fixing the myvmk community

riddleguy

It seems there's a serious problem with the community.....as evidenced by this recent post.
Its with a heavy heart I am writing this but it is time for me to say goodbye :halcyon:

I have reached a point where VMK no longer makes me happy because of the petty people. I will miss all of my friends dearly.
What is that problem you might ask? I feel @Gianorail post from july explains it best...

I know it's not fair to demand a lot from the staff considering this whole game is what it is because you guys devote your own free time to bringing back VMK. However, I just feel like the game has become a hodgepodge of people sitting in auction rooms or hanging out in the fantasyland courtyard trying to get SITS. I mean, this game has it's own economy now complete with virtual social classes and it just makes me wonder, why even bother having the rest of the game? Recently I've taken to sitting in the esplanade and walking around the barren kingdom greeting new players, with 9/10 of them always asking me "Where is everyone?" I came back to this game to relive fond memories of the past and so have so many other people but it's as if the public rooms have been completely tossed to the side in favor of rare items and cute or boot. .
In order to fix this issue, the myvmk community needs to work together to be more welcoming and friendly to new players especially considering this is a disney themed game.

Im not saying the staff doesn't do a great job and i know they are doing the best they can to make myvmk great! However, there are a few things the staff could do to encourage more activity in the public rooms and a better community:
-Hangout Events-We need more events that encourage us to hangout in the public rooms. Hide and seek and the collection events help but it's not enough.
-Perm Quests-Releasing some good permanent quests would help to get the community active.
-Star commander prizes-adding the prizes that were supposed to come to star commander to encourage active players would help
-Welcome Partys- bringing back the monthly new member welcome parties former staff rapunzel used to do would be great.

I encourage all members and staff to post with their own feedback and suggestions!

Can't really fix the community imo tbh, much like a high school can't fix their school.

The only times I'm really active is when there is something happening in game or when I log on to check what's happening/who's online. I've met some more friends ingame but they weren't entirely brand new players, just more like I wanna say 1-6 month players and we just happened to run into each other and have a nice little conversation like talking about anime with @Tabru or teaching what little Nihongo aka Japanese I know to @shiba_chan at like 3am. But like at a point in time in the original and I was new and first arrived at Esplande there were also several other new people at the time and we just collectively "Oh hi lol, I'm new here, oh you too? Lets look around, add me as a friend!" and then we learned as a group, eventually playing the ingames and just sitting around in the Underwater grotto chatting away and collecting clams. There is not a big enough influx of new players for this to occur cause this game is relatively unknown, like the fact I was curious about VMK after so many years and just happened to google it was pure dumb luck tbh. Since it's not officially owned by disney it's not recognized by disney nor promoted like it was back in the day.

IIRC I found the og vmk from like a forum posted ad and was like "Huh this looks fun" , so the only real way new people will join is like either googling if they remembered the og or if people tell their friends about it. And with so few new players joining we already have formed friend circles and our own like set schedules we do things. The cards are stacked against new players unless they go out of their way to try and enter an auction room, and those are too fast paced to hold a "Hi I'm new here" conversation, and those are usually the only rooms that are active. (No we shouldn't ban auction rooms) but if you want to be more welcoming then people should just open like casual hang out rooms more often. Forum posts also kinda help in the friend making as you give a little introduction about yourself and try to find someone else with something in common with you like how @NeonUniKorn made a post and talked about how she was a Marine, and I was a Navy so we joked and talked about that.

Welcome parties were great but the only one who ran them was Rapunzel (Rip Rapunzel ily girl) , and we haven't had those ever since, the only slightly similar things are when staff does a post-hns hangout thing in a random public room OR a just completely random hangout in a random room cause I've been a part of one at like 2am and our lord and savior @GA_Hogie returned from the dead , and I don't know how many people are joining vmk at 2am but not very many is what I'm gonna guess. Also for whatever reason there could be like lets say 20 people in a trade/auction room, then when a host event happens I see 150 people trying to storm into this room, then as soon as the event is over not a soul remains and it's kinda mind boggling the game is dead one minute, jampacked the next, then empty again like 30 minutes later. If the community put an effort to I guess welcoming new players and/or helping them get started like they do bombrushing a trade pin event then the world might be a better place. Idk

Star Commander I wanna say launched way too soon, it wasn't ready nor was anything else ready about it. The controls are eh, especially when you are trying to walk and get stuck on a wall then get shot in the back, perhaps if there were special maps made solely for this game mode and not recycling Tomorrowland as some battle royale game mode. There is also the get shot once and you are out, and have to jump back into the game again cause there is no healthbar or anything like that in game, should be like I want to say 3 HP and when you do get shot once you are just kinda frozen but also invincible for like 5 seconds so you aren't immediately booted out the game and if you want to give chase to the one who shot you you can. I have not seen a single power up the few times I played so I don't even know if they are even in game or not, if they are ingame increase the spawn rate a bit at least, a health point could also be a power up where you recover a lost HP. There is also no place to "Store" your what are they even called? Space Points? Idk. Atm it's either, Cash them in for credits or keep them and lose them as soon as you get shot, if anything you shouldn't lose them all when you get shot, but you lose a fraction, when you get shot on your last HP then you should lose the rest cause that's when it's gameover. They need to fix that too cause what if something is idk 2000 points lets say, you are kinda then expecting someone to mlg this game and somehow save 2000 points without getting shot and losing all that progress. Like the highest I got was 200ish and then I haven't played the game since cause I don't want 200 credits or to lose those points I struggled for, there is no real incentive to play unless you are wanting credits that way, it's no wonder friendly potc is the go to to credit making (I'll stop the friendlies talk here lolol) But like the Buzz Lightyear game itself is in beta if anything.

I talk to much and got sidetracked but maybe implementing some of this will slowly bring back people, or keep them from leaving. Idk

@Tabru It was a compliment and an example of just meeting new friends based on mutual interest/ a forum post. If anything I'm the biggest nerd/weeb around lol