LF Amy to Ban Friendly Games

Lol this is such a terrible argument that comes up anytime anything to do with items or value in the game come up. "Nothing matters!! Their just pixels!!!". It's funny, though, most of the people who use this argument are the ones with tons of items. Why not just give them all away? I mean according to you, their just pixels. If your that attached to a bunch of virtual items, I don't know what to tell you.
yeah nothing matters we're all gonna die duh and what are these items which you speak of because i'm poor on this game

Wonder

@Wonder Though the more keys one has = the better chances of obtaining a prize. I was in the treasure room when the chest prizes first got updated this month. First person to pull the new hat? Someone who had ~45 gold keys from friendlies. That's not even a realistic number to obtain from competitive pirates.
Well if you win every game like you said in another post, that’s already twice as often as friendly players win so you should have more gold keys than any of us..
the vmk economy will never healthily exist to show off notoriety, sweaties
say it with me
notoriety in vmk doesn't exist
shut it Lana Del Rey!!!

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
Well if you win every game like you said in another post, that’s already twice as often as friendly players win so you should have more gold keys than any of us..

shut it Lana Del Rey!!!
Nah, I never said I win every game. Please refer to me where I said that instead of overexaggerating my words for your own argument.

But let's do the math, eh?

Let's say an average competitive game takes 5 minutes. Some take less time, some take the full 9 minutes, all depends on how many people and who your facing against. But 5 minutes is a fair estimate, if not generous.

You need 14 wins for a gold key. We'll say I win 75% of competitive pirate matches I play. The time to get 45 keys = (14 (wins per key) * 5 (minutes per game) * 45 (number of keys))/0.75 (winrate)

Comes to a grand total of 4200 minutes, or 70 hours (10 hours a day since keys expire in 7 days)

Let's say a friendly takes a minute to complete, with a 50% win rate. (14 * 1 * 45)/0.5

Is 1260 minutes, or 21 hours (3 hours a day).

So no, I do not earn more keys than friendly players.

Wonder

Nah, I never said I win every game. Please refer to me where I said that instead of overexaggerating my words for your own argument.

But let's so the math, eh?

Let's say an average competitive game takes 5 minutes. Some take less time, some take the full 9 minutes, all depends on how many people and who your facing against. But 5 minutes is a fair estimate, if not generous.

You need 14 wins for a gold key. We'll say I win 75% of competitive pirate matches I play. The time to get 45 keys = (14 (wins per key) * 5 (minutes per game) * 45 (number of keys))/0.75 (winrate)

Comes to a grand total of 4200 minutes, or 70 hours (10 hours a day since keys expire in 7 days)

Let's say a friendly takes a minute to complete, with a 50% win rate. (14 * 1 * 45)/0.5

Is 1260 minutes, or 21 hours (3 hours a day).

So no, I do not earn more keys than friendly players.
It’s really not that serious. Just play the game for fun like it was developed to be.

PlayerOne

Happy to talk with anyone else who wants to share their thinking in a logical way on the issue, I enjoy hearing and understanding both sides of an argument, but there's only so far "lol it's just a game" can extend a discussion.

goobie

violent delights
As there's been a large number of responses to this thread since my last reply and I'm avoiding writing a paper I imagine my response is going to be far lengthier than anyone truly wants to read. I apologize in advance.

P.S. Promoting competition is a good thing for VMK. This game used to be so fun when people used to play competitively
Sure. Except I almost never have a problem finding a competitive game unless it's 3 pm or 3 am. It's not hard to play competitively. I promise.

competition in POTC is what made even OGVMK so much fun back in the day
The reality is that this is not the only thing that made OG fun. There are so many things that are different now (we're all older, there are not as many players, most people don't want to just hang out and chat, etc) that friendly POTC is not what has taken a little bit of the magic away from the game. There are a thousand other things I would change before banning friendlies.

Your point of "As long as they're not impeding on the enjoyment of others (which again, it's not really hurting or you or preventing you from playing normally)." is entirely false given the ratio of friendly games to non-friendly games.
It's not entirely false. I played at least twenty competitive games yesterday. Were there more friendly games going on? Sure. But it did they impede on my ability to battle? Not in the slightest.

I feel like it is cheating and it takes the fun out of it and makes it really boring. I'd rather fight and have fun and even if I lose at least its still more fun than just trading wins and taking the easier route to earn something. It gives you an incentive to get better at the game and adds the competitiveness that made the OG game so much fun.
I totally get this. I hate participating in friendlies for a large number of reasons which is why I also prefer battle. I'm not going to pretend like it isn't a little bit frustrating when I see people who play friendlies winning things that I felt like they didn't really earn. At the end of the day though this is still just VMK.

I suggest possibly separating them into two separate lobby's. One for friendly, and one for battle. Maybe even limiting the amount of credits earned for Capture the Flag.
I truly think this is the best solution. I'm in the same boat as you where I really do understand both sides. It's a tricky situation and I think separating the lobbies and limiting credits is probably the best solution to make everyone (decently) happy.

And you failed to answer my question: why should a player who is not playing the game earn more rewards than a player who plays and wins the game?
Because, technically, they are still putting time and minimal effort into it. I also don't think that they're earning 800 a game during double credits like one can do playing a legitimate competitive game. I don't care or have the mental capacity to do the math so don't quote me on that though. Just a guess.

I'm just laughing at sjw backlash friendly is annoying but I learned to not care what people do if it doesn't effect me in anyway like I get your arguments but why do you care? if you get upset over someone getting virtual keys by doing nothing then idk what to tell you
Honestly, this is my biggest point for saying that friendlies are not a big deal. I understand that VMK can be important-ish to someone but at the end of the day, your actual life is far more important than keys on a game.

ou’re forgetting this isn’t the original VMK anymore. Almost every single private server I’ve played of ANY game alters the original mechanics to be easier or more beneficial to players.
I think this a super important point. This is not OG so I'm not sure why people still try to pretend it is.

If it is that big of a deal how about the players who are annoyed with it choose another instance to all play in regular games with each other? Simple as that... Or is that just too logical?
Because people are stubborn. I personally wouldn't mind moving to a different instance for battle but I imagine that most competitive players would be opposed to doing so as it takes an extra two seconds to go there and moving lobbies would feel like conceding and "letting the friendlies win". This isn't my personal view on it but what I imagine is the driving argument against doing so.

It's funny, though, most of the people who use this argument are the ones with tons of items. Why not just give them all away? I mean according to you, their just pixels. If your that attached to a bunch of virtual items, I don't know what to tell you.
Matching a "terrible argument" with a terrible argument of your own doesn't really get us anywhere. I see this as a counter-argument to "it's just a game" often and it just doesn't strike me as very sensical. We can view it as just a game without having to constantly prove it by giving things away.

I tried logging on this weekend to relax and play some POTC, couldn't find a ship battle game. Did see 7 different friendlies cycling in and out of the lobby though.
What time did you log on? I played dozens of competitive games this weekend. You may have to wait in the lobby for a couple minutes but it's not that difficult to find one as I mentioned way above in this post.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

@morgan Your right, while they won't be earning 800 credits like a very good game of Pirates would, it also takes much less time to do friendlies. Keys are earned in less than a third of the time for friendlies when compared to a winning player, I imagine credits would follow a similar trend, though I haven't done the math. And putting minimal effort (clicking join than having one person run a flag while they don't move) should not provide more reward than winning against players who are actually trying.

Wonder

I just don’t think it’s fair to villainize friendly players by people who are known to not play competitive fairly and make it publicly known in their forums signature. You can’t deflect the fact that no one wants to play with these types of people by saying friendly games are the reason. Especially when most people don’t have trouble finding competitive games to play. I also still stand by my statement that double credit weekends make the “problem” of friendly a lot worse.

Not @ anyone specific just an observation :)

PlayerOne

I just don’t think it’s fair to villainize friendly players by people who are known to not play competitive fairly and make it publicly known in their forums signature. You can’t deflect the fact that no one wants to play with these types of people by saying friendly games are the reason. Especially when most people don’t have trouble finding competitive games to play. I also still stand by my statement that double credit weekends make the “problem” of friendly a lot worse.

Not @ anyone specific just an observation :)
I agree with you on double credits weekends making friendlies worse 100%.

And you can dance around "not specifying" who your talking about but since it is obviously intended at me, I'm more than happy to talk about it.

Yes, I shoot when stuck. And I believe your wrong in your earlier post. Getting stuck is not completely out of somebodies control. Pirates is a game of skill, and the games hitboxes do not change between games. I rarely get stuck, and if I do, it's almost never more than a second or two before I can get out. Is that because I'm luckier than other people who get stuck? No. It's because I avoid sailing against and turning into the islands, especially in areas that are known to be easily stuck by. Let me repeat this: the games hitboxes do not change. It's the same reasoning as people complaining about shooting through certain rocks and islands. It's a part of the game. Obviously no one wants to get stuck on purpose, but the user getting stuck is at least partially at fault. Don't sail too close to islands and don't make Sharp turns into them.

If your done making comments "not" intended towards me, i would be happy to get back to discussing the topic at hand.

And I play with many people who shoot while stuck, and have been shot while stuck myself. I have never once gotten upset at that, it's on me if I get stuck and can't get out before being shot.

Wonder

I agree with you on double credits weekends making friendlies worse 100%.

And you can dance around "not specifying" who your talking about but since it is obviously intended at me, I'm more than happy to talk about it.

Yes, I shoot when stuck. And I believe your wrong in your earlier post. Getting stuck is not completely out of somebodies control. Pirates is a game of skill, and the games hitboxes do not change between games. I rarely get stuck, and if I do, it's almost never more than a second or two before I can get out. Is that because I'm luckier than other people who get stuck? No. It's because I avoid sailing against and turning into the islands, especially in areas that are known to be easily stuck by. Let me repeat this: the games hitboxes do not change. It's the same reasoning as people complaining about shooting through certain rocks and islands. It's a part of the game. Obviously no one wants to get stuck on purpose, but the user getting stuck is at least partially at fault. Don't sail too close to islands and don't make Sharp turns into them.

If your done making comments "not" intended towards me, i would be happy to get back to discussing the topic at hand.

And I play with many people who shoot while stuck, and have been shot while stuck myself. I have never once gotten upset at that, it's on me if I get stuck and can't get out before being shot.
By your logic, getting stuck wasn’t mechanic of the OG game and was not intended by the developers... so it’s an exploit in your favor, no? Just wondering how that logic works

Ms_Special

Friendly games were allowed in the original. I played them! How could you possibly ban friendly games? How would that be regulated? How do they really know if the game is actually being played without watching a group for 10+ minutes? And what if someone gets caught playing a friendly game? Ban the entire group? LOL

It's unrealistic to ban them. I play friendly games of ghosts as well. Wanna ban those too, or is it fine because it takes more time? I earn more credits by playing battle than friendly, so to me, its a bad argument to begin with.

As for shooting people when they are stuck, P1 is right. Its a game of skill. It's part of it.

Not attacking anyone personally on these issues. I just hope you understand that it's a game, and as long as no one is inherently inhibiting your ability to enjoy the game, I don't think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. No one is cheating by playing the game. Cheating is using multiple accounts or scamming others.

*no players were harmed while playing a friendly game of pirates*
xx

Edit: Plus, in other online games like Neopets, there are multiple ways to earn credits. Bank interests, restocking, stock market, betting games, etc. The ONLY way to earn creds here is to play games. Want less people to play the game? Ban friendlies.

PlayerOne

By your logic, getting stuck wasn’t mechanic of the OG game and was not intended by the developers... so it’s an exploit in your favor, no? Just wondering how that logic works
No, an exploit would be if I had someway to make others get stuck and shooting them. Other people making poor movement decisions in a game is not an exploit, lol. Am I taking advantage of their vulnerable position? Sure. And if Amy wants to fix the hitboxes on the islands so that it's harder to get accidently stuck and so you can't shoot through certain islands, I would support it.

Wonder

No, an exploit would be if I had someway to make others get stuck and shooting them. Other people making poor movement decisions in a game is not an exploit, lol. Am I taking advantage of their vulnerable position? Sure. And if Amy wants to fix the hitboxes on the islands so that it's harder to get accidently stuck and so you can't shoot through certain islands, I would support it.
Lol okay I can’t w the hypocrisy anymore...

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
that's the christmas spirit <3

(p.s - credits don't add $$$ into your real life bank account btw so no need to be condescending.)
(p.s.s. - lmk if they actually do because i could actually use some in mine.)