The Oscars

Hi Everyone,

With the Oscars coming up I wanted to know your opinion about an issue that is being discussed quite frequently in media recently. Do you believe that the Oscars are biased?
This years Oscars has caused quite a storm at being accused of being unequally race representative, thus biased to choosing white nominees, but also have been seen as not including popular sci-fi films such as Star Wars.

What do you think? Do you think they are biased with regards to race but also the films that are nominated?

Please do keep discussions G-rated, and avoid offensive comments.

I don't think the Oscars are biased... I think Hollywood and film production is biased in general. People should win Oscars based on their performance in movies.. It happens to be white because thats the majority thats being selected to play important or lead roles in movies more often. Therefore they have a higher chance to win a Oscar to begin with. It sucks, but its not the Oscars fault. If someone of minority loses compared to their white counterparts, I believe the other person still deserves to win, but there should be equal opportunity for a minority to win. I'd also like to point out that the majority of lead roles that are given, are given to white males... The chart I saw had minority males listed after before white females, but I looked for it for a 1/2 half and hour and couldnt find the link. so then the problem is even bigger than Hollywood, its subliming racism, and sexism in our culture. Yet hollywood is often the media..

I've been watching the Oscars for quite some time now. Movies are one of my favorite things in the world so I'm constantly updated on them. Early on when I watched them I realized that 90% of the movies nominated were none that I have heard of. Then I got well versed in the movie universe and now I know pretty much all the films being nominated. With that being said I still to this day feel that there are great movies that'll never make to the Oscars and it's really a shame. Star Wars without a doubt was an amazing movie. One of the best movies to come out in a while, yet it's going to get literally zero representation at the Oscars except for maybe sound production and other movie production nonsense. 90% of people would agree that it deserves best picture and sadly it'll never get it. I really wish that the Oscars would recognize more "popcorn" flicks rather than just artsy, serious and indie movies. Star Wars was pure Hollywood at it's best. This is not to say that indie movies shouldn't be included in the Oscar lineup. They deserve the spotlight as well. (I have a soft spot for indie movies) The Oscars need to include all types of movies into their deciding factor. Who says that a superhero movie shouldn't win best picture. If it was that good and deserves the award then it should get it. I've noticed that if a movie is considered "fun" it'll never stand a chance at the Oscars (unless it's animated or a comedy) I'll still keep watching the Oscars regardless of their actions, but I wish that the "old predominantly white men" making the votes would realize that movies of today are not what they used to be. We have a new breed of movies, actors and directors. Give an award where an award is due! Whew, rant over!

I've been watching the Oscars for quite some time now. Movies are one of my favorite things in the world so I'm constantly updated on them. Early on when I watched them I realized that 90% of the movies nominated were none that I have heard of. Then I got well versed in the movie universe and now I know pretty much all the films being nominated. With that being said I still to this day feel that there are great movies that'll never make to the Oscars and it's really a shame. Star Wars without a doubt was an amazing movie. One of the best movies to come out in a while, yet it's going to get literally zero representation at the Oscars except for maybe sound production and other movie production nonsense. 90% of people would agree that it deserves best picture and sadly it'll never get it. I really wish that the Oscars would recognize more "popcorn" flicks rather than just artsy, serious and indie movies. Star Wars was pure Hollywood at it's best. This is not to say that indie movies shouldn't be included in the Oscar lineup. They deserve the spotlight as well. (I have a soft spot for indie movies) The Oscars need to include all types of movies into their deciding factor. Who says that a superhero movie shouldn't win best picture. If it was that good and deserves the award then it should get it. I've noticed that if a movie is considered "fun" it'll never stand a chance at the Oscars (unless it's animated or a comedy) I'll still keep watching the Oscars regardless of their actions, but I wish that the "old predominantly white men" making the votes would realize that movies of today are not what they used to be. We have a new breed of movies, actors and directors. Give an award where an award is due! Whew, rant over!
Exactly! Star Wars is for sure award worthy! :Xwing:

Tay

agreed 100%

I think the issue with racial inequality is that there are certain movies being made, like Gods of Egypt, where white males are getting roles that don't fit the time period. I don't recall reading in my textbooks about white as paper males ruling Egypt. Exhibit A:

I love the Star Wars franchise, but that new movie was awful and I don't see any category that it deserves to win. The editing was basic cuts and fades, the music was all very similar music to the original films which is excellent because John Williams is phenomenal, but it's nothing we haven't heard before, (this song was great though, gave me goosebumps in the movie)
the sound design was decent, but again mostly the same sounds from the original just cleaned up a bit and Kylo Ren's voice was really disappointing, the visual effects were what really sold this movie, but Mad Max will definitely win best visuals this year because of the insane amount of work that went into the set extensions. I mean they put some SERIOUS effort into the visuals and if they don't win that'll be incredibly messed up.

I think the issue with racial inequality is that there are certain movies being made, like Gods of Egypt, where white males are getting roles that don't fit the time period. I don't recall reading in my textbooks about white as paper males ruling Egypt. Exhibit A:

I love the Star Wars franchise, but that new movie was awful and I don't see any category that it deserves to win. The editing was basic cuts and fades, the music was all very similar music to the original films which is excellent because John Williams is phenomenal, but it's nothing we haven't heard before, (this song was great though, gave me goosebumps in the movie)
the sound design was decent, but again mostly the same sounds from the original just cleaned up a bit and Kylo Ren's voice was really disappointing, the visual effects were what really sold this movie, but Mad Max will definitely win best visuals this year because of the insane amount of work that went into the set extensions. I mean they put some SERIOUS effort into the visuals and if they don't win that'll be incredibly messed up.
That's a good point you bring up about racial inequality in films. I hadn't thought about that within movies meant to be depicting particular time periods through history they are being largely inaccurate about the selection of actors they choose for those particular roles. Perhaps part of the problem is within the film industry that is then manifested onto awards like the Oscars?

CandyCars

I think it's a problem with the entire film industry. The studios are not making diverse movies... that's why there are not many nominated at the Oscars. Imo it's not the Academy's fault, it's the studio's fault.

I think it's a problem with the entire film industry. The studios are not making diverse movies... that's why there are not many nominated at the Oscars. Imo it's not the Academy's fault, it's the studio's fault.
I agree! The academy is there to vote. They can't nominee and vote for things that aren't there. As sad as it is to point out, this was not a great year for diversity in film. Studios really need to realize that a movie will do 10x better if they didn't whitewash or not recognize someone for their talents rather than persona. I'd rather a movie have a no name actor in it who can actually act rather than some big time hollywood star, but hey that's just me.