Touring the Walt Disney Animation Studio Lot!

InkedAnimator

arin, how does sandstorm go again?
Hi, all!
So if any of you know me well, you know that I am an animation student. In October, I had the opportunity along with a select few of my classmates to travel to LA and tour studios in the Burbank/Pasadena area and work a film festival in the latter of the week. We visited Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Creative Capers, Third Floor, and probably the highlight of the trip: Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Here is a collection of photos I took during that incredible day!

Here's me, taking the utmost candid picture while Tom photobombs with our gigantic, kid-snatching white van we rented.

We were greeted by a couple of WDAS employees, including the incredible Mark Henn (pictured). Mark was Tom's mentor and animated Tiana, Mulan, Young Simba, Basil, Mickey, and so many more characters.

Here's the iconic Mickey Ave street sign! After we toured the new campus, we made our way across the street to the old campus where majority of the films through the mid 90's were made.

Last edited:

InkedAnimator

This street sign is a lot more crickety than you think.

The original animation building! A lot of the animator's offices were in this building. They also had an annex five minutes away from the studio on Flower St.

Facing Disney TV Animation, these buildings on either side of the street are Ink/Paint Department and Camera Dept.

You might recognize this little nook from Saving Mr. Banks! P.L. Travers and Walt's chaffeur share a quiet moment in the grass in one scene.

You thought Casting was an impressive building, wait till you see this. Where are you, Iger?!

Animation building facing the courtyard. Top left window with the drawn shades is Walt Disney's office. :')

InkedAnimator

@InkedAnimator i'm so jealous your school did this. i'm in animation as well but wish we had some sort of opportunity like this but noooo they dont even give us proper art classes to take and physically be in ;A;
Oof, where do you go? My mentors are former Disney animators, so we had all sorts of connections. That's so unfortunate to hear. :'(