Young kids having smartphones, yay or nay?

No, kids shouldn't have smartphones in my opinion. Even in middle school it shouldn't be a smartphone. I got my first phone in 8th grade, and while it was a touch screen, it wasn't a smartphone so there wasn't much to it. Kids should be outside doing things or focusing on school instead of having a fancy phone. Any parent who buys their kid an expensive phone like an iPhone or Android in elementary school is just asking for a spoiled bratty teenager. And when you see a little kid with their own iPad, that's just beyond ridiculous. I understand a lot of parents use the iPad to teach their kids stuff, but they should be doing that themselves. Kids just need to be kids instead of trying to act older than what they are.

My ten year old cousin has an iPhone 5 and I personally think it's kind of ridiculous. I know that today's younger generations are growing up in a different time, and smartphones are becoming the "norm" for everyone, but in a way it denies kids the true pleasures of childhood that they won't always have. I only see the increased use of social media and technology as a way to further disconnect from real life, in addition to allowing bullying (particularly cyberbullying) to become more common.

I didn't have a phone until I was in high school, and it's fine if kids have a phone earlier than that, but I don't think it should be allowed to become their only concern.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
No! Kids do NOT need smartphones! They don't need it. They should be still playing with their toys, not depending on an electronic device to keep them occupied. LeapFrog still exists, I think, they should be using devices that are not phones.

Whispered

The only reason I had a smartphone in high school is because my parents got them and they wanted us all to have compatible chargers :P

Aside from that, I didn't need it. I rarely even use the internet tbh except for email.

Otters

Nononononononono.
Some of my friends still don't have smart phones and they're all at least 17+ and when I went
to the middle school recently (aka 10-11 year olds) I saw 90% of the kids sitting around on
their iPHONES and not even socializing. They're completely unnecessary, cause kids to grow
up entirely too fast, ruins social skills, and causes many to be lazy and irresponsible as I've
seen in my two cousins...
I'm so against smart phones before like age 14-16 personally, but I understand some parents
give their kids gophones or something like that that really only makes phone calls and I feel
like that's totally fine since sometimes emergencies come up and they still have to talk haha (: