[MYVMK Experience]: OS X Mavericks and Yosemite!

oatman

Today with the release of OS X Yosemite I've decided to release my in house project that I've been working on. This program is called MyVMK Experience and it is a port of Carioca's VMKPal client (http://vmkpal.com). How does all of this work exactly? Well, thanks to the XQuartz Window Management project along with components of Wine I've been able to bring to you guys a working alternative to play MyVMK on your Mac running Mavericks or Yosemite.

I would also like to personally thank Carioca as none of this would be possible without his original VMKPal client.

FAQ:
Q:
Why is this called MyVMK Experience and not VMKPal?
A: This community already has a program called "MyVMK Pal" and I don't want to confuse or intrude into their development process. The change of a name isn't to take credibility from the original VMKPal, instead the goal is to segment the projects in a friendly manner. :)

Q:
How does this work, is it safe?
A: As with all OS X applications the program is sandboxed in its own environment. The program is prohibited from messing with your local applications and files.

Q: How did you get this to load MyVMK?
A: I have extensive knowledge of x86 assembly programming. Luckily for you all Carioca wrote VMKPal in Delphi C++ which compiles straight to machine code. This allowed me to modify the components of the game along with the essentials in order to get the program to work.

Q: Why is the game running VERY slow?
A: Unfortunately this solution isn't perfect. In order to get the application to run it had to be ported over. The porting process caused the Hardware Renderer to break, which means the entire game is rendered on your CPU. This means that the FASTER the CPU you have, the faster MyVMK will run. Also the speed is effected based on the number of animations presently going on in a room, this generally only will be an issue when you first go into a room, or if the room has TONS of items.

Q: Can I make suggestions?
A: Sure, however please understand that I'm limited in coding in x86 assembly. This means that any modifications you request will have to be minimal.

Q: Has Carioca given you permission to port his software.
A: NO, he has not... I've been unable to find a way to contact him. If anybody knows him personally please inform him of this project and if he has a problem with this program have him email me using his VMKPal email address. If he does have a problem I will comply with his request and have the program removed. I will check the email SNI and header to make sure the request comes from him, no spoofing his email please. :) I would hope that he would be excited that his software has a use again, however who knows! :)

Q: The program is acting up and I CAN'T CLOSE IT!?!?
A: Calm down. Click on the MyVMK Experience icon on your Mac and press CMD+Q. If this still doesn't work hold down OPTION and right click the icon on your Dock and press Force Quit.

Q: Why is the file size so big?
A: In order to port the program over, a lot of software libraries and dependencies had to be used. There isn't much I can do about the file size. Just be patient and the file will finish downloading.

Changes Log:

Version 0.1.1c: (04/21/2015 at 10:00 PM EST)
  • A remote patch has been applied that allows MyVMK Experience to interact with an outdated version of JQuery. This is a remote patch, you do not need to redownload the client again.
Version 0.1.1b: (02/01/2015 at 5:22 PM EST)

• A remote patch has been applied that allows MyVMK Experience to interact with the new login system. This is a remote patch, you do not need to redownload the client again.
Version 0.1.1a: (12/15/2014 at x:xx AM EST)
  • The disconnect issue upon login has been resolved. A remote patch was applied by Amy that addresses the issue. Everyone should be able to login now. Note: You do not have to redownload the client for it to work. The patch was applied remotely to the MyVMK Client.
Version 0.1.1: (10/18/2014 at 6:20PM EST)
  • Fixes Xtra's Bug. OS X users will now be able to play MyVMK again!
  • Added Adobe Flash support into project. This will make way for further updates Amy plans on making in the future.
Version 0.1.0: (10/16/2014 at 11:34PM EST)
  • Initial Release. Allows Mavericks and Yosemite users to play MyVMK!

Download Links:
I have provided two download links, one is on my personal server and the other is on an external hosting site. Please choose whichever file is the fastest for you!

[Version 0.1.1/c] 355.9 MBs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k4tzo2gcje6qmk9/MyVMKExperience.dmg
[Version 0.1.0] 316.8 MBs
Links Removed

Last edited:

Sophia

Glad to see everyone can use this now :)
You let me use it back in March and I've never had a problem with it to this very date.
However, it does tend to heat up my newish MacBook Pro :( but I just take that as a sign that I shouldn't be on VMK too long for it to even heat up to begin with.

Also, do you recommend I reinstall it with the link you provided here or just continue using the one that I already downloaded a while back?
:)

oatman

Glad to see everyone can use this now :)
You let me use it back in March and I've never had a problem with it to this very date.
However, it does tend to heat up my newish MacBook Pro :( but I just take that as a sign that I shouldn't be on VMK too long for it to even heat up to begin with.

Also, do you recommend I reinstall it with the link you provided here or just continue using the one that I already downloaded a while back?
:)
I strongly recommend that you remove the old version and install this new version. It just works better. :)
Don't worry about the heat. The computer can take it. As mentioned in one of my FAQs the hardware renderer doesn't work so the entire UI is rendered on the CPU. This is what's causing your MBP to heat up. I have the EXACT same issue, however don't worry. The fans in your machine will take care of your laptop. It's basically impossible for an Intel chip to burn up as there is a fail safe built in to where the machine would shut down LONG before the CPU temp would rise high enough to be of any concern. Hope this helps! :)

Sophia

I strongly recommend that you remove the old version and install this new version. It just works better. :)
Don't worry about the heat. The computer can take it. As mentioned in one of my FAQs the hardware renderer doesn't work so the entire UI is rendered on the CPU. This is what's causing your MBP to heat up. I have the EXACT same issue, however don't worry. The fans in your machine will take care of your laptop. It's basically impossible for an Intel chip to burn up as there is a fail safe built in to where the machine would shut down LONG before the CPU temp would rise high enough to be of any concern. Hope this helps! :)
Yes this helps a ton, thank you so much again!!!

jedeye

i'm actually loading further than I would normally be allowed to, but I keep disconnecting?? does this go away if I keep trying or is something wrong?

oatman

i'm actually loading further than I would normally be allowed to, but I keep disconnecting?? does this go away if I keep trying or is something wrong?
You shouldn't be disconnecting. You're the first person to tell me about this... Does it let you in the game and then you disconnect after a few seconds or what?

welp, I give up on this! my Macbook Pro with OS Yosemite is not letting me play myvmk. I might as well call it quits and give up on revisiting the game again. :(

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
welp, I give up on this! my Macbook Pro with OS Yosemite is not letting me play myvmk. I might as well call it quits and give up on revisiting the game again. :(
Amy is working on a new client, that will work on Mac, regardless of whether or not you're on Mavericks/Yosemite! There hasn't been much about it in a while.. but there has been progress made, if you look at the development updates sub-forum.

It may be a little while until you can play, but you should eventually be able to play again:)

oatman

I have a funny feeling that the select few people that can't get this to work are running some funny antivirus software or firewall on their Mac...

Works with Yosemite for me!

Edit: It was working for me last night, now it disconnects me every time.

Last edited: