Kicked out at 18 years old.

WHO

Do you believe kids should be kicked out of the house when they turn 18 because they are "considered an adult now".

Discuss.

Exodus

Kicking out your kids at the age of 18 are mostly done by American parents... it's somewhat of a culture here as many just move out for college. I know my Asian and Hispanic friends think it's sort of rude lol. It's all about parenting. My older sister whose in college still lives with us because my mom refuses to allow her to go to college in another state. Other parents probably feel their children have been too nested and deserve to learn to be self-sufficient.

I don't think they should be kicked out at 18, but then again they do need to be more independent. Not everyone at the age of 18 are ready to leave, they need time to find a good job, good apartment/house, and a good car. They should get the choice whether to leave at 18 or not because they may not be ready. But they shouldn't still be living with their parents at like 30 or something.

allison

If the parents want to, no one can stop them. It's not very nice, but they don't have to let their kids stay in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew

Do you believe kids should be kicked out of the house when they turn 18 because they are "considered an adult now".

Discuss.
No, and I don't see why this should ever happen. Unless the person is a threat to the other members of the household, then there should be no reason to kick them out. When you are eighteen, yes, you are considered an adult, but that doesn't mean you're really an adult yet. Most eighteen year olds have no money or at least not nearly enough for them to survive without their parents. If people are kicked out at eighteen they will have no where to go. When a person is financially stable and can live on their own without having to worry about being homeless, then it is acceptable to kick them out.

Also, about your original post, do you mean every eighteen year old? If so, then kicking all eighteen year olds out is pointless as a majority of eighteen year olds are in college (community college or a college/university they live at) and will need a place to stay (for community college, a place to stay all year, and for residential students, a place to stay during breaks and summer).

Even the eighteen year olds that are not enrolled in college are most likely working a job and most likely making minimum wage. It's not like they just sit around their house all day and be lazy.

You can't just expect an eighteen year old to be as successful as their parents once they turn eighteen. In this economy, with the unemployment pretty high, and people having a difficult time finding employment, why should parents assume their child will be fine since they are "legally" an adult?

Last edited:

karkat

nah son and im glad my parents didnt have that sort of mindset cause when i turned 18 i was 100% not ready/able to fend for myself and i wasnt at the healthiest or most self-sufficient point in my life due to chronic illness and stuff

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I don't think it should be done because it's kinda cruel, but it is entirely up to the parents to decide whether or not to actually go through with it

Klamath

wants to go to france
Even though they are considered "of age" in the U.S., it doesn't mean they're ready to go out into the world by themselves. At 18 many kids are still naive and have few professional skills to get them very far, not to mention their still-developing maturity and critical thinking skills. I think the kicking-out-at-18 trend is predominantly an American thing (although it happens all around the world, just more frequently in the U.S.), because many other cultures don't tend to kick out their kids until they have a career or are starting their own family.

But hey, some people were kicked out at age 18 and have done fine; some have not, unfortunately. Depends on the kid, really.

kalyee

I feel like it's okay so long as you're not sending your kid off into the world with no resources to be homeless/put in danger.
My parents have done/are doing the same to me many times and it's been really difficult to make it when you have no money, no help, and no place to go.
If your kid is being lazy and disrespectful/problematic, then it's definitely reasonable to give them an ultimatum - shape up or leave - or if financial circumstances are causing you to need them to relocate, but just to say "hey you're an adult now, see ya" I feel is a bit irresponsible/cold on the parents part.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
In my family, we were never kicked out when we turned 18. We were given a choice at 18 and after graduating High School. It was you either went to community college/technical school if you weren't going away to college, or you paid rent. And the rent was always fair and low, 150$-200$.

I know for some families it's customary for the child to leave at 18 whether they're attending college or not, but it's all preferential to that family and those parents. I don't have a problem with the parents encouraging the child to leave once they're of age so long as that 18yr old has a stable job and is given fair and ample time to find a place to live and a roommate if necessary and collect their things. If they just kick them out and say ":wave: You're an adult now. Have fun." that's pretty cold and honestly isn't the way in my opinion to encourage someone to embrace adulthood and learning to live on their own.

i'd kick my kid out to like military school if that kid was effing up. but life on the streets not so much. I wasn't able at 18 to live on my own, doubt my kid will be

In my family, we were never kicked out when we turned 18. We were given a choice at 18 and after graduating High School. It was you either went to community college/technical school if you weren't going away to college, or you paid rent. And the rent was always fair and low, 150$-200$.
exactly.

If I recall correctly (I was very young), my older sisters chose to move (well, eldest was asked) to our grandparents' at 16. Having just turned 18 myself, I've been contemplating this topic. I've been reassured by my mom that I may stay as long as I'd like. I don't have college plans yet and I plan to apply for Disney, so...I don't see the sense in moving. I can't take care of myself financially, and, believe it or not... I LIKE my mom and she likes me. I don't want to leave. :o I know some people don't like their parents and run away ASAP, but if your family is cool with you staying at home I don't think it's a wise decision to move unless it's for college or a stable job. The way I see it, parents should help their children and teach them important lessons in their first years of adulthood. I don't know about anyone else, but I think this will be the time I'll need my parents wisdom the most. I simply couldn't fend for myself if I were kicked to the curb.

When my sisters moved back in, my mom charged them rent, but they worked and didn't do any household chores. I clean, cook, care for the dog, garden, coupon, and make my own cleaning, beauty, and food items to help save money. I'll run errands when I get my license. So, I figure that's my form of rent. I'm sure I'd be charged rent if I moved out and came back, but I'd still be happy to do housework. If you bothered to teach your kids basic life skills (it's becoming increasingly rare, unfortunately), you just got yerself a free housekeeper. :dishes:

I've heard stories of kids coming home on their 18th birthday to find their stuff packed away in the driveway without warning. That's cruel on any level. How is that teaching them a good lesson? :question: It's one thing to encourage them, like Yuna said, but kick them out at 18? I'd never do that to my own children, even if I ended up hating them. :stare: So, no, I don't believe it's the right thing to do if they're not ready.