I'm sorry

Hello. You may know me as Hopper. Or, you may know me as VerucaSalt, Hoppper, Mordu, FriarTuck, AjaxTheGorilla, Lampwick, Ebenezer, JackWagner, or Inventory. I have 10 accounts on this game, and I would like to say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry that during this past Jedi Training Academy event, i snuck four accounts into the queue at once. I'm sorry that I've had at least one clone in the queue for every other event I've attended on this game. I'm sorry that I thought the rules did not apply to me, and used clones to achieve unfair advantages. I'm sorry that I won bgr two months in a row through the usage of a clone account. I'm sorry that I ranted to particular staff members using one of my clones when the staff were only trying to keep MyVMK a safe place. I'm sorry if you thought you knew me on this game, because you were clearly wrong. I created "Hopper" because I wanted to discover more about MyVMK. I created the account "VerucaSalt" to prank my best friend Prim. I created the account "Hoppper" because I was afraid someone else might make the account and pretend to be me. I made the account "Mordu" yet again as a prank for friends. I created the account "FriarTuck" to sneak extra accounts into Geggy's quests a while back. I created the account "AjaxTheGorilla" because I temporarily quit myvmk, and wanted to revisit some of my friends without anyone knowing. I created the account "Lampwick" yet again as a prank. I created the account "Ebenezer" because I wanted to win bgr again, after already having won the previous month. I created the account "JackWagner" because I was and still am planning to create a guest room experience that involves the character. I created the account "Inventory" to keep my storage. So, what's the point of all this? The point is, ban me. Exterminate me. Do what you must to keep the fate of myvmk away from the hands of people like me. People that have only 2 or 3 clones (each with their own specific purposes) shall not be mutilated nor condemned as a result of people like me who have abused limitless clone accounts. I remain reluctant in sharing this information, but I figured that I no longer care if my reputation to you plummets. I don't. All I want is for everyone on this game to play fair, and I want to come clean. Never have I used clones on minigames against one another, nor during hide and seek events, but I nonetheless prevented many people from getting into host events and hence from receiving exclusive prizes. I'm sorry that I obstructed some of the enjoyment that's supposed to be infinitely exploited from this game. I really do feel awful about it, otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here typing this up at 2:00 in the morning. This is legitimately bothering me. It has been slaughtering me from the inside ever since I first found out about the new efforts to manage clones. I've made mistakes. I've lied. And I feel like I've been seriously deteriorating the myvmk experience for some, if not many. This isn't a post to defend myself, nor to state my position on what the future of clone accounts should be. All I want to say is, I cannot believe that I let it get this far (seriously, there was no need for me to put four accounts into one of the most popular events myvmk has had in months). I want to say that I am done using my clones for my own personal advantage (if not entirely), and that you will never see any of my clones' faces in a host event again because it makes me feel absolutely awful. This beautiful community does not deserve any facet of the mistreatment i've unconsciously cooked up.

goobie

violent delights
Okay, wow. While I may not generally agree with your extensive clone usage (and really, I'm not opposed to having one clone on during events, but four is definitely pushing things a bit), I promise you it's not that deep. I'm more concerned about how guilty you're feeling as a result of this. However, I appreciate your coming forth. I don't know if this provides you any sense of comfort, but I imagine you are not the only person like this. And out of them all, you're the one apologizing. I think that says something about you. Clearly, while it's not my decision but overall, I say just drop the other accounts that bother you and keep playing.

I'm not familiar with BGR or the rules, so I'm excluding that factor from my overall view, I don't imagine it would change much about what I've said. At the end of the day, while we all enjoy playing the game, it's still just a game. Whatever deep guilt you're feeling over something that has not truly harmed anyone (and by harming anyone I mean mentally or emotionally, you didn't bully anyone or ruin anyone's life. You may have interfered with their ability to enjoy an event, but you haven't hurt their overall well-being) is not worth it.

airham

I'm not really familiar with any of your accounts. For all intents and purposes, this is my first impression of you, and I can pretty confidently say that you're exactly the type of person I wish we had more of in this community. As for your apology, you have absolutely nothing for which to apologize. There's a culture of accumulation in this game that extends far beyond just you, and that prompts many of us (I'm absolutely including myself) to do anything within the rules to gain an advantage. And you weren't breaking the rules. It's not your responsibility to institute rules against yourself that only apply to you. It's not your responsibility to work against your own self-interest so that other people can benefit.

That being said, you're doing the absolute most that could possibly be expected of a user in this situation. You're speaking out against a rules oversight that currently benefits you. If you go into the first thread on clone policy from about a week or so ago, you'll see a slough of people in your position that, rather than acknowledging the flaws in the current rules, defend their own self-interest to the detriment of common sense and fairness. I profoundly respect you for taking this stand. I also assure you that I don't blame you for doing what you did, and neither should anyone else.

Captn

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
That explains Treasure Room last night. As for your guilt; what matters is that you've admitted it and want to do something about it. That's really all that matters to me.

Side note but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on VMK who knows who Jack Wagner is. Hehehehe.

Cap

Just to add to this, I would like to point out that I have encouraged this to some degree. For whatever reason, Hopper and I find it extremely funny to make new accounts and see how long it takes our friends to figure it out. So I am just as much at fault. I have thrown clones into events when I shouldn't have, especially in some of the larger ones. I usually tend to keep one clone in the queue, but I have been known to go over that. I will also admit that I did use clones to play minigames by myself (and while I know this doesnt make it right, it was back when I had first started playing and had no idea it was against the rules. Once that was brought to my attention, I quit). Hopper and I both have extensive lists of clones, most of mine I dont even remember the names of, or their log in info. However, I do currently have a couple I use at different times. I definitely have over 10 (however some of them were banned so I dont have access to them and really have no desire to anyways). The ones I most use now are Shaman, Scrooge_McDuck, Mystic_Albert, and GhostHost. Again, all of these were created for rooms I was making, I had intended at one point to build Pandora and wanted the rooms to be owned by Shaman. Scrooge was created for the money bin game I built last month, but never opened and has since become my inventory clone. Mystic_Albert was from my Best Game Room from August of 2016, and GhostHost was from my Haunted Mansion game from October 2015. The others whom I currently have access to (I believe) are Winifred and .Mickey.Mouse. . Winifred was for a room, and Mickey was an account I used for a while to visit with people without logging in as Oswald, around two years ago.

All of this said, I am not trying to piggyback off of Hoppers guilt. But I want to point out it is not entirely his fault. He is one of my best friends, and I have not helped his situation by doing the exact same thing and encouraging him, even if indirectly, to do the same. We both, like anyone, are human and make mistakes. I can truthfully admit in the past that I did use these clones for my advantage, but have tried to better myself in these past few weeks. I stand by everything I have said about clones in any other thread, and I maintain my stance that a rule needs to be put in place. Its very easy to justify something like this to yourself when you dont think about how it is effecting other people playing this game. I have only ever wanted to make things people can enjoy in this game, hence why my clones were named for the specific rooms and games. To me, when someone goes that extra mile, it makes the experience so much greater, and I hope that when I was using these clones for those purposes, people were enjoying it.

So let me step down off my soapbox, but please please dont just blame Hopper for his actions, as I am equally guilty for having encouraged it by my own behavior. We never did these things with the intention of hurting anyone else, it was truly just that we did not think about what it may be doing to other people, and for that I am sorry too.

Bill_Murray

my opinion on you solely depends on if i finish this jedi training event if i don’t finish i’m going to hate you forever. if i do i’ll continue to not care who u are or what you do

also i’ve never really read the rules on clones but if they’re as unclear as i’ve heard then i don’t think you deserve a ban. if you are gonna get banned on some of your clones slide some jedi robes my way though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VMK_Rapunzel

@Hopper I just want to say thank you for being so honest and courageous to post something like this publicly. We've all got mad respect for you for this. We do understand that the rules regarding cloning have been really unclear, which is why we've been working to hammer them out and state a clear "here's what you CAN use a clone account for" and "here's what you CAN NOT use a clone account for". (It's been an unclear rule for a while, we totally understand and hear everyone's gripes about it because we've been saying the same thing.) Additionally, I honestly think it's rather innovative and interesting that so many players have been using clone accounts for creative purposes, rather than for personal gain. I don't think it's something we ever actually thought about, so I (as I'm sure the rest of the staff members) really appreciate everyone who's mentioned that in the clone discussion thread. I think that's something we collectively can try to find a solution for, once the rules are hammered out.

Please don't beat yourself up. The blame falls partially on us, as well, because the rules aren't clear cut on this issue. Which is why we're working to change that and be more clear and transparent with everyone. Again, this takes a serious amount of courage to come forward about. Serious respect for you.

waterfallglow

balance is important both in life and art.....
@Hopper and @OswaldtheRabbit first I want to say thank you for coming clean. It probably was very difficult to do. Yes, I am a bit surprised by learning all this. However, the fact you both now know you were in the wrong and want to do better is a good thing! We ALL make mistakes (points finger at self too) and are human. The important thing is to learn from them and continue to try and do better. Which I think you know cause otherwise you wouldn't of made this thread and apologize. I also want to say that I am a strong believer in unconditional forgiveness. The kind of forgiveness that is given before somebody even realizes they made a mistake and apologizes. You are.. and have been.. forgiven in my eyes. Still.. thank you for apologizing because that is still just as important. -hugs hugs- <3

Oh, Hopper!

Despite the troubles I have deciphering things relating to anything but the literal meanings of the written words of others, I had none feeling the genuine anxiety with which you revealed the truth concerning your multiple identities in this game. I hope the other responses so far have relieved you of that burden, even if only a bit.

Although we do not know each other well, I have seen you occasionally through the years and think your influence on what you generously describe as this beautiful community has been more positive than negative. Assuming your main account remains permitted to enter the magic gates, please do not excommunicate yourself. As @airham said, "I can pretty confidently say that you're exactly the type of person I wish we had more of in this community".

On a more analytical side, @Hopper, I took your post as an opportunity to review the rules concerning what we now call "clones". A bit surprisingly, despite their prevalence in this game as compared to the original version from last decade, the only guideline offered is that they mustn't be used in minigames. From what you write, it sounds like you are aware of this (
"Never have I used clones on minigames against one another, nor during hide and seek events, but I nonetheless prevented many people from getting into host events and hence from receiving exclusive prizes.") but nonetheless feel as though your actions concerning clones have been unethical, rather than necessarily against the rules. Although some might argue that people shouldn't need rules in order to behave properly, I would be in agreement with @VMK_Rapunzel that the current silence of the staff on this topic is sort of asking for things like this to happen.

Electrically, @Hopper, you have specifically asked to be removed from the community over what @morgan correctly described as a situation in which you have not "truly harmed anyone". Drawing from my own experiences since I recently started playing again (being treated like a monster from a few other players because they think I'm someone I'm not), along with the fact that those players are still in the game, it would be a great insult for you to be removed from the game over this. Regardless of whether you choose on your own to leave (a lot of us don't want you to), I hope that you don't get banned.

So, you were up writing this at 02:00, huh? There's no need to correct this assumption if it's wrong, but I don't think you were up at that time on purpose. I'm imagining a situation in which you started writing this at a more regular time, but you spent so long on it that it ended up getting posted at 02:00. Your words do seem to be the product of some effort, and it shows that you genuinely regard this topic with concern, because you wanted your words to be correct — even if it meant having to stay up. And I bet you couldn't go to bed without finishing them. Perhaps I'm incorrect about all this, but I have empathy for the feeling I'm trying to describe, if you also had it. Thank you for writing your post in such a way that it left no question about how you feel.

I wish you peace, stability, and happiness,
—Alex

Last edited: