The Future of Crates

What do you want to happen with crates?

• Keep them the same

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • Sell the keys in the catalogue

Votes: 95 44.4%
  • Get rid of them entirely

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Other (reply with what you want, if this wins a new poll will be created with the suggested options)

Votes: 19 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the way to earn keys and crates is fine as it is and does not need adjusted.
The items won should based on a tier-type system. Every 40 keys used (or whatever) can be the common and rare chairs and laterns and things. Then the next five keys used should have a 30 percent (or whatever) chance of any super rare (or semi-super rare, if that's what the flips are). Then back to the first tier. Or at least done in a way that the random doesn't seem so rigged--even if it isn't because I don't think it is, I think it just stinks. It'd also be like working towards a goal. Get this many keys, get a better chance than what it is now (1/?000).
Or, three tiers. 30 keys of common furniture, 10 keys with 40 percent chance of semi-super rares, and 2 keys with 30 percent chance of rare. Then back to square one. That way, the game won't be overwhelmed by keys being pumped into the kingdom via catalog, and there won't be a super increase in the items and decrease their "value" (which is debatable on these forums).

Lately I've had more trouble coming across crates than coming across keys. It all depends on the system.

Sorry I am late to respond here. I saw a lot of chatter about this in-game and found where to post here. I would like to share my idea with you all here as I have with others in-game. I don't like the idea of selling crates or keys in the game as I feel that takes away from the "fun" of getting one. Overall some days my luck is better than others... but it's all a part of the process.

Since there are no In-Park Quests (or any Quests yet) I feel this is a good replacement. It allows you to play the game in a different way and gives more variety this early on. I would like to suggest that the content of items continue to shuffle from time to time. The "rare" items such as Stitch Hats, Princess Hats, etc. should still be included but maybe in a different statistical amount. I would suggest shuffling in some already released and now retired items such as Halloween pumpkins, Neds items, Turkey Leg cart, Halloween clothes, etc. At this point the game re-introduces former catalog items previously released. This would allow for items to have a limited release for players who may not have played during this certain time frame. I think the more you shuffle the items, the odds, etc. the more variety and fun the keys will continue to add to the game.

Cyber Toon

If you're going to sell one in the catalog, don't sell the keys in the catalog, sell the crates in the catalog. The keys are used in trading, and it would ruin the economy if you were to suddenly change that. So, if anything, sell the crates in the catalog. but, no matter what, DO NOT put the keys in the catalog; for that would impact the economy significantly. This is a proven fact; You can see people trading (or who traded) keys for rares or expensive stuff often.

aliceblue

I think we need some clarification on one of the options in the poll. Does "Sell the keys in the catalogue" mean that the keys can no longer be obtained from games or npcs? This is very different from making them available to buy, in addition to the previous sources, and I'm not sure we're all understanding it the same way.

Please, please, please do NOT sell the keys in the catalog. I have spent countless hours collecting keys and after opening 250+ crates without a super rare, I decided to trade my keys away. With keys being placed in the catalog, everyone with enough credits will have access to them. This would be bad for a few reasons.

I play roughly 30 or more JC games a day which gives me around 100-300 per game, depending on how focused I am on actually playing. I would have to play around 30 games a day just to collect ONE KEY. I don't even try collecting shells anymore because of how low the drop rate is and FW is out of the question because I'm completely sick of it from playing it constantly while it was the only minigame out. If keys are placed in the catalog at 10k a pop, I'd have to grind JC/FW just to get enough credits to buy a key which will probably only get me another piece of crate furniture. That is hardly worth it, not to mention my only source of income right now (the key) would be significantly harder to obtain and I'd be screwed. (On a side note, I've noticed that many other people are beginning to trade their keys away. I think the reasoning for this is because of how low the percentage of opening a super rare is. People are getting tired of opening crate furniture so have opted to sell their precious keys to try and get something that isn't up to chance).

If keys were placed in the catalog at 500 credits each, they would be much easier to obtain but I think that would go against the whole idea of the crate system. It's relatively easy to get 500 credits and which means the value of the key would plummet, everyone would have tons of keys and, consequently, tons of rares (hypothetically). While this would benefit me, it would benefit everyone else and everybody would have the super rares. Not that I would have a problem with this (I would actually prefer it) but I know a lot of people that would have a huge problem with it. On the other hand, people with a lot of luck opening super rares would have inventories full of them trying to trade them for ridiculous prices because of their rarity status on the original VMK.

To be quite honest, I think the crate system breeds greed and disappointment. I would do away with it completely if it weren't for the precious cargo inside them and the damage it's already caused. People who have benefited from the crate system are thriving while the rest of us are scrambling to keep up. The economy is unbalanced and removing the crate system might further increase the gap between rich and poor.

I'm getting so tired of this game revolving around the economy. Having to grind minigames all day just to keep up with the new release of items and to collect keys in hopes of opening 5000 crates to get a super rare is just ridiculous to me. The economy is not what this game is supposed to be about, yet this is what it's turning into. It's saddening and discouraging.
Okay Amy, if you're reading this, I feel the same way.

Personally, I'm not too fond of how the keys work, or at least how the economy on VMK does. I understand the need for credits, but rares like these leave me perplexed. Personally, I have enough anxiety surrounding the economy outside of a game (and typically Disney is associated with greed and money in general, as a lot of the business world is) so to come to a game like VMK where I can feel like I'm at Disney without dropping the big bucks is important. In middle school it may have seemed fun to work my way up to a stitch hat, but when VMK closed I realized how I wasted so much time trading that I didn't appreciate it. Being in college now I am overwhelmed by how self-righteous this entire system has become. Why can't this just be a social game and not be so cutthroat?

Okay Amy, if you're reading this, I feel the same way.
Same

Getting keys and trading them (or getting a super rare from them), gives newer players motivation to play and a chance to catch up, I'd be poor as dirt with little chance of ever catching up if not for keys, since I didn't know about myVMK on Day 1.

Selling the keys in the shop defeats the purposes of keys in my opinion.

I wish people who didn't like keys/crates would just ignore it. If you want a super rare so badly, trade for it the oldfashioned way.

Champ

Let me just say the only reason I've been playing VMK a lot lately is because the key system is so challenging, and challenge is a good thing. It's addicting. It gives us an objective. Yes, it's tedious, but when a game is too easy, it becomes boring, and the objectives dull significantly.

Super rare are super rare for a reason. They're hard to get. I don't feel like we should reward players for becoming lazy or quitting. I think if you're going to make keys buyable, make them different keys and different prizes. This way it does not completely inflate the super rares to norm status. I already think the current super rares need to be replaced with new super rares, because they're losing a lot of their rarity already.

I do, however, think it should be a lot easier to obtain crates. They're even harder to get then keys. I'm for crates being sold, but not keys (unless the above is done).

Sorry I am late to respond here. I saw a lot of chatter about this in-game and found where to post here. I would like to share my idea with you all here as I have with others in-game. I don't like the idea of selling crates or keys in the game as I feel that takes away from the "fun" of getting one. Overall some days my luck is better than others... but it's all a part of the process.

Since there are no In-Park Quests (or any Quests yet) I feel this is a good replacement. It allows you to play the game in a different way and gives more variety this early on. I would like to suggest that the content of items continue to shuffle from time to time. The "rare" items such as Stitch Hats, Princess Hats, etc. should still be included but maybe in a different statistical amount. I would suggest shuffling in some already released and now retired items such as Halloween pumpkins, Neds items, Turkey Leg cart, Halloween clothes, etc. At this point the game re-introduces former catalog items previously released. This would allow for items to have a limited release for players who may not have played during this certain time frame. I think the more you shuffle the items, the odds, etc. the more variety and fun the keys will continue to add to the game.
I completely agree with the second paragraph.
Since there's no codes, it would be a good replacement. It's actually a little bit more fair than codes I think. I do not live anywhere close to either Disney park, and I never visited when VMK was open, so I had no chance to get codes. The only way to obtain those items was for people who were lucky enough to be in the right time frame and right location, or trading. Now, it's anyone's game with crates and keys. I think things should be taken into concern, like the people who get repeat super rares, and those that open tens of crates and get nothing but furniture. However, the system now is a good start to something that could have be really cool.

JessieMel

Personally, I'm not too fond of how the keys work, or at least how the economy on VMK does. I understand the need for credits, but rares like these leave me perplexed. Personally, I have enough anxiety surrounding the economy outside of a game (and typically Disney is associated with greed and money in general, as a lot of the business world is) so to come to a game like VMK where I can feel like I'm at Disney without dropping the big bucks is important. In middle school it may have seemed fun to work my way up to a stitch hat, but when VMK closed I realized how I wasted so much time trading that I didn't appreciate it. Being in college now I am overwhelmed by how self-righteous this entire system has become. Why can't this just be a social game and not be so cutthroat?

Well said. I will never understand the economy stuff and why stuff has to remain rare. I don't get it at all. The economy, and greed and clones is the thing that is turning me off from the game and causing all this stress. I feel overwhelmed because I can't keep up and earn enough credits because more and more just keeps coming out and I feel things should be less credits and I also would like the rares in the crates to be easier to obtain.

aliceblue

I think we need some clarification on one of the options in the poll. Does "Sell the keys in the catalogue" mean that the keys can no longer be obtained from games or npcs? This is very different from making them available to buy, in addition to the previous sources, and I'm not sure we're all understanding it the same way.
Going to ask this again, as I think it's a pretty important question.

Tayilcious

I feel that if keys are sold in the catalogue, things like Stitch/Minnie would be much easier to obtain. I know, like everyone else and being in that position, that you want a super rare. However, they're a super rare for a reason lol. If getting keys is any easier or they're sold without dropping the chances of rares, people will be getting rares faster and if a significant amount of people begin to have them, they won't be 'rare' anymore, just common and easy to obtain so people won't really freak out over trading anymore for them. I feel that either of these should happen:

1. Crate #1 is frozen, but they can still be opened/traded, just not given out anymore. Another crate is given out, such as a 'holiday' or 'silver crate'. They would contain different items, but the gold key is still used to open them.
2. Crate #1 is given out, but different keys, such as the silver or holiday key. The different keys, the different items.

Cjswag

Hex Coin to the MOOOON!
Can we please bring these crates back! or at least release green creates for a day so that those who have keys can get rid of them rather than letting them sit in our inventories.....