The API - Item History

Should we have item history be publicly viewable in the API?

• Yes.

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Yes, with an opt-out option.

Votes: 46 21.1%
  • Yes, but you have to opt-in to show up.

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Yes, but with an opt-out option that all staff use.

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • No.

Votes: 128 58.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy

Head Administrator
Okay so inside of the VMK server there's an API. This lets anyone pull out information from the game, such as item statistics and history (who owned it, when it was traded, etc), room information (how many people are in that room, the rooms ID, layout, the amount of furniture in that room, etc), user information (things like which items are in their inventory, nothing too personal and will probably be opt-outable) and more. The question for this poll is, should I make this kind of thing publicly available? Maybe publicly available but with an option for users to opt-out of people viewing things like their inventory? The inventory viewing one will be quite useful for trading outside of the game because you'll be able to provide a link to the items in your inventory.

Viewing an items history could have some repercussions for deeper rare values (like it does in TF2). You'll be able to find out if the item came from staff for instance, or if it was bought from the catalogue, when it was bought from the catalogue, which players have owned it... This could either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. In TF2 you have people looking for item #42 (as in the 42nd item of that type) and paying more for it. I don't think it'd be quite to the same extent as TF2, and it probably won't affect values that much.

So, the poll question here is, should we make item history available to anyone who wants to look at it through the API? Maybe with an opt-out so that you don't show in the items public history? Maybe staff should always opt-out? It's your choice!

This thread is being reposted a few times with different content in the middle and a different poll for different parts of the API.

EDIT: I should probably clarify. The API is a feature of the gameserver that anyone can access. You can request things from it and it'll reply with JSON containing the information you requested. This stuff won't be viewable on the game itself, but rather viewable on external websites that use it. JSON looks like this for those of you who are wondering: {"success": 1, "data": {"PlayerName": "Amy", "Credits": 5000}}.

Kiki

I remember having this option on an mmo I played. It was helpful when looking for a certain item you wanted to buy from players. I'd say if you have an opt out option, it could be a great way for people to find that one person who has what you are needing.

I'd vote yes for this, with an opt out option that you could toggle on and off as needed.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly, but I think if we have this option, it can only hurt trading. People would base the values of certain items off of trades others completed instead of what they think the item is worth.
Unless the API is only viewed by the user? I think I understand what you're saying..

EDIT: I guess I didn't really understand.. Hmm, well I agree with the above user, actually. It seems like it would be nice if you could look someone up that has the item you're looking for.

If I could re-vote, i'd say "yes, with an opt-out option"

Lost

I'll hold off voting for now. How much information would be available? I mean it always interests me how much of a certain item is in game and such but I don't know how much information would be able to get gotten from this as I'm not familiar. If you can see everyone's inventories then that would be a problem, even if you could opt-out I don't think it's really necessary. Item statistics could be cool but I don't really see a need for item history, it would probably just complicate things if people collected items given by staff or the #1 of each item. I don't know though as I said I'll hold off voting till I actually understand what it would entail.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
Personally I think it would be best for staff to have this option off if it's implemented. People will likely just say it holds more value as a staff once held it. I think I understand what this is saying as I currently have an iPhone app that does a very similar history tracking in it's game for items we get. I think people should have the option to opt-in on this, if I'm understanding it. xD

Amy

Head Administrator
I'll hold off voting for now. How much information would be available? I mean it always interests me how much of a certain item is in game and such but I don't know how much information would be able to get gotten from this as I'm not familiar. If you can see everyone's inventories then that would be a problem, even if you could opt-out I don't think it's really necessary. Item statistics could be cool but I don't really see a need for item history, it would probably just complicate things if people collected items given by staff or the #1 of each item. I don't know though as I said I'll hold off voting till I actually understand what it would entail.
This poll isn't about inventory viewing. There's another poll for that. This poll is about viewing an items history. This lets you see who's owned it in the past, which number the item is, how many times it's been traded, etc.

Lost

This poll isn't about inventory viewing. There's another poll for that. This poll is about viewing an items history. This lets you see who's owned it in the past, which number the item is, how many times it's been traded, etc.
Oh okay thanks for clarifying, I'll be voting against it then.

I don't think it should be added, keep VMK the way it was in my opinion. That's why we're all here right? I understand adding new items and whatnot, but this changes the game mechanics..

Why not have a privacy setting similar to Google Docs for all of these things, share publicly or share with certain people, and you have to be logged into the game to view it? Or a one off key? You could share a key to see you inventory with someone, perhaps set to expire after a week? I see no reason why this shouldn't be available.

neverlander

naaah.. i don't feel like that information is important to other players.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
{Why do you guys think it's not a good idea? Why do you feel it is not important or wouldn't benefit others?

I personally like this idea. It would be a decent addition to the game, allowing others access past history if they are particularly interested in that. I believe there is no harm in doing so.

-Tessa

I was OK with this feature until I saw that you can tell "WHO" owns an item. I voted NO based solely on that feature. The last thing I want is a bunch of rare hunters hawking me for my rare (fill in the blank) item while I'm trying to enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.