Rewards for good behavior in-game

Rizz

there’s literally no reason for that kind of system, especially when the person suggesting the idea has a long history of not even being the sort of person that would even get those brownie points.
if you want a reward system buy yourself some stickers and give yourself a star every time you think before you speak.
Basically "THEN WHYRU POSTING THIS IF IT ISNT TO YOUR BENEFIT" :

Rizz

I respectfully disagree with majority of you, but that's the beauty of suggestions; they are JUST ideas. No need to personally attack the poster behind the idea-though with that being said, I appreciate everyone's posting an opinion on the SUGGESTION, not the person behind the suggested idea.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

ChairmanMeow

Live, let go, and be nice to each other. Attacking someone isn't a step towards being nice.

But more on topic, I actually like this idea! I get the point that people should follow rules regardless but I think it doesn't hurt to put a little extra motivation and positive reinforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:

saturn

If you're trying to be a social justice warrior and fight against things like homophobia and racism, maybe you wanna add bullying to the list. Live, let go, and be nice to each other. Attacking someone isn't a step towards being nice.

But more on topic, I actually like this idea! I get the point that people should follow rules regardless but I think it doesn't hurt to put a little extra motivation and positive reinforcement.
it's interesting to label folks who fight against oppressive structures and ideologies (i.e. racism and homophobia) as SJWs, particularly when it's generally used in a divisive and/or pejorative way. the argument could and should be made that we should all be engaging in, to use your phrase, living, letting go, [and accepting] and being nice to one another - which includes dismantling and calling out things like homophobia and racism, as well as bullying - all of which are fairly rampant in this game.

if you want to take it farther to fight these structures and ideas through organizing and more formal actions, i recommend using the word "activist."

ps - shouting out players who are leaders in the community or empower/support others is a great idea, and there is the thread on forums where players can tag others in recognition. maybe something can be incorporated into the newsletter to recognize folks who step up and positively reinforce myvmk for others, setting an expectation and general reinforcement of community standards and norms (i.e. submission form on who to highlight as this week or month's 1-3 community leaders).

Last edited:

Rizz

Use some perspective and maturity. If something someone said in the game bothers you, block them and report them. If it's an out-of-game issue, that's all on you bub. Just keep whatever beef you have away from the game and forums.

If this were to happen, there would be an uproar of those who do good and be ignored.
The community is so small, yet a simple game of winter dreams for an hour and a half gets a huge room of people not visited for half an hour while there are maybe 2 other rooms of people.
(: no beef, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizz

If this were to happen, there would be an uproar of those who do good and be ignored.
The community is so small, yet a simple game of winter dreams for an hour and a half gets a huge room of people not visited for half an hour while there are maybe 2 other rooms of people.
(: no beef, just saying.
Those are called: CLONES

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
You shouldn't need a reward to be kind to each other in game, and if something like this was implemented, I could easily see it as a popularity contest/playing favorites, depending on who/what determined who was the "most kind" person. I think if you incentivized kindness with a badge or some rare item, you would suddenly see (especially in crowded rooms with a lot of witnesses) a heck of a lot of fake compliments and such, especially between friends. Look how crazy people get about trying to get a dreams badge or winning items from the crates. If you think members in the community are being too toxic, report and block. Shouldn't be rewarded just for behaving like your expected to.

Rizz

You shouldn't need a reward to be kind to each other in game, and if something like this was implemented, I could easily see it as a popularity contest/playing favorites, depending on who/what determined who was the "most kind" person. I think if you incentivized kindness with a badge or some rare item, you would suddenly see (especially in crowded rooms with a lot of witnesses) a heck of a lot of fake compliments and such, especially between friends. Look how crazy people get about trying to get a dreams badge or winning items from the crates. If you think members in the community are being too toxic, report and block. Shouldn't be rewarded just for behaving like your expected to.
OKAY I GET IT BAD IDEA, EVERYONE CAN GO BACK TO TRADING-BUT-NOT-REALLY-TRADING ON THE FORUMS NOW

HapaBruja

Ur Fave Mixed Witch
I think the reward thing would get out of hand, maybe what we should work towards is temporary CL_ titles that go to the helpful people of the month or something of this sort. I think people would be less inclined to use clones in this case, and it wouldn't be for personal gain because the titles could last only a couple of months or something.
In addition to the above, maybe there should be a down vote button that is less severe than Call for Help. Not necessarily a reward, but if people do things that aren't kind, it can work against them. A certain number of negative marks on any particular account can add up to an eventual "investigation" into that person's behavior. I've come across situations where a person is not only rude, but also speaks profanely by altering words, talks negatively of others openly and also openly talks about cheating. Keep in mind, it's always the same people so I really think this system would catch bad behavior at the source. In these situations, I do not use CFH because I don't think it is emergent and I don't want to risk being banned myself for abusing the button. I have an 11 year old brother who plays this game, so you can imagine why I am inclined to report these incidents, but I'm frustrated when I can't. If we were all adults, I'd say rules don't matter - but the reality is that there actually are a good number of children who regularly play this game and so the fact that the majority of these "adults" can't control themselves is kind of baffling to me. I really encourage a new system!
Dazz's point about there being children and families that play this game is honestly my favorite so far.

I don't know if the solution is negative reinforcement for negative people or positive reinforcement for positive people, but one of the things I think would help this game the most is opening it up to its originally intended audience. Not the intended audience of College Aged+ Adults who are looking for a fun way to relive their childhood, but the audience of kids and families who love Disney who may have no other way to get to the park. We always talk about how there's no one on, how the game isn't what it used to be, and other related issues. I think the easiest and possibly most obvious solution to these problems is to make the park more family friendly, as it used to be and as Disney remains to this day.

I personally know so many kids and families that I would love to recommend this game to, but currently feel uncomfortable doing so because I don't know if I would be opening them up to the toxic parts of the community. The best part, to me, about VMKclassic was the fact that it was somewhere safe I could play and have fun as a kid, hang out with friends, based around something I love (disney). As of now, I would only feel comfortable letting kids I know on this game if I was with them the entire time.... just a thought. I know people feel ownership over their little corner of the internet, but this is a corner that is supposed to be open to everyone, ESPECIALLY children, right?

IDK at this point I see the need for BOTH positive and negative reinforcement for this community... (this as an educator who works entirely in Applied Behavioral Analysis) We can say "you don't need an incentive to be an adult" but honestly, yeah, we all do. It's a psychological principle that positive reinforcement works better on a more generalized, longer term time schedule than only Negative Punishments when a rule is broken. Incentives for the behavior you want to see is how changes in behavior are achieved.

somethingcool

Dazz's point about there being children and families that play this game is honestly my favorite so far.

I don't know if the solution is negative reinforcement for negative people or positive reinforcement for positive people, but one of the things I think would help this game the most is opening it up to its originally intended audience. Not the intended audience of College Aged+ Adults who are looking for a fun way to relive their childhood, but the audience of kids and families who love Disney who may have no other way to get to the park. We always talk about how there's no one on, how the game isn't what it used to be, and other related issues. I think the easiest and possibly most obvious solution to these problems is to make the park more family friendly, as it used to be and as Disney remains to this day.

I personally know so many kids and families that I would love to recommend this game to, but currently feel uncomfortable doing so because I don't know if I would be opening them up to the toxic parts of the community. The best part, to me, about VMKclassic was the fact that it was somewhere safe I could play and have fun as a kid, hang out with friends, based around something I love (disney). As of now, I would only feel comfortable letting kids I know on this game if I was with them the entire time.... just a thought. I know people feel ownership over their little corner of the internet, but this is a corner that is supposed to be open to everyone, ESPECIALLY children, right?

IDK at this point I see the need for BOTH positive and negative reinforcement for this community... (this as an educator who works entirely in Applied Behavioral Analysis) We can say "you don't need an incentive to be an adult" but honestly, yeah, we all do. It's a psychological principle that positive reinforcement works better on a more generalized, longer term time schedule than only Negative Punishments when a rule is broken. Incentives for the behavior you want to see is how changes in behavior are achieved.
The community is toxic because people choose to take part in the toxic aspects. Invite your family/friends to play if you want! This game is so empty that with a little effort, they won’t need to meet the folks who are a little more toxic. I played a good deal and I don’t even see a lot of drama. The game is also empty because it can’t reallt be advertised. But seriously, drama attracts drama. If you play fair and stay in your own lane, you rarely see it. In fact, the majority of the “toxic” or dramatic behavior I see are out of the game, in forums or separate sites related to vmk (like the discord chat maybe). If kids stay away from that, I think this game is still pretty PG. Also, a lot of folks are pretty understanding, like if a player tells me they’re young, my conversation stays very much G rated and I try my best to encourage other folks to do the same.

I don’t think a reward system is necessary because nice players will be nice regardless, and other players will abuse it the same way they abuse other options (not complaining either, just stating something I think will obviously happen). Plus, if people are “fake nice” there will come a point when the fake nice people befriend folks and start to show their “real selves” who may be less kind. I think letting nice people be nice and less nice people be themselves is the best way folks will meet people who are just like themselves, if that makes sense.

Edit: I think this reward system could work if only actual new players can nominate older players, and that means checking to make sure the new players aren’t clones. Of course this still runs the risk that an old player pressures someone new who isn’t familiar with the game to nominate them (although maybe this can be circumvented if the nomination process is described/explained as the player registers), but I think this could help out with the problem of the nomination system just being a “popularity contest”.

Last edited: