to what all these scientists have put together as true. I think I'm more of a see it to believe kind of person.

I mean I do believe in Evolution but I just feel we're told things are 100 % true despite the small chance that everything happened a different way. It makes sense and I really don't doubt it too much but I am willing to accept that there are other ways it could have happened that we haven't yet figured out. It took us until Darwin, which is not too long ago compared to the time we've been around, to figure out it even existed.

Last edited:

Monorail

science does not disprove religion and religion does not disprove science. both can coincide with each other

I agree with this to an extent, but when one says that all in the universe operates through set laws, and the other says that there is a living being that transcends these laws, they don't necessarily compliment.

In the last 200 years humans have evolved beyond using their appendix... there's that.
We've observed pathogens evolve out of the reach of drugs within years.

There's no question that evolution/natural selection happens. The debate is whether that process drove humans into existence. My personal inclination is that, although it was extremely unlikely for humans to evolve, it was possible. However, it doesn't really matter how we got here; we're here regardless.

science does not disprove religion and religion does not disprove science. both can coincide with each other

I agree with this to an extent, but when one says that all in the universe operates through set laws, and the other says that there is a living being that transcends these laws, they don't necessarily compliment.
Not necessarily. One of those huge scientist types said something to the effect of, "I believe in a higher being who created the laws that govern the universe, but does not interfere with them." That's religion and science without contradiction.

Monorail

In the last 200 years humans have evolved beyond using their appendix... there's that.
We've observed pathogens evolve out of the reach of drugs within years.

There's no question that evolution/natural selection happens. The debate is whether that process drove humans into existence. My personal inclination is that, although it was extremely unlikely for humans to evolve, it was possible. However, it doesn't really matter how we got here; we're here regardless.

Not necessarily. One of those huge scientist types said something to the effect of, "I believe in a higher being who created the laws that govern the universe, but does not interfere with them." That's religion and science without contradiction.

Right, but the basis of science is observation and evidence, both of which do not support the idea of a supernatural being.

Science doesn't aim to disprove religion because it doesn't need to. Evolution definitely happened, i just wish scientists would stop being so humble with theories and just use a different word/phrasing like, as factual as can possibly be, since clearly religion likes to warp the word into "hypothesis".

Status
Not open for further replies.