"Some kids need bullying"

WHO

So I've heard that saying before. Some people think people need bullying to grow into adults or be stronger or more thick-skinned. Do you believe that being bullied is something that's sometimes necessary for kids? Discuss.

Whispered

I think the standard "you're a wimp" you hear on the elementary school playground (the not real harsh stuff) is kinda necessary. But bullying? Like, real bullying? No. At least not what I know I and others have gone through (or may still go through).

The only people it's necessary for are those who are so horrible inside that they need to bully to feel alive and good about themselves.

Bullying isn't necessary, but they say you always grow from experience, so if you can overcome bullying then you can become a stronger person in theory.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I don't really bully anyone, and no one has ever bullied me, if I'm honest. But I definitely think there is a better way to go about making kids thick-skinned. You just need to be around the right people, it's worked for me.

I don't think it's a good thing at all. You can push people to do good things, and still get the same results. It's like comparing discipline camp to bullying at school. They both are very harsh, but one of them actually teaches you something good, and you still get the same effect. Bullying sometimes leads to suicide, which is not a good thing.

i grew from it and i turned out just fine!! amirite?

----------

...although a side effect of it did turn me off from being into black guys

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Bullying is never necessary. If people really feel like they have to bully then they need to get a hobby or some kind of outlet that lets them not put down or bully other kids.

I just don't believe that there is any reason for bullying. If someone says that someone needs bullying to man up then in my opinion you're doing something wrong.

allison

Not like actual bullying. The word "bully" has been used so loosely that basically anything you can claim as bullying. I believe in tough love however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerimiah

No one deserves to be bullied to grow up. I'm not sure how destroying someones self-confidence is a good thing.

But that doesn't mean kids should be pampered and their parents call the school every single time another kid looks at them sideways.

Klamath

wants to go to france
Bullying should never be an option. I don't think hurting someone psychologically (the effects of which don't go away) gives them any thicker of a skin, no matter how bad the kid is. There are other ways to get them to grow up.

Encouraging bullying is also dangerous because it sets an example for kids that bullying is normal and is expected. Kids who bully and are led to think that bullying is okay continue to do so as adults, and victims of bullying continue to be bullied as well. Bullying is common in many work places and in higher education.

Earlier today, on my way to class, I saw a protest (no joke, they were loud) held by graduate student TAs (teaching assistants) on my campus for better worker rights because their primaries (what they call superiors, a.k.a. the professors in charge) were suspected of intimidation and in few cases, bullying.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Honestly, I think the lined between bullying and teasing has blurred and people don't know the difference anymore.

But if we're focusing on those that are truly and honestly being bullied, I have a few words.
But regardless, this is a different time than when I was in grade school. When I was in grade school, I was bullied harshly all the way up to Middle School. And I mean I had rocks thrown at me, girls/boys told me to go die and kill myself because I was "fat" and "ugly" and no one would ever love me. And my teachers told me not to be a tattletale and to learn to not let "the little things" hurt me. So I grew up to have a very thick skin, but I also learned not to tolerate it if anyone tried to mess with me.

In High School a lot of people didn't like me because I had grown to be so cold. I've learned since then, but in hindsight, being bullied wasn't the way to learn how to be thick-skinned. No one deserves to be bullied ever, they will learn as life goes on that the world is a cruel place and they need to grow a thicker skin over time, but bullying doesn't have any need to play a part in that lesson. If anything it aided in making me feel worthless, unloved, unwanted, and never good enough for most of my life. Today at 20, I still struggle with self confidence.

Kids could be cruel back then, but now a days some kids can be horrid little monsters.

They don't need bullying, but they do need to be taught how to deal with it when the problem presents itself. You can't shelter a child and switch schools on them every time someone picks on them, but you also shouldn't be okay with it. Bullied kids just need more attention and help dealing with their problem, not that I'd initiate bullying on every child to "strengthen" them. Everyone handles hardships differently. If one kid can grow stronger from bullying then good for them, but this usually only happens when they get help dealing with it. To leave a kid helpless in this situation might cause them to deal with it so negatively. We can't assume that people will be okay and deal with whatever comes at them, we all need help. Like I said though, you can't keep them isolated and overprotected to prevent it. There's a balance, I guess, but I definitely can't agree that they "need" it, that's nonsense to me.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
People should stop crying wolf and learn how to deal with it themselves :rick:
wOW ok thanks !! nice to know u support ppl who come from rough backgrounds that have caused emotional/mental stability and/or individuals who have trouble dealing with stress situations and harassment from their peers

No one deserves to be bullied to grow up. I'm not sure how destroying someones self-confidence is a good thing.

But that doesn't mean kids should be pampered and their parents call the school every single time another kid looks at them sideways.
Honestly, I think the lined between bullying and teasing has blurred and people don't know the difference anymore.

But if we're focusing on those that are truly and honestly being bullied, I have a few words.
But regardless, this is a different time than when I was in grade school. When I was in grade school, I was bullied harshly all the way up to Middle School. And I mean I had rocks thrown at me, girls/boys told me to go die and kill myself because I was "fat" and "ugly" and no one would ever love me. And my teachers told me not to be a tattletale and to learn to not let "the little things" hurt me. So I grew up to have a very thick skin, but I also learned not to tolerate it if anyone tried to mess with me.

In High School a lot of people didn't like me because I had grown to be so cold. I've learned since then, but in hindsight, being bullied wasn't the way to learn how to be thick-skinned. No one deserves to be bullied ever, they will learn as life goes on that the world is a cruel place and they need to grow a thicker skin over time, but bullying doesn't have any need to play a part in that lesson. If anything it aided in making me feel worthless, unloved, unwanted, and never good enough for most of my life. Today at 20, I still struggle with self confidence.

Kids could be cruel back then, but now a days some kids can be horrid little monsters.
^ these