A Popular Food that You DONT Like?

I love anything that's edible but I just hate the taste of olives. Bleh. Anything else is good with me!

MissSimba

having Aspergers doesn't make it impossible to get used to textures though. If I stuck with this mentality I wouldn't do anything because I'm really picky. Being picky shouldn't be mistaken for general dislike, certain things like food are boundaries that can be pushed, especially for autistic people. Coming from someone who is autistic, using autism as a reason for being picky isn't the right reason. If you just don't like something, then you don't like it, which is something as exampled by this thread that people on whole share, and pickiness can be pushed and tested to try new things no matter who you are.
No, I see what you mean. When I posted what I did, I reread it and thought it really wasn't saying what I meant, but I didn't know how to put it and, frankly, was also kind of too lazy to revise it. Yes, it's possible to overcome the sensitivity to texture, just as it's possible to try and overcome difficulty with social situations. But because the ASD is typically (at least according to studies) behind the problem, I feel it is okay to say that I do have a pickiness to texture due to my Asperger's. I didn't mean to imply that it's impossible to get past it, however.

I've personally never understood the texture sensory issue though, so perhaps you or @MissSimba could explain that to me? Like what does it feel like to eat a food with a texture you don't like or can't stand? Like I said, I personally do have sensory issues that go along with my pickiness.... and smells can be really bad for me.
For me, if I encounter a texture I can't stand, my throat literally closes up and I can't swallow. I'll start gagging. If I, by some miracle, manage to get it down, the lingering feeling in my throat will make me continue to gag and eventually vomit. It's really strange, especially if this happens with something I find tastes really good. I wonder if that's how people who are allergic to something that they still enjoy the taste of feel. I used to love the taste of grape-flavored anything, but had a liquid grape medicine with a terrible texture. I would vomit every time I took it even though I loved the taste. Of course, that eventually turned into me feeling sick every time I tasted grape, and I also can't stand the shade of purple of that medicine (seeing that color will actually make me nauseated!). All because of a texture...

Jasmine

No, I see what you mean. When I posted what I did, I reread it and thought it really wasn't saying what I meant, but I didn't know how to put it and, frankly, was also kind of too lazy to revise it. Yes, it's possible to overcome the sensitivity to texture, just as it's possible to try and overcome difficulty with social situations. But because the ASD is typically (at least according to studies) behind the problem, I feel it is okay to say that I do have a pickiness to texture due to my Asperger's. I didn't mean to imply that it's impossible to get past it, however.

For me, if I encounter a texture I can't stand, my throat literally closes up and I can't swallow. I'll start gagging. If I, by some miracle, manage to get it down, the lingering feeling in my throat will make me continue to gag and eventually vomit. It's really strange, especially if this happens with something I find tastes really good. I wonder if that's how people who are allergic to something that they still enjoy the taste of feel. I used to love the taste of grape-flavored anything, but had a liquid grape medicine with a terrible texture. I would vomit every time I took it even though I loved the taste. Of course, that eventually turned into me feeling sick every time I tasted grape, and I also can't stand the shade of purple of that medicine (seeing that color will actually make me nauseated!). All because of a texture...
Oh gosh the grape medicine thing brought back bad childhood memories! Now I understand because I had to take sudafed a lot and it was grape flavored and talk about an odd texture... Not only was it thick, but it was as if it had salt crystals in it that wouldn't dissolve. That probably makes no sense, but I'm serious lol. That just goes to show that sensory issues in people with ASDs can be pretty serious (and apparently can mimic symptoms of allergic reactions).

Mashed potatoes.:vomit:
Don't get me wrong, I love potatoes. Chips are awesome, and french fries are great too. Its the texture of it I have a problem with it. The look of it grosses me out to be honest. I'm a picky eater.