Google Chrome issues

While i hate that this has happened, i think Amy should come up with a better solution.

Like write a new game client that doesn't use or depend on shockwave. The platform is totally outdated, and i agree with browsers decisions to stop supporting it. Cause if she does not, slowly but surely, the game will stop working for everyone.

It is only a matter of time of course. I think making this game more future-ready should be a top priority.

Grizeus

What is happening?
While i hate that this has happened, i think Amy should come up with a better solution.

Like write a new game client that doesn't use or depend on shockwave. The platform is totally outdated, and i agree with browsers decisions to stop supporting it. Cause if she does not, slowly but surely, the game will stop working for everyone.

It is only a matter of time of course. I think making this game more future-ready should be a top priority.
She's said that when she's done updating VMK herself, she'll make it open source - so that anyone else could make it future proof if they wanted.

She's said that when she's done updating VMK herself, she'll make it open source - so that anyone else could make it future proof if they wanted.
She already is (was at least, this is old) working on a HTML5 client. http://forums.myvmk.com/threads/html5-client-screenshots.22606/

I think she should begin working and focusing on finishing it, as the article she linked it looks like browsers are starting to drop support for older plugins, like the one MyVMK is using.

Cause as i said above, its come very very close, and i see a day where this game is unplayable because of it.

Nnilak

Did you understand my fix for it? It works for me now.
No not really lol. But I was only at my computer for 5 minutes before I went to class. I'll look into it more when I get home from class.
But that website Amy posted said that we can enable/disable only temporarily so I need to find an alternative anyway until the HTML5 client is out I suppose :p

Grizeus

What is happening?

Do any of you get this?[DOUBLEPOST=1429198558][/DOUBLEPOST]This happened to me today......well last night but I woke up and ya.... x.x
Yes, Bunz, that's what we're all referring to.

Here's the fix that I did...

Type chrome://plugins/ into an empty tab and hit enter. You'll see the list of plugins that Chrome is trying to use.
Scroll down to the Adobe Shockwave plugin, and check the box "Always Allowed to Run". Then restart Chrome, and it will hopefully work.

Well, it was working fine, and then it stopped. However what Amy says is right and that fixed the problem, for now.

RebeccaRock

@A_PurplePirate was just talking about this issue and started seeing it on Wednesday. Thank you to everyone for the insight and help identifying what is happening and ways to address it.

iamabigdisfan

I was able to use chrome this morning. When I just tried I got a message that it don't have Adobe Shockwave player installed.

Went through Chrome help and found something that might help. In the address bar type in chrome:plugins Find Adobe Shockwave player ( scroll to the bottom) click Always allowed to run. This might be a solution, but I really don't know.

Last edited:

Grizeus

What is happening?
The Chrome Plugins menu at first didn't list Shockwave for me... but then, I think after I uninstalled Shockwave and reinstalled it, then restarted Chrome, it listed Shockwave in the plugins menu. From there, it should definitely work if you disable it, then enable it again, checking the Always Run option.[DOUBLEPOST=1429320364][/DOUBLEPOST]And again, just type in chrome://plugins/ into a blank address bar to pull up the installed plugins menu.

aliceblue

I'm going to repost Amy's reply here as it's the only fix for Chrome right now, albeit a temporary one. Anything else being suggested is not going to work because it does not address the problem.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ushing-java-off-the-web-by-disabling-plugins/

Shockwave uses that, so... there's nothing I can do. You can go here to turn it back on: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi but it won't work forever, so you might have to switch to a different browser for MyVMK to work.
The bottom line is this: A time is coming when we will no longer be able to use Chrome for MyVMK, and there's nothing we can do about it. There are other browsers that work with the game (such as Firefox and Opera for Windows) but I expect that all browsers will eventually phase out support for NPAPI plugins.

From reading other threads, MyVMK Pal apparently uses a specialized browser that should continue to work as long as it is not updated by the developer.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
I'm going to repost Amy's reply here as it's the only fix for Chrome right now, albeit a temporary one. Anything else being suggested is not going to work because it does not address the problem.

The bottom line is this: A time is coming when we will no longer be able to use Chrome for MyVMK, and there's nothing we can do about it. There are other browsers that work with the game (such as Firefox and Opera for Windows) but I expect that all browsers will eventually phase out support for NPAPI plugins.

From reading other threads, MyVMK Pal apparently uses a specialized browser that should continue to work as long as it is not updated by the developer.
It's not exactly a "specialized" version. It's just a version of Chrome that MyVMK should continue to work with. I have no intentions of changing it unless somehow it breaks.