Speaking of Badges...

I have seen a thread like this on OVMK, but I haven't personally seen one here, so I thought Id bring up the topic.

A lot of people like the badges VMK offered. They were exclusive little pins you were awarded for being born in the park, becoming a CL, or even being there from day 1. Needless to say, badges were some of those things that people loved getting their hands on when available. I have seen multiple threads talking about how to bring about badges, new types of badges, yays and nays on badges, etc. So I bring you an idea which will innovate the badge system.

We could keep the basic badges like stated above, but why not expand? We could have badges for those who win Best Quest, Best Room, Best Game, winning a competition, being a senior member on the forums, donating, member of the month (with date so you can keep the badge) etc. Now, I understand that there are pins for some of these things, but I feel as though badges would really make those awards special, you earned it! People who wear those pins where them with pride and joy, why not make them a badge to truly make them special and stand out!?

"What if I fill up my badge space?"
Simple, you create an area where people can control what badge(s) they wish to wear, just like the pins tab.

"This isn't like the original VMK."
While this statement is correct, who's to say VMK wouldn't have made a system like this when other badges were released? I love VMK and every original thing about it, but just like the world, VMK evolved. While we may not have seen it evolve to some of these levels, who's to say it wouldn't have? Evolution prevents boredom.

Just a little thought that has stirred in my head a few times. What do you guys think? And please don't fight here, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If we get to the point where we have to remove badges from our player card, the badges lose some uniqueness. Badges used to be special, and not everyone had them. If everyone has something, nobody has anything. I'd like to stick to the originals, and maybe just give out pins for the rest (what you're describing is similar to the function of a pin)

I think this is a cool idea but maybe instead of switching them we could put in a button so you can rotate through them to see all the persons badges?

Badges no longer are special if they are as easy to earn and abundant as pins. I'm not against new badges, but they are a sign of your standing in the community, and giving them to every member who has 100 forums post would lessen their value, and the satisfaction that comes with them. Donating for VIP, I don't hate, but eh. Keep it near impossible to get more than 2.

Badges are badges, pins are pins. I like the variety of badges VMK had. Pins can stick to having best quest and whatnot.

Myth

Badges no longer are special if they are as easy to earn and abundant as pins. I'm not against new badges, but they are a sign of your standing in the community, and giving them to every member who has 100 forums post would lessen their value, and the satisfaction that comes with them. Donating for VIP, I don't hate, but eh. Keep it near impossible to get more than 2.
i agree with jedi on this one.

Badges are meant to be special and rare because when you click on a character and see that they're Born in Park or VIP or Here from day 1, it makes them seem awesomer. so if everyone had a bunch of badges it would be like pins. But i think we could create some new badges, sure.

Like if you've won best guest more than 5 times or something idk haha.

Or if you held the highest score of pirates or any minigame over a certain amount of time.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
Exactly. :thumbsup:

And to back my opinion up, ask yourself why we have both pins and badges. They are extremely similar in how you see them in game, both being displayed on the users profile. There's little point to having two game mechanics that similar unless they are intended to be used for totally different purposes.