a written guide to fireworks

Ieah

hello!
i'm not the best fireworks player by a long shot (there are firework legends that i pale in comparison to) but i thought it would hopefully be beneficial to share some tips that i use that have helped me throughout my time playing fireworks.

shoutout to @Nicoleasaurus for the extra tips and elaboration in post #2 of this thread (right below this one! do give them a thorough read as well!)

if you're more of a visual learner and want a much better in depth view of the mechanics/techniques, please check out Dep's amazing fireworks video guide!

to start, here's how a game looks for me. it's not a perfect game but you can get an idea of a playthrough using the tips that i have listed here.

for context, i use a wireless mouse (which i HIGHLY recommend over using tackpad) and the numbers at the top of my keyboard to transition between fireworks:

1. the flawless multiplier is your best friend!
how does one flawlessly shoot a firework? you click on the firework right as it is about to disappear; this is most easily denoted by the white star that appears for less than a second at the end of the firework's path. you can see instances on when to shoot a flawless firework in the vid.

the flawless multiplier increases with each consecutive flawless firework shot (up to a maximum of 3x). focus on maintaining it as much as possible, as with it each firework shot is 24 points. especially in the first 3 rounds you mainly want to focus on keeping that multiplier since combos aren't worth as much as later rounds. it is best to keep the multiplier going as much as possible, but there are instances where it is better to break it to rack up more points than keeping it (see #4). take this with a grain of salt though as this is what i personally do in later rounds. there are probably more efficient ways in getting combos without breaking your multiplier but i have been able to score decently by shooting combos in rounds 4 and 5 and breaking the multiplier in the process.

if you shoot anything besides flawless unfortunately the multiplier goes away, but no worries as you can build it back up again. that being said, the longer you shoot fireworks with your maxed out multiplier the higher your score will be. i cannot emphasize this enough, the flawless multiplier is incredibly important if you want to get higher scores. you do not have to shoot every single firework to keep the multiplier going as it is only dependent on the fireworks that you do end up shooting. therefore, avoid certain situations as mentioned in #2 below if you are still getting the hang of building the multiplier.

2. for those that are having trouble with keeping the multiplier, avoid fireworks that are out of your reach/on top of each other
like previously mentioned, the multiplier unfortunately goes away with any firework shot that is not flawless. the most common case where i personally broke my multiplier when first starting was either when there were two fireworks were shot far away from each other at the same time and i prematurely clicked on the second one out of anticipation or two were shot in the same exact spot on top of one another. it's more worth to miss one firework or two fireworks completely vs. breaking the multiplier on a bad click, especially with those pesky fireworks that land in the exact same spot but are different types. once you play enough and get a hang of the dimensions of the game window and where fireworks land you will start being able to reach these with no problem. with enough practice you don't have to avoid these fireworks, but for beginners its best to leave them be if you are still getting used to keeping a consistent multiplier.

what has helped me with the fireworks on top of each other situation is to aim to the side of one of the clumped fireworks and immediately upon exploding it switching to the other that is next to it. this comes to be extremely difficult and even now i struggle with it all the time so i end up 90% of the time ignore shooting these cases completely. with fireworks that are far away from each other and shot at the same time, with enough practice it all becomes muscle memory. if you do want to solely practice hitting both before they disappear, you can shoot them without worrying about getting them both at flawless and as you progressively get better you will become fast enough to get them both and keep your multiplier!

for those who are playing by phone, @SamiDawne85 suggests to be wary of hidden fireworks! it may be especially difficult to see when fireworks overlap on top of one another due to the smaller playing screen. this is tricky as these instances will break your multiplier. unfortunately it is more difficult to avoid something you can't see as well, so if your multiplier does break unexpectedly due to this, do not panic! you can always rebuild your multiplier and with enough practice you can better anticipate what levels/stages these overlap instances occur which will help you avoid them.

3. in rounds that have multiple fireworks popping up at the end i try to focus as much as possible on either 1) the combo of the round or 2) the firework that pops up the most.
DO NOT USE EXPLODE ALL EVER!

in some cases i'll do my best to just hit as many fireworks as i can with my multiplier (given i still have it) but in cases where the combos give a lot of points (such as those big 100 point ones in round 5) i focus as much as possible on the two fireworks of that combo. i never press the explode all button since it gets rid of the multiplier and also because i have a better chance at shooting at least a few individually. hitting explode all doesn't necessarily add points for all the fireworks on the screen, it only will for the firework you currently have active when you press it. it also will shoot everything regardless of what point stage they are in, so more often than not you will have very few flawless fireworks hit and a whole lot of oopsies. also, your multiplier will be reset, so just don't do it, not even at the end of the round! if you still have your flawless multiplier you will most likely be able to get more points shooting a couple fireworks flawless vs. exploding all.

4. in rounds 4 and 5, combos contribute a lot to your score. that's not to say you shouldn't go after them in earlier rounds though (as long as it's in your ability to keep the multiplier).

combos in rounds 4 and 5 (in addition to the flawless multiplier) are arguably some of the most important contributors to your score.
to put into perspective how valuable hitting these 80 and 100 point combos are, i usually end round 3 with a score around 4.8k. after rounds 4 and 5, i am usually able to double my score up to the mid to high 9k range if i focus on mainly hitting combos and keeping the multiplier.

if it means breaking your flawless multiplier to make sure you get that combo in rounds 4 and 5, do it. sometimes i'll skip out on hitting a lot of in between fireworks if that means getting the combo points, but i still try to keep the multiplier as much as possible in between. it's easier to hit combos in these rounds since the number of fireworks needed drops to 2 instead of 3.

HOWEVER, that is not to say you shouldn't try going after combos in earlier rounds. if you see the last firework of a combo coming up in sidebar, you can go after it as it does add up to be more than hitting one firework that you would miss in completing the combo (explained better below). don't break your multiplier going after these combos (i.e by prematurely shooting them to get the points like you would in rounds 4 and 5) in the early rounds; it's best to only complete combos that are easily accessible to keep your multiplier.

let me preface the next paragraph by saying that i started using this method once i felt very comfortable with combos and firework patterns and felt like i hit a plateau in my scoring. once i started using that method, i saw a pretty decent increase in my scoring consistency (around a 100-200 point increase in a good game). therefore, for those who would like to improve their score and were on the same boat as me and are a bit more advanced at the game, i can vouch that this method has personally helped me, but like i say with everything, it may vary for you, so try it out first and see what works best :)

to give an example on what i mean, if i am in round 3 where combos aren't necessarily worth enough to break your multiplier (like in rounds 4 and 5) but are still worth more to hit than not shooting one firework, i would look at the fireworks coming up on the sidebar. let's say i am in a stage of the round where there are two fireworks in the combo. i hit the first firework of the combo and glance to the side and see that the second firework of the combo is coming up but only after a different firework. i will not shoot the different firework and instead shoot the combo firework right after it to complete the combo. that way, i get the combo points of the hit fireworks, which in turn add up more to what would have been if i didn't get that combo and hit that firework in between. once you get a better hang of the patterns and are more comfortable with doing this, you can implement this technique in earlier rounds. even in round 1! but like i stated earlier, this may be something that is rather difficult to keep track of if you are just starting out. focus on consistently hitting fireworks flawlessly first and get those easy to hit combos and then you can transition to this technique without a problem!

5. some firework combos are more frustrating to hit than others.
not necessarily a tip but more of an observation. we all may have experienced this at one point or another. it is especially annoying when you get to that very last round and you see that the combo includes that blue #8 firework (aka the bane of my existence). in the event that happens to you and you're like me (i have small hands and sometimes can't reach the button in time) i just ignore combos completely and focus solely on the multiplier. this can be applicable to any round if the combo is too difficult to hit, but definitely with practice it can become attainable!

if you are still getting used to transitioning fireworks efficiently, i suggest trying to just focus on combos that have fireworks 1-5 and work up from there, as you don't have to move around your hand as much. this advice is probably most relevant to people who use the top number keys on their keyboards like me; i'm not too sure how it is with a number pad, but i assume it is easier to move around. i have not really tried using the arrow keys so unfortunately i don't have much advice on that.

6. every game is different; don't feel discouraged!
you may notice as you practice that some games turn out better than others; this may be due to the combos, the way the fireworks shoot out, or how fast your reflexes are for that game. i have extremely large score discrepencies between all my games, and i feel that it depends mainly on the seed of the game in terms of how the fireworks shoot and what combos are available; i do better in some firework patterns than others.

if you notice that you didn't do as hot as you did in a previous game but felt like you shot those fireworks as well if not better, it probably wasn't so much the way you played but rather the types of combos/higher frequency of harder to hit fireworks that appeared. i feel like i am pretty consistent in the number of fireworks i hit per game, however my score typically ranges from low 9k to mid/upper 10k (a whole 1.5k range) despite this because of the different frequencies in combos that appear.

7. practice and patience is key!
to give context on how important practice is, i started out barely being able to hit above 3k. once you get the hang of your mouse sensitivity, the firework numbers, and certain patterns in how the fireworks shoot out you will start to see improvement as it becomes muscle memory. i have been playing fireworks almost every day for months and although it does get frustrating at times it is rewarding to see your progress! also fireworks is a great way to make credits (especially on double credit days) so even though it does progress slower than the other minigames, you can make decent coin and get keys while practicing. with the new key guidelines, its a great way to rack up time for your key timer since every full game is more than 10 minutes long!

once you practice enough, you will begin to see that fireworks shoot in certain patterns during certain stages, and with that you will be able to better anticipate and shoot. i also found that i do better when i shift my game window to take up the right half of my screen, as it makes it a smaller area to navigate vs. the entire desktop. try finding the best configuration for yourself and your own playing style that you are best with. the top 3 scorers in fireworks all have different playing styles; one uses a number pad, one uses arrows, and one uses the number row at the top of the keyboard. just because one person uses a certain method doesn't necessarily mean it will be best for you, so experiment! the only recommendation that i would say helps immensely for everyone though is having a wireless mouse, however it is possible to play with a touchscreen as well (there's a highscorer that does this)!

tldr (because this is extremely long)
1. keep flawless multiplier as much as possible (and avoid situations where you might break it)
2. combos are important for higher scores; always focus on them when possible (esp. in rounds 4/5)
3. if combos are too hard to hit just focus on maintaining your multiplier
4. do not use explode all (ever, not even at the end of the round)
5. your score in one game does not dictate your score in another (in other words, keep trying!)
6. practice, practice, practice! find your own optimal playing style

i'll probably add to this as i figure out better ways to word everything or if anything else comes to mind. all in all, it's a game, and although it can be very frustrating at times, just try to have fun and play the way that allows you to enjoy it the most. you can usually find me in the fireworks lobby so if you'd like to play together and get an idea of what i usually score during each round feel free to add me (my ign is ieah with the i capitalized to look like an l) or msg me on discord! hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions or other tips <3​

Last edited:

Ieah

tips from @Nicoleasaurus!

1. You don’t lose points for missing fireworks so it’s okay to miss some, especially in the later rounds.

2. ALWAYS. GO. FOR. FLAWLESS. (When the White Star flashes on the firework, THATS when you hit it)

3. Flawless multiplier is your best friend. Explode all & the 8th firework are your mortal enemy.

4. Levels 1-2, focus only on hitting all the fireworks and getting them all flawless. I personally will quit if I get an awesome within the first level, unless it’s the first firework of the round and the multiplier hasn’t started yet.

5. Level 3 varies for everyone. I personally like to focus on hitting as many flawless as I can BUT in rounds 1&3 I’ll aim for combos IF AND ONLY IF they’re on the screen. I will bypass one firework if it means I get the combo but ONLY then if that makes sense. Round 2 of level 3 don’t even bother with the combos bc it’s a 3 firework combo every time.

6. Levels 4&5 focus on the combos. These are the levels where it’s especially ok to not hit all the fireworks in order to hit those flawless combos bc combos in level 4 are worth 80 & 100 points respectively, so get those flawless combos in the last two levels.

7. I personally have been using a mouse & the top row of number keys so the way I place my fingers for the majority of rounds is left pinky on 1, left ring finger on 2, left middle on 3, and then my left pointer I place in between 4&5 (I start level 1 only with my pointer and middle on 1&2 and move over as fireworks are added) once you get used to switching between 4&5 you can easily hit all the 4 (red spacship’s) & 5 (green circles). It might take a few games to get used to the placements.

8. It’s taken lots of practice but once you’re comfortable, i can hit a bunch of the 6th fireorks now easily by stretching the finger in between 4/5 to hit 6, but that took a couple games to really get comfortable doing.

9. I pretty much avoid 7&8 unless I need them for combos (& honestly 8 I just avoid bc it’s super short and I just would rather not). Usually, I only get the 7th fw in a combo w/ 4 so if that happens I’ll move my fingers so left pinky is on 4, left ring 5, left middle 6 & left pointer 7 so I can easily hit the 4&7 combo but that’s something I’m still working on bc I’m so used to the 1-4 placement rather than 4-7 so I still struggle with hitting 5/6 when it would be a 2-3 but that’s another thing that takes practice

10. Don’t get discouraged. With fireworks, it’s the tiny baby step improvements that matter because that’s how you’re going to improve. It’s not going to be an overnight change because the placements and committing which firework is which number (or arrow if you use arrows. I personally can’t with the arrows) to memory takes some time. A month and a half ago I couldn’t even pass 3k or even finish the game bc I got so much anxiety and now I’m regularly hitting 7500-8k so it’s possible - it just takes time and practice. Also having the rewards helps tbh the 750000 point rewards (firework magic) is nice as a goal & it sells for about 5k per star.

11. But yeah don’t get discouraged and honestly sometimes you could be doing EVERYTHING right and just be getting bad combos (talking about you combo with #6 and #8) or your combos might just not be showing up.

12. TLDR - always go flawless, level 1-2 just always go flawless, level 3 mainly flawless, flawless combos if they show up, level 4-5 prioritize flawless combos

Last edited:

Ieah

i'm sorry i'm just so excited, but!!!

1588530416389.png

EDIT: the game right after i broke my personal best AGAIN and i am crying since i set a goal of beating 10k right when i first started playing fireworks two months ago. let this be sign that with enough practice you can beat your expectations!

1588531688542.png

updated the guide with a few things that helped me break my scoring barrier today :) hopefully it helps everyone like it helped me!​

Last edited:

SamiDawne85

Probably bored or anxious
You are awesome for posting this!! Thank you!! I'm using my phone to play, so the gameplay will probably be a little different, but I learned so much from your advice!! And congrats on beating your personal best!!

Ieah

You are awesome for posting this!! Thank you!! I'm using my phone to play, so the gameplay will probably be a little different, but I learned so much from your advice!! And congrats on beating your personal best!!
i'm so happy it helped and thank you so much! if you find any good techniques for playing by phone let me know so i can add them here. i'd love to make this a universal guide that can also cater toward other playing styles i'm not as familiar with!

JustDep

Forever Awkward
blue spikey #8 firework (aka the bane of my existence)
Relatable content.

Loved this! When I initially made the video that you linked of me, I thought I was going to make a post similar to this. But holy Scooby-Doo macaroni and cheese it was taking me so long that I just said heck it and just posted the video. You covered all the bases, I'll be referencing this whenever someone asks me how to get better. Thank you!

Ieah

Relatable content.

Loved this! When I initially made the video that you linked of me, I thought I was going to make a post similar to this. But holy Scooby-Doo macaroni and cheese it was taking me so long that I just said heck it and just posted the video. You covered all the bases, I'll be referencing this whenever someone asks me how to get better. Thank you!
it's an honor to hear this coming from you!! i remember first watching your fireworks video and thinking to myself how could someone be so good at such a game and it compelled me to try it out for myself. after a ton of practice (and rewatching your video multiple times) i decided to put this guide together as a way to answer some common questions that i wish i knew when first starting up. thank YOU for making your gameplay video that initially helped me understand the game better! let's play sometime :)

SamiDawne85

i'm so happy it helped and thank you so much! if you find any good techniques for playing by phone let me know so i can add them here. i'd love to make this a universal guide that can also cater toward other playing styles i'm not as familiar with!
I'm still learning, but everything you've suggested is what's helped the most..plus practice...lots of practice lol. I finally broke 5,000!! Not for the quest though :cry: but honestly like you said, focus on flawless hits as much as possible and don't worry about combos until levels 4&5. For phone users I'd suggest to beware of hidden fireworks!! It's so tiny so sometimes when they hide one behind another you'll clear out your flawless bonus without realizing it.. otherwise practice practice practice!!

Ieah

I'm still learning, but everything you've suggested is what's helped the most..plus practice...lots of practice lol. I finally broke 5,000!! Not for the quest though :cry: but honestly like you said, focus on flawless hits as much as possible and don't worry about combos until levels 4&5. For phone users I'd suggest to beware of hidden fireworks!! It's so tiny so sometimes when they hide one behind another you'll clear out your flawless bonus without realizing it.. otherwise practice practice practice!!
yay congrats!! even though hitting 5000 may have not been for this quest your practice that went toward hitting that scoring goal definitely will help for future ones :) i'll add your advice about phone gameplay to the guide for others in case they are also playing the same way. thank you!

SamiDawne85

yay congrats!! even though hitting 5000 may have not been for this quest your practice that went toward hitting that scoring goal definitely will help for future ones :) i'll add your advice about phone gameplay to the guide for others in case they are also playing the same way. thank you!
Thank you!! Lol I was definitely doing a happy dance lol!!