Thanksgiving being called thanksgiving?

So my school is dumb and will not call thanksgiving break, thanksgiving. they call it fall break. my highschool and other colleges still call it thanksgiving break however. Like even i dont agree with them not saying christmas, i at least understand. But thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have just in general and is about the history of our country.
Do you think schools should call it thanksgiving break or not?

aceastrofan

The one and only...
Yes. Fall break usually is around October. Thanksgiving break is, well, Thanksgiving week.

I think it should be called Thanksgiving break because we have school/work off because of Thanksgiving. I understand and agree that it should be called Winter and Spring break since not everyone celebrates Easter or Christmas. But calling Thanksgiving Break fall break is like calling veterans day (this tuesday :D ) a day in november break. It doesn't make sense.

I think it should be called Thanksgiving Break, it's not religious or controversial at all. It's an American holiday, and it should be respected as one. The break isn't just a random break, it's to celebrate Thanksgiving, not to celebrate Fall. Most people see Thanksgiving as a holiday where you just eat a lot, when actually it's much more. If the pilgrims and native Americans decided to fight back then instead of making peace, who knows what America would be like today? It's a very important holiday in my opinion, and it should at least be respected by having a day to celebrate it.

Whispered

Thanksgiving is in no way religious? It was the Pilgrims giving thanks (i.e, Thanks-giving).

Tell me the religion in that.

Whispered

I think it should be called Thanksgiving Break, it's not religious or controversial at all. It's an American holiday, and it should be respected as one. The break isn't just a random break, it's to celebrate Thanksgiving, not to celebrate Fall. Most people see Thanksgiving as a holiday where you just eat a lot, when actually it's much more. If the pilgrims and native Americans decided to fight back then instead of making peace, who knows what America would be like today? It's a very important holiday in my opinion, and it should at least be respected by having a day to celebrate it.
i think we deserve the entire season of fall off school. as well as spring. we should have fall break and spring break - for the whole seasons. While we're at it, let's keep summer break, and to make sure nobody feels left out, rename christmas break/holiday break to winter break and make it the whole season.

YAY CELEBRATING SEASONS WITH NO SCHOOL![DOUBLEPOST=1416925718][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think it should be called Thanksgiving break because we have school/work off because of Thanksgiving. I understand and agree that it should be called Winter and Spring break since not everyone celebrates Easter or Christmas. But calling Thanksgiving Break fall break is like calling veterans day (this tuesday :D ) a day in november break. It doesn't make sense.
Not all people celebrate Thanksgiving - some view it as offensive to Indians (????). The concept of political correctness means we have to please the minority of people that are unhappy, even if the "solution" makes the majority even more unhappy. Thus, we must rename it Fall Break.

In fact, let's just keep kids in school 10 hours a day 7 days a week so we can brainwash them with liberal politicks more!

Last edited:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Schools these days can be so silly. There's no need to change a holiday name to be politically correct. I understand saying Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas to strangers because you may not know what they celebrate, and those 3 holidays are all in the same month of each other, but Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving and is a historical tradition about appreciation of what you have, I've never heard of someone being offended by someone wishing them a Happy Thanksgiving. If you're getting a vacation because it's the Thanksgiving holiday, it's Thanksgiving break lol, always has been.

Whispered

Schools these days can be so silly. There's no need to change a holiday name to be politically correct. I understand saying Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas to strangers because you may not know what they celebrate, and those 3 holidays are all in the same month of each other, but Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving and is a historical tradition about appreciation of what you have, I've never heard of someone being offended by someone wishing them a Happy Thanksgiving. If you're getting a vacation because it's the Thanksgiving holiday, it's Thanksgiving break lol, always has been.
Honestly, with how most people act in today's society, I'd think a stranger, no matter what they celebrate, should be happy to receive any sort of well wishes at all. If I say Merry Christmas to you, it means more to me than if I say Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas is saying I want you to have a joyous and happy time of the advent season, which revolves around the Christmas holiday.

Fun fact: Christmas is also, and has been for a long time, a pagan holiday. It's just so caught up in Christianity celebrating the birth of Jesus on it (which didn't really happen on any December 25 of our modern calendar) that we forget that.

If you get offended when I wish you a Merry Christmas... Let's just say I may end up wishing something else on you ;)

Post-scriptum note: "you" is referring to a generalized, non-specific third person non-party to this conversation/debate that is in no way shape or form supposed to resemble a real life or fictional person, place, event, scene, or action from any other location. (did I cover all my legal butts there?)

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Honestly, with how most people act in today's society, I'd think a stranger, no matter what they celebrate, should be happy to receive any sort of well wishes at all. If I say Merry Christmas to you, it means more to me than if I say Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas is saying I want you to have a joyous and happy time of the advent season, which revolves around the Christmas holiday.

Fun fact: Christmas is also, and has been for a long time, a pagan holiday. It's just so caught up in Christianity celebrating the birth of Jesus on it (which didn't really happen on any December 25 of our modern calendar) that we forget that.

If you get offended when I wish you a Merry Christmas... Let's just say I may end up wishing something else on you ;)

Post-scriptum note: "you" is referring to a generalized, non-specific third person non-party to this conversation/debate that is in no way shape or form supposed to resemble a real life or fictional person, place, event, scene, or action from any other location. (did I cover all my legal butts there?)
Oh Whispered how I've missed your witty posts! haha but I can see your point and agree to an extent. Although I'm surprised to learn that about Christmas and I thank you for educating us about it. :)

Cat

Fun fact: Easter was also originally a pagan holiday, celebrating the Germanic divinity Eostre. Whom was basically the goddess of fertility (with hares accompanying her), which is pretty much where we get the whole Bunnies and Eggs aspect of Easter. But without Christianity latching onto these holidays to get their messages across, religion could be very different today. I know this is all very sacrilegious of me to say, being a Christian and all, but it's definitely interesting to learn about the origins of all the holidays and seeing how they became tradition.
Thanksgiving is a whole other story, nobody ever really got along and there was definitely no feast with both Indians and Settlers involved.
So with that being said, I think it's immensely stupid for people (and schools) to tread lightly around sensitive people by carefully wishing people "Happy Holidays," "Happy Fall," "Happy Spring," etc. There's American (and WORLD) history behind every holiday. Not sure what's so offensive about that.

*and exhale*