LF Amy to Ban Friendly Games

Horseytink

Lover of all things Disney!
you know its not as easy as it looks.
sometimes i gotta move the antenna, sometimes i lose the remote,
and sometimes my butt itches real bad.
Oh, you poor, poor thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I was trying to avoid posting in here because of the... angry... seeming... nature... of some of the posts, but to heck with it here:

This is a plan and may change in exact implementation by then, and one new feature in particular will depend on how players like the idea. Part of this change has already been added, when you enter a pirates game via a lobby, you now go back to the same instance you were in. After the new client releases, and it's stable enough to replace the old, pirates will have its regular lobbies removed. To replace them, will be three new lobbies and an infinite amount of "private lobbies".

To get to a private lobby, you must follow someone on your friends list there. You can create one, and it's "your" lobby and you can even boot people from it. The first regular lobby will be "General", this will be for playing pirates normally. The second will be "Friendlies", for playing friendlies. The third will be "Wager Matches" or something to that effect, which I'll explain in a second. When you click on pirates on the map, you have to pick one of these three every time, your friends private lobbies may also be listed there.

Wager matches will only be playable in that one lobby, the lobby itself will give you lots of warnings explaining what the lobby is for when you enter it. Essentially, they're pirates games where you still earn credits, but there's also a buy in to enter the game. You have to pay 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, or 10,000 credits to enter a game (the amount will depend on what the creator of the game puts in there, custom amounts may be allowed). You will only be charged once the game starts (at which point noone can be booted from it). The winning team gets the losing teams winnings divided among them. No refunds for this will be allowed.

In other words, you have a 2v2 ship battle match with a 1000 credit buy in, team one loses, team two gets 1000 extra credits for the game each, whilst team two loses their buy in. Same goes for any other credit amount. 1v1 games will also be allowed in this game mode, with the stipulation no new credits will be earned, only those from the buy in. However, uneven teams will never work.

I think this would be a great way to encourage people to play competitively, when they actually have something hanging in the risk when you play it. You'll still earn keys and things playing this way too, but you could potentially lose amounts of credits. Again, before you join a game it will warn you what the game is for extensively and how much it costs, and that you shouldn't play this mode unless you're willing to lose that many credits. Personally these kinds of games in other games really made them fun for me, even if I didn't like the game itself.

How does that sound? Genuinely want to hear your thoughts on this, like if you don't think I should do it then say so, the decision hasn't been fully made yet and if it doesn't sound like something the players will want then we won't do it... But I think it could be very fun, and you don't have to play this way if you don't want to.

As for actually banning friendlies, I don't think we'll do it because so many players play that way, and a lot of them enjoy it in its own right. As much as it may seem like it's pointless, some people really enjoy that kind of thing, I thought that was impossible at first to be completely honest but after witnessing it they really do. I'm not going to take something away that people actively like, where a minority dislikes it. However, I do think it should be relegated to a special lobby or private lobby so it's easier to find real games if you want to, and you don't end up playing a friendly match just because you can't find any others.

I expect the player count to increase when the new client comes out for a lot of reasons, a big one being some huge percentage (more than 50%, i can't think right now though) of players never made it into the game because of shockwave, this trend has only gotten worse over time as support for it has died. I think that will alleviate a lot of the problem too.
I love everything about this!

I think the separate lobbies will help tremendously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Pancakes

The only reason I'm for friendly is because I know myself my laptop cannot work well enough for HM or nonfriendly, my only real chance at earning creds has been friendly. Fireworks sucks, and I have no mouse for jungle. If people want to do friendly I don't see why it's everyone elses issue? For some of us that's really our only option.

Okay I was trying to avoid posting in here because of the... angry... seeming... nature... of some of the posts, but to heck with it here:

This is a plan and may change in exact implementation by then, and one new feature in particular will depend on how players like the idea. Part of this change has already been added, when you enter a pirates game via a lobby, you now go back to the same instance you were in. After the new client releases, and it's stable enough to replace the old, pirates will have its regular lobbies removed. To replace them, will be three new lobbies and an infinite amount of "private lobbies".

To get to a private lobby, you must follow someone on your friends list there. You can create one, and it's "your" lobby and you can even boot people from it. The first regular lobby will be "General", this will be for playing pirates normally. The second will be "Friendlies", for playing friendlies. The third will be "Wager Matches" or something to that effect, which I'll explain in a second. When you click on pirates on the map, you have to pick one of these three every time, your friends private lobbies may also be listed there.

Wager matches will only be playable in that one lobby, the lobby itself will give you lots of warnings explaining what the lobby is for when you enter it. Essentially, they're pirates games where you still earn credits, but there's also a buy in to enter the game. You have to pay 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, or 10,000 credits to enter a game (the amount will depend on what the creator of the game puts in there, custom amounts may be allowed). You will only be charged once the game starts (at which point noone can be booted from it). The winning team gets the losing teams winnings divided among them. No refunds for this will be allowed.

In other words, you have a 2v2 ship battle match with a 1000 credit buy in, team one loses, team two gets 1000 extra credits for the game each, whilst team two loses their buy in. Same goes for any other credit amount. 1v1 games will also be allowed in this game mode, with the stipulation no new credits will be earned, only those from the buy in. However, uneven teams will never work.

I think this would be a great way to encourage people to play competitively, when they actually have something hanging in the risk when you play it. You'll still earn keys and things playing this way too, but you could potentially lose amounts of credits. Again, before you join a game it will warn you what the game is for extensively and how much it costs, and that you shouldn't play this mode unless you're willing to lose that many credits. Personally these kinds of games in other games really made them fun for me, even if I didn't like the game itself.

How does that sound? Genuinely want to hear your thoughts on this, like if you don't think I should do it then say so, the decision hasn't been fully made yet and if it doesn't sound like something the players will want then we won't do it... But I think it could be very fun, and you don't have to play this way if you don't want to.

As for actually banning friendlies, I don't think we'll do it because so many players play that way, and a lot of them enjoy it in its own right. As much as it may seem like it's pointless, some people really enjoy that kind of thing, I thought that was impossible at first to be completely honest but after witnessing it they really do. I'm not going to take something away that people actively like, where a minority dislikes it. However, I do think it should be relegated to a special lobby or private lobby so it's easier to find real games if you want to, and you don't end up playing a friendly match just because you can't find any others.

I expect the player count to increase when the new client comes out for a lot of reasons, a big one being some huge percentage (more than 50%, i can't think right now though) of players never made it into the game because of shockwave, this trend has only gotten worse over time as support for it has died. I think that will alleviate a lot of the problem too.

This sounds great! Wager games sound like a lot of fun

Froglet

Frog + Princess = Froglet ;)
If you are on forums - and specifically, if you are commenting on this post - you care about the game, so please note this post is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings or upset anyone - just stating my opinions. Let me also say that I understand that we are discussing issues surrounding "pixels," but I feel we are actually talking about principles here. So first, I want to comment on the discussion of the "rules" of the game. Someone said that the "developer" said friendlies were allowed. I mean no disrespect to Amy, or anyone, as I am not informed as to who actually developed the game, but the game itself existed in OGVMK and was not created for MyVMK. With that said, there are instructions to the game within the game. I just read them, and they do not indicate that the "friendly" way of playing is acceptable game play - they talk about what you do if you are shot, etc. As with Jungle Cruise, Fireworks and Mansion, I feel this game should stay true to its roots. I know I have many friends with a differing opinions - and I wish I could agree with them - but in my opinion, "friendlies" is a way to farm credits, and that was not the intention of the game based on the actual rules that are shown in black and white. It might be concluded that this type of game play is hacking - or as some have put it - cheating. I am a single mother, work both a full and part time job, and find time to play competitively. I am not the best pirate, but I work at it, have fun trying, and do okay with credits and keys. No one has ever been bad to me - they may laugh at me lol - but only as I laugh at myself. Excuses are just that - excuses. The rules are the rules and I think we should play the game as Mickey intended ;).

However, since my opinion is not a popular one, apparently (lol), I would secondly like to discuss how the "infringement" issues might be addressed. I have to agree that having separate lobbies has worked in the past, and I think that is a great idea for everyone. It will allow players to go to the lobby featuring the games they most want to join. Another thing that would make it better for those who want to battle, is to activate AI players again. That way, if you want to battle, you can, regardless of other player participation. It is also a great way to practice moves, with different ships, etc. in order to improve your game. I need that - especially so that one day I can beat PlayerOne xD LOL!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post - hope it helps in some way to settle this dilemma :) <3

dean

To be honest when I first saw friendly games taking place I was livid and thought it was so dumb and unfair. Then I realized that the chances of winning an ultra-rare from keys was slim to none. You add that with working 40+ hours a week which a lot of players do (work & school) and you have literally no chance of ever being able to obtain the rare items you want. Something has to give - You either have to make items somewhat more obtainable for the group of people who work and go to school and can't dedicate more than 10 hours a week to this game, or you let the friendly players do their thing.

hi just wondering tho..... would there ever really be any way to stop this??? even if staff "banned" friendly, people could text their group of myvmk friends and say "ok lets play friendly" and do it that way without saying the word friendly on the game. there would be nobody to report the group of players bc the group of players would be the ones playing it and wouldn't report themselves. nothing would look sus because they would appear to just be a group of friends playing exclusively together.

so

someone would have to take a LOT of time out of their day to watch this group of people, making sure they say the word "friendly" so that they can instantly report them (LOL)

or

staff would have to waste their own time secretly watching the group play their game.

there are so many ways to get around that as well so this whole argument is kinda pointless. you can take turns forfeiting credits by taking turns hitting each other.

at the end of the day, there is no real way to stop friendly games.

so maybe

lets just play the game

and stop caring what other people do

because it doesn't really matter

just my thoughts, from someone who enjoys playing both versions

also, i love amy's idea for the lobbies!!

Hypnotic

I remember awhile back when friendly was hardly a thing. People would go to a different lobby for it. I hate how everyone does do friendly. I understand keys & rn crates are a thing anyone wants but why would you lower yourself to just let each other win. This game is suppose to be fun. The whole point of potc was to play together & enjoy a good time. I honestly can barely find a normal game anymore and it’s really sad because everyone is focused on keys. I kinda feel sorry for them.

Edit: idk where this comment disappeared to. But, I do like amys idea & it will definitely be cool to see but, it’s not going to change the fact that friendly games overpower normal.

Last edited:

Streetlights

Competitive POTC is fun. Its usually the only thing I enjoy on this game anymore. Yes, because of crates and winter breaks there are more games going on but as soon as the holidays are over competitve players are screwed. This has been a long term problem and will be a problem in the foreseeable future. I like the idea of a lobby for friendlies and limiting their rewards. Because it is frustrating to want to win a prize and seeing a friendly player win it within the hour.
Oops I wasnt going to read everyones response but I'm grateful to hear about the new client.

Last edited:

CaptainJax

...but you HAVE heard of me.
Ahoy.

@Amy , thanks for your work and your comments.

Thanks also to everyone for sharing your opinions.

Here is my input:

I play myVMK because I enjoy competitive POTC. I feel strongly that POTC was designed and intended to be played competitively, otherwise It wouldn't have been created.

I do understand that some people like playing friendly, but playing friendly games should not yield faster rewards than playing competitive games.

Maybe there are some ways to address that issue like creating minimum game durations (each round lasts a minimum of x minutes) or other ideas.

Playing friendly should not give any advantage to earning credits/keys/rewards over playing competitively.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, me hearties.

Last edited:

Megara

no sleep club
Here's the thing, people played friendlies in the original VMK. Was it called friendlies back then? I have no idea. But I remember having many friends in game (that I eventually met in real life -- a bunch of families playing -- kids, siblings, moms, dads, grandparents), and we would all play pirates (or mansion) and take turns winning. There were many reasons for this - some of the people in the group had disabilities and had trouble getting any kills to begin with. Some people were on a slow computer, or were on a laptop and had difficulty playing. And we weren't the only groups doing this, there were plenty of people who were. I had an account on Disboards at the time, and there was even a thread to find people who wanted to take turns and help each other out there as well.

I think the major difference here is there definitely aren't as many people playing MyVMK as there were playing original VMK. So even when people played "friendly" games in original VMK, no one noticed. I think it's nice that people have the option to play it that way if they feel that's best for them, but I understand the frustration if someone just wants to play a regular competitive game but everyone else isn't... I agree that having separate lobbies dedicated to that would help.

Last edited: