Longer Events

daniellevk

I agree with this,
and also the mac client has huge glitches when it comes to host events and theres no chat bubbles and cant see all players. SooooOOooo this is definitely not fair.

Romantic

i just feel you
Yeah this happened with both of the events this evening. For Rafiki's event, I entered room when it said 2 people in room and I ended up being 46 in queue. When the hour was up, I was 2 in queue and ended up just getting the queue prize. It was frustrating especially since I joined queue as soon as the event began, and I never got to enjoy it.
The following event I was able to join - I got in right as the event began but was 59 in queue. I got in shortly after the announcement was made that the event would be extended 20 minutes.
Similar things have been happening for about the past week. Not sure if the games are just taking longer, or if it's because more people are in the game due to the support for mac and the Halloween season.

I definitely agree that either two or more rooms need to be open for events by different hosts or the time frame should be expanded, if the hosts and staff are able to do so. That way everyone has a chance to get host prizes and enjoy the events.

I don't mind the events being busy because it reminds me of the older days of this game where the queues would be in the hundreds every day. The events back then were only an hour as well (sometimes longer) and it made the events more exciting because everyone wanted in. It made the prizes more sought after as well! I do think some of the events could be edited to help with time efficiency, though. There's one particular event this month, I think the Trick or Treat one, where you have to be the first person to roll your generator to hit 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 as well as take a teleporter to light up your scoreboard every time you hit the number (hard to explain but you'll know what I'm talking about if you played it). This queue took FOREVER because it takes a long time to play this game. Took me about 15 minutes just to play the game after I got in the host room and hopped on the ride track. This could be modified so its first to get numbers 1, 2, and 3 instead of until 5 and that could knock off lots of time. Things like that would really help!

*** Clarifying, the name of the event I was mentioning is Candypalooza.

Last edited:

alice-darling

Probably Smells Like Avocados
There's one particular event this month, I think the Trick or Treat one, where you have to be the first person to roll your generator to hit 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 as well as take a teleporter to light up your scoreboard every time you hit the number (hard to explain but you'll know what I'm talking about if you played it). This queue took FOREVER because it takes a long time to play this game. Took me about 15 minutes just to play the game after I got in the host room and hopped on the ride track. This could be modified so its first to get numbers 1, 2, and 3 instead of until 5 and that could knock off lots of time. Things like that would really help!
This was something I was going to mention as well. I think one of the main issues for time efficiency would have to be the length of time spent on the mini game for the Event. Some are fairly quick but others may take some time - and that's fine; however, I think to resolve both issues on either side would have to be: if a Staff/Host do include an Event that does take longer to complete to maybe add an additional Event that can be done quicker while people wait in the queue for the other, longer Event.

This was something I was going to mention as well. I think one of the main issues for time efficiency would have to be the length of time spent on the mini game for the Event. Some are fairly quick but others may take some time - and that's fine; however, I think to resolve both issues on either side would have to be: if a Staff/Host do include an Event that does take longer to complete to maybe add an additional Event that can be done quicker while people wait in the queue for the other, longer Event.
Or at least if they know that this event will take a longer time, that those events can be the ones that are over an hour. So with the example I mentioned above, that event could maybe be 1 1/2 hours long instead of an hour, while something like pin trading, or a "first to match my generator wins" type of event could be an hour.

I think 2 events or 2 rooms for an event would work well. I tried to get into 2 events yesteday and didnt make either of them cause I was always around 100 in queue. 2 events would cut the queue times significantly. It doesnt have to be 2 different events it could just be the same event hosted in 2 rooms and the event host could ask another staff member to cover the second room for them

I almost hesitate to suggest two events because, with more events, there are more prizes being distributed, which means the value goes down. I think a huge reason a lot of people left before was because there was no real incentive to play - host prizes were being traded for 5k at best just six-ish months ago. Host prizes are now starting to pick up, which I think draws more people into the events because they want the item that's so ~*rare*~. If there were to be two events, I would at least hope that the events themselves would be harder to win. Gotta be a solid balance between time efficiency/event difficulty/prize rarity I suppose.

saturn

I almost hesitate to suggest two events because, with more events, there are more prizes being distributed, which means the value goes down. I think a huge reason a lot of people left before was because there was no real incentive to play - host prizes were being traded for 5k at best just six-ish months ago. Host prizes are now starting to pick up, which I think draws more people into the events because they want the item that's so ~*rare*~. If there were to be two events, I would at least hope that the events themselves would be harder to win. Gotta be a solid balance between time efficiency/event difficulty/prize rarity I suppose.
can we also ban the clones from the events
the first point is a good one! i agree with famous that clones should not be allowed into events. i have been in queues and entered rooms where one person has 2 or 3 accounts going. it clogs up the line and it means that players who are only logging in with one account have a smaller chance of both entering the room and winning.

the first point is a good one! i agree with famous that clones should not be allowed into events. i have been in queues and entered rooms where one person has 2 or 3 accounts going. it clogs up the line and it means that players who are only logging in with one account have a smaller chance of both entering the room and winning.
To go off that, back when the game was slower (again, I'll reference six-ish months ago because that's when I left due to the game being so dead), the queue's would get up to maybe 50 people and probably half of them were clones. I could get through an event 5 times within the hour with just my account - I can't even imagine how many clones were obtaining prizes within that span of an hour.*
*I should mention that I'm no saint - in the past I have absolutely used clones in HOST events. I'm over that now, though, and I wouldn't be mad if they were banned. The trouble would be handling it. Some people may claim "It's not a clone - my family all plays MyVMK on one computer", others may say their friend logged onto their account on their laptop and now the staff thinks they're clones of each other, when they're really just using the same computer. I could also imagine it would be difficult to sort out the clones from the players during the time span of an event. As nice as it would be, I think it would be too complicated and I think so many people would still find a way around it.

Last edited:

somethingcool

I don't think Host items should be rare though. (And they often are not. Last week they weren't rare, despite equally long lines, because the prize wasn't as cool. More people want cat ears because they're cute --> so they're more wanted in general.)

I think rares should be much more random (like the pods/aloha flip). This is more fair, and doesn't give bias to players who 1) can always be on during these events, 2) are fast enough to get in right as it starts, and/or 3) have clones in line to increase their chances.

There are people who join the queue a few minutes late who may not get into the event. That is just ridiculous to me.

I don't think Host items should be rare though. (And they often are not. Last week they weren't rare, despite equally long lines, because the prize wasn't as cool. More people want cat ears because they're cute --> so they're more wanted in general.)
They used to be very sought after and pretty rare. Just off the top of my head, I think of R2D2 ears, which now are extremely hard to find. There are more examples, but you'd have to look back at past newsletters, and that's just a lot of work. I couldn't tell you when it stopped (maybe late 2015-early 2016?), but it very much used to be a thing. That was true to the original VMK as well! But, like you said, it does change to what is pleasing to the player, so week to week changes.
I think rares should be much more random (like the pods/aloha flip). This is more fair, and doesn't give bias to players who 1) can always be on during these events, 2) are fast enough to get in right as it starts, and/or 3) have clones in line to increase their chances.
I agree with this. Pods are great. I've had fun with every version of this (easter baskets, halloween pumpkins, turkeys, etc) and it's exciting to see what you get. It brings people together and, most importantly, brings more people online. Rares cannot be limited to just pods, however, because it's up to the user whether or not to make an item rare. There is only so much the staff can control of this aspect. There is always going to be someone wanting an item they missed, and there will probably always be someone who will jack up the price in order to make a profit (not saying it's fair, but it's the truth).
There are people who join the queue a few minutes late who may not get into the event. That is just ridiculous to me.
I wish I could say this wasn't old news. This problem has occurred since the game started back in what, 2014? And there hasn't been a solution since then. The only times people have been able to log in within the hour of an event and immediately get in was during that span of time where a lot of people quit/boycotted the game. Obviously, we don't want that problem again and we don't want the community to get to that point. I wish I had a solution as to how to fix that problem, but it probably comes down to so many factors, including more staff. Maybe as MyVMK gains its popularity again, more people will apply for staff positions, making the queues faster to go through? Who knows.

SiriuslySaintlike

"I'm holy. Holey, Fred. Geddit?"
I agree. I mean, shout out to staff, because I know y'all work hard, the events themselves are well thought out, and the rooms are great, but I think some just take too long. I feel bad saying it, because I know you put in a lot of time (on top of irl responsibilities!) to make sure that the end product is a quality and enjoyable event (which it always is). I just wish more people would get to enjoy that and see all that effort. I understand not getting in when I get in the queue and my number is 100+, however, if I get into a queue right as it begins (like today my starting number was 21) and I don't get into the room for 50 minutes, it just seems like that is a little too slow moving. That's only 30-35 people getting through your event, after it has been lengthened.

Last edited:
I agree. I mean, shout out to staff, because I know y'all work hard, the events themselves are well thought out, and the rooms are great, but I think some just take too long. I feel bad saying it, because I know you put in a lot of time (on top of irl responsibilities!) to make sure that the end product is a quality and enjoyable event (which it always is) I just wish more people would get to enjoy that and see all that effort. I understand not getting in when I get in the queue and my number is 100+, however, if I get into a queue right as it begins (like today my starting number was 21) and I don't get into the room for 50 minutes, it just seems like that is a little too slow moving. That's only 30-35 people getting through your event, after it has been lengthened.
I can agree with this one. I got in the queue immediately and was I believe 30 in the queue and just now got into the room an hour and ten minutes later. I haven't even played the game yet (I'm on the ride track waiting) but last time I played this game it took a good 10-15 minutes just being in the room, waiting to play.

VMK_Schweetz

Game Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Designer
MyVMK Staff
Just so you all know, this will be discussed over the weekend so that we can get most of the staff in one place at once to really discuss and see what might be the best solution to this issue for the time being as this will impact every host and event. Hopefully, we can come to a decision on this issue and adjust where we can. Please keep the discussion on this going! We want to know what you all think as well and take that into consideration when evaluating the best possible solution. Thank you! :)

dazedmermaid

but you can call me daze
Just so you all know, this will be discussed over the weekend so that we can get most of the staff in one place at once to really discuss and see what might be the best solution to this issue for the time being as this will impact every host and event. Hopefully, we can come to a decision on this issue and adjust where we can. Please keep the discussion on this going! We want to know what you all think as well and take that into consideration when evaluating the best possible solution. Thank you! :)
Thank you!

I agree. I mean, shout out to staff, because I know y'all work hard, the events themselves are well thought out, and the rooms are great, but I think some just take too long. I feel bad saying it, because I know you put in a lot of time (on top of irl responsibilities!) to make sure that the end product is a quality and enjoyable event (which it always is). I just wish more people would get to enjoy that and see all that effort. I understand not getting in when I get in the queue and my number is 100+, however, if I get into a queue right as it begins (like today my starting number was 21) and I don't get into the room for 50 minutes, it just seems like that is a little too slow moving. That's only 30-35 people getting through your event, after it has been lengthened.

Like all of your suggestions! Also I agree with Saint and Amy, the host events are very well thought out and I really enjoy them. Honestly I join the queues more to play the game than for the prize most of the time. But I haven't been able to get into more than 1 event this month, which is a little disappointing which is why I shared the suggestion for longer events or 2 events at the same time. I understand why some people would feel it's better to have more rare host prizes but it kind of takes away the chance for some people to enjoy host events which I feel is a lot of the reason a lot of us even log on.

As some of you may have noticed, Hosts have also been extending their events by 15 minutes or half an hour when we see the longer queues. So, we are aware of the issue. As indicated by Boo-Schweetz, we are and will be discussing this in order to come up with a good solution. I know for those who have been playing right along, it is a bit of a shock to have these long queues after so many months of shorter ones. However, the greater number of players logging on now is a very welcome development. Please be patient with us as we adjust to these changes.