New: Forum Moderator Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

First we'd like to update you on a few staff changes. Due to health issues, @Genie has decided to step down. @Bulbasaur has also decided to leave us, as she is too busy to keep up with moderator duties due to real life interference. We would like to thank them both for their service on the forums, and wish them the best.

With that being said, we are looking to hire a few new moderators. We ask that those applying please keep in mind that working as a staff member on the forums is not an easy job; it requires much of your time and attention. If you are getting married, in school (college, high school, anything), planning on moving soon, have a family to take care of, going on frequent long vacations, have a very busy job, etc... please take that real life activity/event into consideration when applying for a moderator position. One of the reasons for the seemingly high turnover on the forums as a staff member is because most individuals do not realize how much time and energy it takes to work as a staff member. It's not easy!

Here is a checklist of things to keep in mind:

-->You should be able to spend at a minimum of two hours on the forums on most days. Some days you won't need to be on more than 30 minutes (off and on throughout the day). Other days you might need to spend more time.
-->You should have a good understanding of the English language; all of what we do here on the forums is in English, from writing up infractions to reading things posted by forum members.
-->You will be required to be professional and courteous when dealing with issues that arise on the forums. This means being able to write a reply to a concern someone might have about something on the forums and doing so without spelling errors or coming across as sounding mean/condescending, etc.
-->You must be comfortable with technology. You will have to learn how to use XenForo, infract members, handle reports, remove spam correctly...all kinds of things! We'll teach you how, but you need to be comfortable learning new things.
-->You must be okay with being anonymous, and good at keeping your identity a secret.
-->If you got bored halfway through reading this and ended up skimming most of it, working as a forum staff is probably not a good fit for you. You must be able to spend time reading lengthy posts made by members of this community. Not interested in reading how JaneDoe123's dog Spot ran across the street and was almost hit by a car in a 4 paragraph post filled with typos and unspoilered GIFs? Don't apply for this job!

If after reading all of the above and you are still interested in becoming a forum staff member, please fill out the application below in its entirety.

Please make sure that you fill out EACH SECTION before submitting your application! There are TWO (2) sections and THREE (3) scenarios, for a total of 5 different sections to fill out.

**NOTE** Even if you applied in the past, this is a new application, so please re-apply here again!

Please post the application here:

Forum Moderator Applications

You can title the new thread "Forum Moderator Application [username]" and insert your own username.

DO NOT SHARE YOUR APPLICATION ANYWHERE ELSE
. Do not post your application on this thread!
Anyone who does either of these things will be disqualified from a forum moderation position.

Section 1 said:
In-game Account Name:

Additional Usernames (on forums or in game, if you think important we know them):

Skype Name:
Section 2 said:
What time of day are you usually active on the forums? (Morning, Afternoon, Evening)? About how many hours can you dedicate each day to the forums?

What is your Time Zone?

Why do you want to be a forum mod?

Do you have any past experience? If so, please tell us about it. If you have no past experience with this type of position, tell us why you think you'd be a good fit.

Do you have anything else you think we should know?
Scenario 1 said:
Please reply to the following question in a 1-2 paragraph response. You will not be judged on your opinion here, and your opinion will not affect whether you are accepted as a moderator. We are looking at your writing skills in this section.

How do you feel about the rants/complaints section of the forums? Do you feel it should be allowed to make a return? Why or why not? Please use detailed reasoning to back up your opinion and your best English writing skills.
Scenario 2 said:
Please write a response to the following situation as if you were currently a forum moderator:

A member of the forums has posted a hateful, flaming message about multiple individuals on a trading thread that they did not start. How would you handle the situation?
Scenario 3 said:
What rule(s) do you think could be added to MyVMK Forums? Tell us why!

We are not planning on a specific amount of persons to hire, nor are we saying when we will hire someone. When we do hire someone, an announcement will be made. And remember the word "hire" here is used loosely, as we are all volunteers. If you have any additional questions, please ask on this thread.

Thanks so much for your interest in being a forum staff member and your participation in this community!

~MyVMK Forums Staff

Last edited:
Quick question. Do you really care about our age or name? or are those questions you want to know? :)

Also good luck everyone :D

Also do you need a spesific title? Like: Forum Mod App: (insert name here)?
Quite honestly you can make whatever you like up for any of the questions ;) However, we really want honest and truthful answers. We don't need your last name, a first name is fine. You probably would end up telling us your real first name if you were selected as a moderator, anyway. Same for age; unless you are very uncomfortable sharing this, we would like to know it. Please note that only staff will see this information.

Ooh, forgot to tell people what to call it! You can call it "Forum Moderator Application [username]" or something like that.

Hope this clears a few things up!

Quite honestly you can make whatever you like up for any of the questions ;) However, we really want honest and truthful answers. We don't need your last name, a first name is fine. You probably would end up telling us your real first name if you were selected as a moderator, anyway. Same for age; unless you are very uncomfortable sharing this, we would like to know it. Please note that only staff will see this information.

Ooh, forgot to tell people what to call it! You can call it "Forum Moderator Application [username]" or something like that.

Hope this clears a few things up!
Thanks a bunch!!! Just wanted to make sure that wasn't a very important serious question lol. Thanks again!!

Thanks a bunch!!! Just wanted to make sure that wasn't a very important serious question lol. Thanks again!!
I mean, it's important and serious (we actually want to know it) or we wouldn't have asked it; it's not "very" serious, though; not answering will not disqualify you, but you might want to explain why you wouldn't tell us. I hope this makes sense!

(As further clarification...it's kind of like on Chopped (Food Network). If you leave out one of the 4 mandatory ingredients, it's not an automatic disqualification, but it could make it very difficult to move on to the next round, as it were.)

Someone wrote a story about their dog getting hit by a car and GIF'd it? That's.... really terrifying :P

Haha, no! That was just an example. But people on the forums do write very interesting stuff!

I mean, it's important and serious (we actually want to know it) or we wouldn't have asked it; it's not "very" serious, though; not answering will not disqualify you, but you might want to explain why you wouldn't tell us. I hope this makes sense!

(As further clarification...it's kind of like on Chopped (Food Network). If you leave out one of the 4 mandatory ingredients, it's not an automatic disqualification, but it could make it very difficult to move on to the next round, as it were.)

Haha, no! That was just an example. But people on the forums do write very interesting stuff!
Best. Description. Ever

Chopped is amazing *_*

BuddyBoo

Too bad for Bulbasour and Genie. (I'll miss you Genie :cry:)
I want to apply, but I don't wanna filter inapropite words and pictures. But also I don't know if that's a thing. Or if there is a setting on that. :P Help me! (Captin Heather's 'help beacon')

Too bad for Bulbasour and Genie. (I'll miss you Genie :cry:)
I want to apply, but I don't wanna filter inapropite words and pictures. But also I don't know if that's a thing. Or if there is a setting on that. :P Help me! (Captin Heather's 'help beacon')
As a moderator, you must handle inappropriate things that are posted. If you're uncomfortable reading (and removing) inappropriate words this position may not be for you :(

Status
Not open for further replies.