Western Cultural Imperialism?

I am taking a human geography course and we've had a debate on this issue and I think it's really interesting.

Many scholars argue that Western culture is being "imperialized" across the globe, and that it is depleting many local folk cultures. Do you think these other cultures have a choice in accepting Western culture, or do you think that it is being forced?

mark

10 mins late to everything
I believe that other cultures have a choice in accepting the Western culture. Western culture isn't being forced upon other societies because, since the rise of technology and more specifically social media, people from other cultures have the ability to explore freely and experience an exotic lifestyle and are willingly accepting it. As I see it, Westernization is being more influential than forced in foreign cultures.

I believe that other cultures have a choice in accepting the Western culture. Western culture isn't being forced upon other societies because, since the rise of technology and more specifically social media, people from other cultures have the ability to explore freely and experience an exotic lifestyle and are willingly accepting it. As I see it, Westernization is being more influential than forced in foreign cultures.
I'm on the opposite side. Especially for third world countries and LDCs, western influence is less of a choice and more of a necessity if they want to expand economically and politically. I'm not saying that Western culture is good, I actually think globalization of the culture is bad, because it is diminishing the diversity of folk cultures across the map.

Countries may "choose" not to follow Western culture, but if they don't, then they will most likely be stereotyped and discriminated against like many non-Western cultures are.

mark

10 mins late to everything
I'm on the opposite side. Especially for third world countries and LDCs, western influence is less of a choice and more of a necessity if they want to expand economically and politically. I'm not saying that Western culture is good, I actually think globalization of the culture is bad, because it is diminishing the diversity of folk cultures across the map.

Countries may "choose" not to follow Western culture, but if they don't, then they will most likely be stereotyped and discriminated against like many non-Western cultures are.
I don't think I analyzed ;)

It's not that I disagree with you, I'm mostly on your side! I do think the globalization of Western lifestyle is necessary, but I firmly believe is that it should never have to be forced upon a civilization. I do think globalization could be influenced through persuasion and given opportunities. If the influence of a new lifestyle is through force, not only will the diversity and cultures of foreign civilizations be lost, but it would also introduce another negative; culture-shock.