approximate values of rares?

i know, i know, it's all based on supply and demand and some people may be willing to let go of a certain item for less than others and some people are willing to give more for an item than others, but here's the deal. i found & joined myvmk a little over a week ago now. i'm having a blast, but i'm also getting to the point where the novelty of being in vmk again is beginning to give way to me wanting to dip my feet into the wonderful world of trading and collecting. it's just difficult for me to know where to begin when there doesn't even seem to be some sort of ballpark estimate regarding a specific item i might be looking to trade for. that makes me feel like maybe i just have to spend hours upon hours building up my credits to some insane number and then figure it out from there, which is quite an overwhelming way to look at it. it's always easier when you're working towards a goal, right?

i'd really like to see some players come together and try to work out some sort of parameters regarding the "value" of the items that are universally considered rare. i'm willing to help keep an updated "guide" of sorts to allow for adjustments based on circumstance and whatnot. but - and i'm literally about to pick numbers out of a hat, so please know that this is not a real estimate at all - if a stitch hat is normally worth 40k-60k, why not put that out there for people to see? it would keep players from losing money on both ends of the trade, and give newer users something to aim for.

i dunno, i'm just thinking of some sort of list of the most commonly seen values, based on input from the community. i'm NOT suggesting we set anything in stone - and i trust that the majority of people would be mature enough to take those kinds of numbers with a grain of salt. there could be a disclaimer before anything else, stating that these are not established values and trades shouldn't necessarily be made with these numbers in mind, but that it's simply a reference to see, for example, how certain items stack up against each other. i'll be the first to admit i'm no business aficionado, but it honestly doesn't sound like it would be any trouble. y/n?

I would love you forever if you did this. I don't like trading because I always think I'm going to get ripped off because I'm totally clueless when it comes to the value of items.

Well... I took an economics class briefly. And VMK is not really different. It's like you said. It's based on supply, demand. How many units are in the game of 1 particular thing. Does it have a practical use? Like a special effect (magic). Or is it a plain pin? Is in in high demand because of its popularity.. eg. stitch hat. And most importantly: Is there a chance it will be widely re-released in the future?

We have to consider all these things, and more too. Like how long its been retired. Just so many things. It's a matter of opinion like you said. And get this: A belief that something is worth something, EVEN if it's not can increase it's value. So if flip hat is worth 40 firewalls, and we put it on a trading guide that its worth around 60.. You can expect to see it trading more around that. Our paper money in the real world represents nothing of any actual value. Nor does the paper have value. If everyone believes and agrees that something is worth a lot, it becomes it. Even if it normally wouldn't be.

Still, I think its a good idea. We'd need to do approximate values and maybe base it off a community vote, with input from a few top traders (I'll vote for savvy.max :P). I'm a bit scared to entrust it with the top traders though, because I feel like they could take advantage of the virtual economy and raise certain values to become richer. Maybe that's a bit overly paranoid, though.

I think a wiki would be a good place to start. A closed one with only a few editors. And maybe a discussions page. Values change every day. So we'd need people to be editing it quite constantly. This could really help out newer players but I do think it needs some intelligent modification. :)

kalyee

I think this is a good idea in theory, but implementing it would be near impossible. Value/"business" savvy traders like to buy low and sell high, and gain most of the rare items in the game - especially limited items. When a player realizes an item has a high value, they'll charge high if they know there aren't a lot around/they're hard to obtain, and players who want the item will jump through hoops to trade at that price, even if they acknowledge it's a bit much, because they desire it and may not find it again. To make a list of set prices would be difficult, as prices increase/decrease depending on amount in game/demand, and wouldn't really be used as a guide by many people because everyone values their items differently. Say you put down a Stitch hat at 50 firewalls - what if the person with the Stitch hat doesn't want firewalls? Then there's a gray area where the traders are trying to figure out what else is equal to those firewalls, and the value guide goes out the window. The stats page helped people determine what was more common, and therefore "more rare" but still didn't help with set values, because everyone wants different things. If I was going to trade my super rares, I wouldn't be able to use a guide that bases things off credits, firewalls, or clocks, because those are not items that I want, and therefore I'd have to spend hours either converting item values into firewalls, or coming up with my own list of wants - which is what traders do currently.

A value system would be good, but again, it'd be really difficult to implement and gain the agreement of the community as far as values are concerned.

laurathelostgirl

Official Nevergirl
I would really like to see this happen. I'm so tired of asking what things are worth. I feel like I'm getting annoying to others because of it.

I'm constantly asking people what certain things are worth so I would love to see that something like this would happen! More experienced traders always have the upper hand on less experienced ones leading them to get ripped off. I stopped playing the game for 6 months and after coming back I didn't know the value of anything, so being said I'd love to see a system to help people trade fair! The greed in this game is to another level, might I add..