When it comes to power:

Is it better to be loved than feared? or feared than loved?

more Machiavellian questions before i move on to another philosopher!

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Well in my mind ultimate love and cast out fear. So I would say loved. To only be feared would not mean you have a very cold heart, and never no what miracles can happen when Love is there.

Yurgle

Honestly you need a balance of the two!

Lets put out a few examples...

President: Of course you're going to be feared... you're the president! The president must be loved by his party members and his country in order to be elected into office. At the same time, he must be feared in order for his beliefs and ideas to be portrayed through his presidency. If he wants the outcome to be ideal, he needs a healthy balance of the two.

Parents: Parents are doubtlessly going to be loved by their kids... but what if they weren't? Kids would go crazy, bratty, and would be lawless. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a parent with just love in the picture would reap the same effects. A parent must incorporate fear into the relationship in order for both the child and the parent to benefit.

saying both is the biggest loop hole ever.

Are there any true absolutes?!?

lmao, but i love an answer with examples. You're awesome Yurgle.

Fear is effective at maintaining extreme power for a generally short period of time. Thus, most major dictators.

Love maintains power for the long-term.

I don't think this is a situation of balance. Legitimate love and respect will result in obedience. It's best for everyone involved; the person with the power will maintain their power, and the subjects are happy and don't live under a repressive government.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It's better to be loved.

If you want an example, look at Princess Diana, she was a part of an institution that is feared by many, if not all, but she was loved by all. She was the peoples Princess and the world mourned her passing, but if the queen were to pass, in my opinion the mourning party wouldn't be anywhere near that of Diana Spencer's (especially since there is a great deal of people that believe her institution incited Diana's death). Love is a powerful thing, as is fear, but love to me is just better. It fills your life with meaning and warmth, and gives it purpose. To be feared is just a cold and lonely way to live. You're more trusting to the person you love, not so much the person you fear.

Jasmine

Loved.

People often use "respect" and "fear" interchangeably... If someone fears you, chances are they don't respect you. However, if someone loves you, it's likely they have a deep respect for you.