Pop-Up Events Announcement/Feedback

VMK_Rapunzel

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share with some new event fun-things with you all. :]

tenor.gif

After organizing the Visit Pandora event to commemorate the opening of Pandora at Walt Disney World, I was very excited and inspired after seeing the feedback. For those of you who were not able to make it, there were 3 total rooms placed together as a walking tour through Pandora. The MyVMK Staff were the guides of the tour, and a special prize was given at the end. The tour through Pandora lasted 1 hour.

Fast forward to August and I’ve got an exciting thing I've been planning for about a month and a half now. Beginning on the 19th of this month there will be special pop-up events happening in MyVMK. I have organized a few around certain random holidays during the upcoming months and I am so excited for you to see them. The events will not necessarily correspond with the month’s theme, but will correspond with a Disney Parks event or a random holiday during the month.

I wanted to offer some kind of random one-time event to keep everyone refreshed and on their toes around the kingdom. A typical Pop-Up event will be a 30 minute walk-through event held one to two times on the event day/holiday (dependent on my schedule). Players will have a chance at a super fun event prize as well as a "consolation" type prize that will be available for the time allotted for the event. These events are totally random which means they can happen for any occasion(s) throughout the month, but may also not be every month.

I know one issue that will inevitably come up is “Not everyone can make the event, can you have more times available?”. As much as I want to say yes, the entire idea of a pop-up is that it pops up! It’s a special event and doesn’t correspond with the month’s themes or prizes. (Our GA’s have been wonderful in helping make prizes for this after they've finished items for the month releases!) Think of it as a special “holiday” event to look forward to. I’m going to do my best to have the event twice in one day as long as my schedule is open (one time that is good for east coasters and another that is good for west coasters/international friends), but remember each installment will only be 30 minutes at a time. After this first Pop-Up, I welcome any and all feedback on it right in this thread. I want to know what worked, what didn’t, and what I might be able to change for September.

The first Pop-Up will be August 19th, 4:00-4:30pm and 10:00-10:30pm EST as is reflected on our Events Calendar. We’ll be celebrating a friend who helps create one of the most popular cereals in the world. :] (Hint hint, buzz buzz.)

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please don’t hesitate to message me or comment on this thread!

See you there! (Bring your wings!)

VMK_Rapunzel

Last edited:

VMK_Rapunzel

Hi everyone! Please see the revised event times reflected on the original post as well as on the events calendar! I ran into a small conflict so I had to move them around a little. I'm doing my best to incorporate as many timezones as possible, so hopefully these times work!

See you tomorrow! :]

VMK_Rapunzel

@Tinker Blue Thanks for joining us! I'm glad you had a good time!
@PlayerOne That was definitely a speed bump (no pun intended... but I am Punz, so maybe pun intended?) I wasn't expecting. This is the first time I've put together anything like this. It's the first time, though, and I'm glad we were able to fix it quickly! Thanks for attending. :]

Fotogirl

I was busy today and by the time I signed in there was only 2 minutes left in the early event. I got to walk thru one time and the rooms look awesome!! I think this is a great idea and great way to keep people checking the calendar to see what is happening. I will be on for the later event this evening and hope I can snag a pair of those cute little bee ears. Thanks for the hard work and the effort you and all the staff are putting into bringing us some new and different kinds of events! Keep up the good work :)

VMK_Rapunzel

Hi everyone! I just wanted to send a quick thank you out to all of the staff members who helped out tonight! Also, a huge thank you to @HOST_Pegasus who made the adorable Soda-Pop Bottle Cap pin (get it... soda pop... pop-up...), @GA_Eilonwy who made the beautiful Honey Bee Mickey Ears, and @VMK_Schweetz who made the Hunny Pot, Animated Bee, and the Pondering Pooh Bear.

I'd love to hear some feedback from you all. I ended up extending an extra 15 minutes as per a few requests. I'd like to keep the events at 30 minutes to that they really are exclusive special events, but I want to hear what you guys think. It'll also help to keep the sessions the same length too, so everyone has an equal amount of time to attend.

Some specific feedback I'm looking for, if anyone has the time:
1. What did you think about the length of the event?
2. Were the timings of the different sessions alright? (4-4:30pm EST & 10-10:30pm EST)
3. Did you enjoy the random theming?
4. Were there too many/too little rooms to walk through?
5. Is there anything you'd like to see done differently next time?
6. Is there something you enjoyed that you'd like to see for next time?
7. Should I continue creating pop-up events or should I nix the idea? I'd like to leave this up to the community!

I know there were some issues with lag and with back-ups in the Hive, so I'm definitely going to take that into consideration for next time.

Thanks again for joining us tonight and I hope you all had a great time!

VMK_Rapunzel

riddleguy

i think the times you had the event were good and i liked that you had 2 different times...i only missed out cause i neglected to check the calendar if i had i definatley could have made the 2nd event time. I hope you do more and i hope to make the next one...gotta keep a closer eye out for these! :)

Only suggestion is maybe to hint at upcoming events to kinda clue people in. Even have a little twitter story going! Like for this event you could have said earlier in the week... "bees have been spotted....might want to avoid wearing yellow" then later "the staff is investigating a bee hive...stay tuned for details!"

Um, i had no idea this even happened as it happened 3-4am my time. There are a lot of uk players, none of us would have had the chance to go to that event unless we had abnormal sleeping patterns.

VMK_Rapunzel

@Fotogirl
Thanks so much! I hope you had a great time. :]

@Dango
I tried really hard to make it available for everyone. We've got players from all over the world, and I can't cater to every single time zone, but the two sessions that were available would've been decent times for almost everyone to make at least one. :] Thanks for your feedback!

@riddleguy
The plan is to have 2 sessions per pop-up. First one would be a good time for the UK/international players, and the second would be good for West Coast/East Coast players here in the U.S. The pop-ups will be on the monthly event calendar at the start of each month so it should give everyone ample time to plan ahead even though it's a surprise. I love the idea of hints leading up to the event, but I wouldn't want to take away from the month's theme. I can maybe try to incorporate it when I'm walking around the kingdom. We'll see what happens for next time! :] Thanks for your feedback.

@xCharlottex
If I'm remembering correctly you're in the U.K, right? The first session would've been around 9pm your time. The events have been on the calendar since August 1st and I will say the time of the first session just recently changed. They changed from 1pm to 4pm EST. Which would've been 6pm to 9pm your time. (I unfortunately ran into a small family emergency so I needed to move it later, but the time change was a full day ahead of the event.)
When creating the times for this event, I made sure to keep a session in there that would be for international players. Obviously you wouldn't have been able to make the 10pm EST one, but that's why I had the first session in there. Make sure to keep checking the calendar for the next pop-up's times if you'd like to attend. :] Please see the following paragraph from my original post.
I’m going to do my best to have the event twice in one day as long as my schedule is open (one time that is good for east coasters and another that is good for west coasters/international friends), but remember each installment will only be 30 minutes at a time.

Fotogirl

@VMK_Rapunzel

1. What did you think about the length of the event? I think the length of time is about right but was thankful for the extension on the second event last night. I didn't manage to find the right one to win ears until it was past the time it would have ended ;) With the advanced notice of the event being on the calendar I think a half hour generally is a good choice. Its just long enough that everyone gets multiple chances to go thru the line.
2. Were the timings of the different sessions alright? (4-4:30pm EST & 10-10:30pm EST) I essentially missed the first event and only had 2 minutes to get one try in due to being busy that day but was able to make the later event and managed to win the ears.
3. Did you enjoy the random theming? I :swoon:loved :swoon: the random theming. And I think keeping the theme of future pop-up events like this a mystery will make it all the more fun. The anticipation of what the theme might be increases interest knowing that its not going to follow the monthly theme.
4. Were there too many/too little rooms to walk through? I thought the number of rooms was perfect.
5. Is there anything you'd like to see done differently next time?Having all the teleporters grouped together seemed to clog things a bit especially the room where there were 6 at one spot. I ended up clicking on a lot of players getting on the porter to head to the next room instead of clicking a teleporter. And if you stopped in the middle of the room because it was difficult to move you were reloaded back into the room. Maybe a room like that there could be 2 spots with 3 each in different areas of the room. Or even 3 spots with 2 each.
6. Is there something you enjoyed that you'd like to see for next time? The items created just for this event. Even though they are host exclusive items and not released to the players its still fun to see what the staff is creating. Perhaps one or two(depending on how many there might have been) of the items could even be released into the store for purchase for the day of the event only.Or perhaps not even the whole day but maybe just for the span of time between the two events. That way there wouldn't be a release that would reveal the theme before the event occurs.
7. Should I continue creating pop-up events or should I nix the idea? I'd like to leave this up to the community! I personally would love to see you continue creating this type of event. It gives the game a sense of something new in between the release of new items for the theme of the month.

I really can't imagine you getting any kind of negative feedback on this event. The only hiccup I could see what the teleporter issue and that is relatively easy to try and fix for next time. Thanks to you again for all your hard work to make this a fun community. I know I speak for a quite a few when I say we really do appreciate the hard work, creativity, effort and time volunteered from all the staff to make this work and make it something that we all enjoy in between trips to the happiest place on earth.

VMK_Rapunzel

@xCharlottex
The only thing that wasn't on the calendar from August 1st on was the event name and description. The times and both sessions have been up there since the beginning of the month. What might help next time is to click on the date (though both sessions show on the calendar home page from my browser). Definitely check back to the calendar regularly for more information. :]

@Peasy
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I had such a great time putting together the rooms for everyone. :] Thanks for attending and for the feedback!

@Fotogirl
Thanks so much for your feedback. This means the world. I've been collecting data for things like (1) how many times the queue looped (2) how many rare prizes were won and things like that (with the help from the admins who can look into that), so hopefully that'll give some idea into next time's odds. I'm definitely going to look into organizing the teleporters a little better. I know things got wonky in the bee hive a bunch of times. I originally wanted it to be a maze, but I'm seeing now that didn't work so well lol. Thank you so much again for your feedback; I'm definitely going to be taking it back to review for next time! :]

Pinkie_Poof

This was very cute and appreciated! One thing I noticed with this event was that a few of the ride starts were near the bottom right corner of the screen, and if you were trying to click and get through, sometimes you'd end up clicking on someone's avatar and even accidentally trade with people. I know this is extremely nit-picky, but I think if you had the teleporters anywhere but that bottom right part of the screen where the user's signature, lanyard, all that comes up, it would make it a lot smoother! That's really the only feedback I have because I really enjoyed it, especially The Hive room!

I love the pop-up idea, it's really cool to get a sweet little surprise every once in a while. I liked that you had it two different times, to allow more players the opportunity to participate! It would be really difficult to schedule "pop-up" events to fit around everyone's schedule. I'm sure there will be events I miss just like any other day, but that's life!

Thanks again <3

VMK_Rapunzel

@Pinkie_Poof
Originally there was only 1 teleporter per room. Something I admittedly didn't think would be a problem, but in reality was a huge problem. My amazing co-staffers helped me out during the first session to add them so we were thinking quick fix rather than quality fix, I guess. I'm definitely going to remember not to put exits on that side of the room lol Thanks so much for your feedback! :]

@Scrub Thank you so much! I'm glad you had a great time! :]