How to: Downgrade Google Chrome to version 44 and get myVMK (npapi/Shockwave) working again!

savvy.max

Trading: http://tinyurl.com/savvymax
Share this Post using the following URL: http://tinyurl.com/myvmkchrome

This Tutorial is for 64 bit Windows (it will work for 32 bit if you can locate the 32 bit standalone installer of version 44)

Well it seems Google has finally disabled npapi plugins forever with version 45 this tutorial will show you how to downgrade to Google Chrome version 44 for Windows.

WARNING: Downgrading your Google Chrome and disabling automatic google updates leaves you open to future exploits that may exist or will exist in the near future and leaves you open to being exploited. You can reduce your exposure by using Google Chrome only for myVMK. You should switch to Firefox as your default Internet Browser to protect yourself from exploits after you have downgraded to version 44.

Step 1. Verify you have version 45 by starting up Google Chrome and Going to Settings > About Google Chrome OR going to chrome://chrome/ if you see the following popup

click the No box. If it says version 44 like below then skip to Step 5.

Step 2. Download the Windows 64bit Complete Chrome Standalone Installer of version 44.0.2403.157 I have uploaded it to Google Drive for you but if you want feel free to try to find the old version elsewhere or use neowin.net
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_MOQIelSysMG5YQk8zR0JkSDg/view?usp=sharing
or
http://www.neowin.net/news/google-chrome-4402403157

Step 3. Uninstall Google Chrome version 45. Goto Control Panel > Uninstall a program OR paste [ Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features ] into your Explorer Window. Find Google Chrome in the list of installed programs and Uninstall it.
Note: If you are having issues uninstalling Chrome Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete Keys > Select Task Manager > Kill the chrome.exe Process

Step 4. Install Google Chrome version 44 using the Standalone Installer downloaded in Step 2.

Step 5. Disable Google Update Services. This will require accessing the Services menu in the Control Panel Either use the Windows Key + R then run "%windir%\system32\services.msc" or goto Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools > Services shortcut

Find The Google Update Service (gupdate) Stop the Service if it is running then Select the dropdown so it is Disabled.
when your window looks like the image below you know you have done this step correctly

Press OK Box then Repeat this for the secondary service Google Update Service (gupdatem).

Step 6. Enable npapi plugins so Shockwave works again. Open Chrome and browse to
chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
Click the Enable NPAPI setting.

After that, click "Relaunch Now" at the bottom of your Chrome window. Note: Closing and reopening Chrome is not sufficient, you must click the "Relaunch Now" button.

Step 7. Disable Google Automatic Updates Plugin. If at anytime during the use of Google Chrome you get the UAC (User Account Control ) popup for Google Update simply click the No box. Once Google Chrome is installed to version 44 we need to disable the automatic upgrade to version 45 by opening up Google Chrome and going to the following URL:
chrome://plugins
find the following and disable it

if Google Chrome only shows 5 Plugins currently loaded then shutdown Chrome and restart it until you are able to find and disable it as shown. You should also enable Adobe Shockwave to always run by checking the box as shown at chrome://plugins

Done

Last edited:

cruise

Thanks @savvy.max
Two of our computers updated even though we had them disabled. We did the above and we are good to go. I did notice that if you enable the NPAPI first, then go back to the plugins, all the plugins will show up and you can disable the automatic updates. The first computer we did, we tried to disable the automatic updates first, but we could not get more than 5 plugins to show up, no matter how many times we restarted. By enabling NPAPI first, we had no issues seeing all the plugs in after.

Africaelena

For some reason when I shut my computer off last night, it updated Chrome 44 to 45 even though I disabled automatic updates. I uninstalled 45 and reinstalled 44 again no problem though.

@savvy.max i followed your steps and disabled updates this morning none of computers would allow me to play on chrome, they all updated to 45 again, so not sure what is up with that so no using chrome here, went to safari instead

savvy.max

Trading: http://tinyurl.com/savvymax
@cruise I updated my How To: to reflect your suggested changes thank you. You should do the additional step to disable the Google Update Services to prevent automatic updates other users have experienced.

@Africaelena I added additional steps to hopefully further prevent Google Chrome from updating hopefully this will fix you from having to uninstall / reinstall.

@ladycooper I apologize for not being more thorough with my tutorial and believe it will work now but I understand why you decided to go with safari. thank you for the feedback !!

cruise

@savvy.max Thanks and I did the control panel thing as well.

To access the google services on Windows 10:

Windows Start>File Explorer>Control Panel>Systems and Security>Administrative tools>Services. Then search for the google software updater as well as google update service. I had two google update services as well as the google software update.

It was just a bit different getting to the services in Windows 10 for those that already have it.