Status
Not open for further replies.

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff

Easter is around the corner, and we're looking for the best egg-decorators in the kingdom!
Using the template provided, customize an egg and post it in the forum section mentioned below.
Everyone will have a chance at getting their eggs put into the game on Easter day!
You have until 11:59pm EST on April 19th to submit your design, so let's get cracking!

You can find the templates here:
PSD File
Zip File
Two versions of the template are included, one is a PSD with the egg set up with clipping masks,
the other is a zip file containing the egg itself and its shading as two separate PNG files, this is so you can make your egg in something other than photoshop.

Rules:
- We will accept only one design per person.
- Keep your eggs Disney-related (or if not Disney related, just a pretty egg without any "theme"), and family friendly.
- Please keep your design within the space of the templates provided. When we say stay within the bounds, we mean the bounds of the image and not the egg.
For example, you can add kitty ears to the egg if you wanted to, but the image has to keep the same dimensions.
- Animations are allowed (but not required), however if you make it animated be sure to include all of the individual frames as PNGs in a zip file, and make sure they're all the same size as the one in the post.
If it requires anything special other than a simple frame to frame animation, it won't be able to win, and please make sure it's less than 20 frames.
If it's not animated, just include a PNG file (it MUST be transparent) on the thread, if you're using a image hosting website, imgur is preferred.
- Do NOT share your egg with the public, anyone caught doing so will be disqualified.
- All submissions should be your own work!! You can only post eggs that you design and create on your own!

How to enter:
- Create a new thread here!
- Title the thread with the name of your egg creation. Please include your in-game name in the thread!
- When you submit your entry, we ask that you either include a PSD or a ZIP file containing all images related to your egg, make sure the images are transparent otherwise they can't be used.
In your thread, please include an image of the egg in one piece (including the shading etc).

By submitting an egg, you agree to grant us a non-revokeable license to use the images you have submitted for the egg competition in any fashion relating to MyVMK.

All participants will receive an in-game prize as well as a forums medal. Winners will receive that in addition to all winning eggs AND a 1* Red Dancing Inferno.

xcharlottex
DisneyDreaming
Megumin
Eddy
activiaaaaa
Nayru
GlitterSkye
marisaeve
light

SoakinUpTheSun
fix

heymann
Dazz
Cowboy_Pirate
mermaidjewels
Velten
kcoop
Rosey
epicrose
_Hunny_
Matty
effyy
Christa
JuneBliss
PastelRoses
Famous
aldisneyfans
FriedRice
Ballroomdancer
Sucrette
scrunchyfreak
Awesomemagic
Karbine
soccerallie
carolynwonderland
designju
Mixie
SweetTea
Dep
Prettikitti
Tety
LikeATrueStar
Because
IAmTheWalrus
Kutcherrr23
tea
cookiecrumbs
BunnehPrincess
date
BigCuddlyOgre
velocity.
PotatoBacon
JessaBelley
Klimt
Squiggle
LexieandTink
BlueSorcerer
Spider
RoseBonbon
Bernardo_S_Rocks
MagicIshaan
MagicAvinash
Pig
Woah
Airham
StormTrooper
Teeny
Hapagirl
Angie
Jay
RockStar_Olivia
Allusion
Ace
milklady
Meg
SkywayStitch

Happy decorating!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pig

Wow this seems interesting, I think I will give it a shot! Not too sure how it will look, nonetheless, I can not pass up free items!

DisneyDreaming

I feel like I'm super in over my head, and I have some noob questions (I only have Paint, and Paint 3D).

1. If we just color the egg itself and don't touch outside of the boundaries, does that keep the egg transparent?

2. I'm a little confused about the separate egg base and egg shading files. Do we draw on each file, combine them somehow, or just choose one of the two?

ink

I feel like I'm super in over my head, and I have some noob questions (I only have Paint, and Paint 3D).

1. If we just color the egg itself and don't touch outside of the boundaries, does that keep the egg transparent?

2. I'm a little confused about the separate egg base and egg shading files. Do we draw on each file, combine them somehow, or just choose one of the two?
From experience, I know an easy way to do it is to use an online FREE! version of photoshop, which is what I used to make this, called Pixlr. (Don't use Pixlr X, use the option below! Its free and just requires your web browser and flash-no downloads!)
Once you create the initial base egg (all white template) with your design on paint (for your case!), go to FILE>Open Image as a new project onto Pixlr. From there, import the egg template with shading as a LAYER (>open image as layer) and it should pop on to your egg above the your creation to give it the "shaded" look ((as long as your dimensions are correct, don't resize the original egg when you create it in paint!))!
(i'm not sure if this is required, but I also went to the tab LAYER >Flatten Image before saving when I was finished, thus compressing all layers and making it one!)
TIP: MAKE SURE you import the shaded egg template AS A LAYER not just opening it via 'file'

Hope this could help a little bit for those struggling by not exactly being photoshop savvy!

lexis

this does not define you.
wait, so we can't do this one by hand? since image has to be transparent when we post it to the thread,,, so, taking a picture of it to upload it won't work..

rip. i have no photoshop skills at all but i love to draw and colour so i was really excited.

i'm still gonna try of course, but just be prepared for a very terrible egg coming your way in the not so distant future.

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
A zip file is mostly just needed if your egg is animated! If it's a still image, a PNG is fine!
If you want some good free design applications, I recommend GIMP or Paint.net!

Do NOT share your egg with the public, anyone caught doing so will be disqualified.
When you say "the public" do you just mean in a public forum like on a post on this website or a large discord group. It's not against the rules to show friends your design, right? Or it is against the rules?

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
When you say "the public" do you just mean in a public forum like on a post on this website or a large discord group. It's not against the rules to show friends your design, right? Or it is against the rules?
In large group settings. PM'ing a friend is okay! We want to ensure no one gets their art/idea stolen.

I just clicked on the PSD file. It said I needed to make a free account so I can download it? And will the egg be bigger once I make an account? It just shows a tiny 1x1 egg. You are truly testing my non-computer skills to the max right now LOL And after reading iPizza's explanation above I am even more confused with layering, flattening, etc. You are definitely speaking a foreign language to me

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
I just clicked on the PSD file. It said I needed to make a free account so I can download it? And will the egg be bigger once I make an account? It just shows a tiny 1x1 egg. You are truly testing my non-computer skills to the max right now LOL And after reading iPizza's explanation above I am even more confused with layering, flattening, etc. You are definitely speaking a foreign language to me
Try using the zip file instead!

Try using the zip file instead!
Nothing is working. It just doesn't make any sense to me. One egg base zip file that I click on says that it isn't supported, and the other egg base file comes up blank in drop box. Is there a reason why you are doing things this way this time vs. us being able to print out a template? Sorry that I am not 20-something, 30-something, etc. I didn't grow up with this stuff, and try and learn, but this is above my pay grade ;)

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
Nothing is working. It just doesn't make any sense to me. One egg base zip file that I click on says that it isn't supported, and the other egg base file comes up blank in drop box. Is there a reason why you are doing things this way this time vs. us being able to print out a template? Sorry that I am not 20-something, 30-something, etc. I didn't grow up with this stuff, and try and learn, but this is above my pay grade ;)
It might not support it because you dont have a program downloaded like GIMP, or FireAlpaca or things of that sort. These are specifically for graphic artists! Its been a while since we had an in-game contest! We have a coloring sheet for St Patty's day thats more in favor of traditional, pen and paper artists. Now we're reaching out to people who are more digitally artistic! These eggs will be 3D and put into the game!

I downloaded the zip file and used the last two files (the exact names were egg_base and egg_shading). I have Windows 10, I'm not sure what you have. I opened egg_base with Paint 3D (I'm sure regular paint would work just the same too) and drew my design on only the egg. I then was able to add the shading file as a layer on top just as iPizza helped me to do:
From experience, I know an easy way to do it is to use an online FREE! version of photoshop, which is what I used to make this, called Pixlr. (Don't use Pixlr X, use the option below! Its free and just requires your web browser and flash-no downloads!)
Once you create the initial base egg (all white template) with your design on paint (for your case!), go to FILE>Open Image as a new project onto Pixlr. From there, import the egg template with shading as a LAYER (>open image as layer) and it should pop on to your egg above the your creation to give it the "shaded" look ((as long as your dimensions are correct, don't resize the original egg when you create it in paint!))!
(i'm not sure if this is required, but I also went to the tab LAYER >Flatten Image before saving when I was finished, thus compressing all layers and making it one!)
TIP: MAKE SURE you import the shaded egg template AS A LAYER not just opening it via 'file'

Hope this could help a little bit for those struggling by not exactly being photoshop savvy!

Squiggle

Can you explain a little bit more about why people who like to do IRL color are not allowed? Last year you guys said it would be up to the GA's to interpret the egg given and fit it into the game as best they could. Putting this burden on us players is making everything pretty confusing for nontech savvy people. When at the end of this contest staff team are more than likely going to need to touch up the eggs to fit into the game anyways so this feels unnecessary In my opinion. I do understand that you are trying to make it more straight forward to get the creators art into the game without ruining/recreating their vision, I just think you are harming a large majority of players who don't use computer drawing programs because even using paint has a learning curve to do something that your hand could do since you were two.

Just a couple examples, this egg won 3rd place last year and you guys had to recreate it before you put it into the game. Are you guys going to be doing this again or is it going to be a direct transfer?

Ok last thing, with animated/video eggs you said they have to be 20 frames or under, would something like airhams sw'eggy' creation from last year be allowed?

As far as I can tell its 20 frames and the image could be edited to stay within the original border

Last edited:

Amy

Head Administrator
Can you explain a little bit more about why people who like to do IRL color are not allowed? Last year you guys said it would be up to the GA's to interpret the egg given and fit it into the game as best they could. Putting this burden on us players is making everything pretty confusing for nontech savvy people. When at the end of this contest staff team are more than likely going to need to touch up the eggs to fit into the game anyways so this feels unnecessary In my opinion. I do understand that you are trying to make it more straight forward to get the creators art into the game without ruining/recreating their vision, I just think you are harming a large majority of players who don't use computer drawing programs because even using paint has a learning curve to do something that your hand could do since you were two.

Just a couple examples, this egg won 3rd place last year and you guys had to recreate it before you put it into the game. Are you guys going to be doing this again or is it going to be a direct transfer?

Ok last thing, with animated/video eggs you said they have to be 20 frames or under, would something like airhams sw'eggy' creation from last year be allowed?
As far as I can tell its 20 frames and the image could be edited to stay within the original border
We may edit the eggs at the end if needed, but remaking them all is a lot on us in a short timespan too. I don't think it's a problem to do competitions specifically for various formats and skillsets either. We have ones where pen and paper designs are encouraged all the time, and we haven't had one purely digital in a long time. We used to do this every year. I don't think there's anything wrong with it lol.

As for the last part, I suppose his would be allowed if it was mostly (as you are allowed to leave the bounds) in the shape of the template and didn't have that background. Also, if you'd like to enter, this is either a potentially great chance to learn some digital art! An easy way is to use something called inkscape to create vectors, it's really simple to do things with it if you watch a video on YouTube, no tablets or anything required. And we also get plenty of people entering for the entry prize only, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.