Assumptions

Whispered

People make assumptions a lot, and they tend to "make an ### out of you and me".

A good example is the recent drama involving Skye - when people found that there was a real girl named Skye, they didn't do anything more but to assume that it was her who pulled the wool over VMK's face.

Those people look kinda rude for calling Skye a bad person when it has now come to light that none of us truly knew Skye.

What's your thoughts on when it's appropriate to make assumptions, and how extreme?

Lindsay

Everybody makes assumptions. There's no way to tell when it's "appropriate" or not because it's an ongoing thing. You can never stop making assumptions because when you form an opinion you make an assumption and everybody has opinions on everything. Right now I'm making assumptions about you. Is it appropriate? Who cares. It's going to happen because I'm forming an opinion.

Whispered

Everybody makes assumptions. There's no way to tell when it's "appropriate" or not because it's an ongoing thing. You can never stop making assumptions because when you form an opinion you make an assumption and everybody has opinions on everything. Right now I'm making assumptions about you. Is it appropriate? Who cares. It's going to happen because I'm forming an opinion.
There are definitely assumptions that are inappropriate to make, such as assuming that someone who looks hispanic is an illegal immigrant.

Lindsay

There are definitely assumptions that are inappropriate to make, such as assuming that someone who looks hispanic is an illegal immigrant.
Rather than inappropriate I would feel that would be more of an extreme type of assumption. When you ask is it appropriate to me feels more like you're saying is it bad to make assumptions. I think extreme assumptions (like the example you posted) are more silly and inappropriate. Why assume somebody is illegal just because they are Hispanic? Assuming they don't know English on the other hand would be less extreme. Extreme assumptions could range to be anything though.

Whispered

Rather than inappropriate I would feel that would be more of an extreme type of assumption. When you ask is it appropriate to me feels more like you're saying is it bad to make assumptions. I think extreme assumptions (like the example you posted) are more silly and inappropriate. Why assume somebody is illegal just because they are Hispanic? Assuming they don't know English on the other hand would be less extreme. Extreme assumptions could range to be anything though.
I think it'd still be inappropriate to assume someone who looks hispanic/asian/etc. doesn't know English. I think the whole category of assumptions based upon race, be them good or bad, is inappropriate.

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One
In the Skye situation. Honestly any normal person's first thought would have been that the real Skye was lying. Obviously that was wrong but when humans don't know the whole truth they assume things and that's something that comes naturally.

Ya the extreme assumption you described is inappropriate but that's not even an assumption that's an offensive stereotype.

Whispered

In the Skye situation. Honestly any normal person's first thought would have been that the real Skye was lying. Obviously that was wrong but when humans don't know the whole truth they assume things and that's something that comes naturally.

Ya the extreme assumption you described is inappropriate but that's not even an assumption that's an offensive stereotype.
My first thought was actually along the lines that someone was framing someone's bad situation to make staff look bad (for making a big deal out of her if she wasn't dying). Not an invalid assumption based upon recent drama. I don't know that anyone's first thought should be that it's a real person being extremely toyish with people's emotions.. I can understand why it would be, but it shouldn't be. I tend to come at things from the idea that humans are generally good in nature.

Also, stereotypes are by definition assumptions. You're assuming something about people/a person that is (generally) based upon things you've seen in similar people.

Lindsay

I'm sorry but you can't honestly tell me you've never made an "inappropriate" assumption. It's just something we all do. Whether it has to do with a girl's personal life, an immigrant/alien's life, or even members of an online game, we've all made "inappropriate" assumptions.[DOUBLEPOST=1432983368][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, stereotypes are by definition assumptions. You're assuming something about people/a person that is (generally) based upon things you've seen in similar people.
There's a reason why there's stereotypes. Generally people who look alike act alike. I went to a popeyes in the city near where I live and it had all black workers and I was the only white customer. Sorry but to me that just supports the stereotype that black people like fried chicken. And what I just posted supports the stereotype that white people are prejudice. We judge people before we get to know them. It happens.

Whispered

I don't think I said I never made them - just that I try to avoid them. I'm not perfect, nobody is.

Also, you don't really say anything about why stereotypes are good or needed in society. If you try really hard, you can avoid stereotyping people. This is especially true of stereotypes based upon race, gender, etc. I understand that stereotypes are not, generally, baseless, but that doesn't mean they're right or beneficial to society. They're, at their simplest, assumptions that are, a lot of times, wrong.

@linymae too lazy to press quote button so i just ping instead oops

Apparently, most of you guys are too young and or fortunate enough to have not experienced DEATH in your midst. Most of my reflections when analyzing the Skye situation were in consideration of my own demise and that of people I have met throughout my life. I dont believe that it is so much an assumption as the fact that it seemed "fishie" to me mainly for one reason. For those of us that believe in God, a higher power, even an Atheist will agree NOBODY (unless they commit suicide) can accurately predict the day they will die. Its actually a blessing we CAN'T . Because I guarantee, if we KNEW we would be doing something other than getting on a virtual game in the midst of a crisis and trying to give out lucky pennies. If I were DYING the first person I would give a lucky penny to would be MYSELF. Apparently and fortunately most of the VMK community hasn't experienced major health problems. I HAVE. When a person is truly sick, you go through a gamut of emotions. Most sick people internalize their emotions and withdraw. I'm sure there are people that are selfless in the world. Younger children that face death are quite unselfish. But seldom are they "Pushy". (accept my dying wish, take this pixel). And there were tale-tale signs. She kept a list of people that didnt accept her "lucky penny". What is a dying person gonna do with a "list"? I would be writing poetry or words of Love to my FAMILY. Wondering how well did I live the life I was gifted. Most everyone is looking for something/someone to believe in. In reality however, look at all the people that drank Kool-aid because they believed in Jim Jones. Thank goodness this was virtual, huh?! No-one should feel badly that they cared and showed love! That is an admirable thing to do. People all over the WEB are giving REAL hard earned money and support to people that fake death and illness. I have a sister in law that is doing that exact thing. Telling people she is dying and her last wish is to go to Florida and can people give her money and or a place to stay along the way. People do it. Because we WANT to believe and we Want to show all the virtues within us- Love, Caring, Compassion, Kindness. Guess what, WE ARE ALL DYING. Most "dying" people cant handle a 12 hour car ride. This has gone on for over a year and she is still alive and kicking. But I guarantee if I tried to tell people my perspective I would be the bad guy. Every heard of killing the messenger?? Yeah some people say Skye didn't hurt anyone because it was ALL VIRTUAL and she didn't keep anything. I'm here to tell you SHE DID HURT PEOPLE. She took a little bit of SOMETHING from everyone that cared and shed a tear on her lies. Even from those of us that doubted. Because it's pains me to see EVIL flourish in the world. People can play it down as much as they want, but it was SICK AND EVIL. It's WRONG to deceive people because WE ARE REAL and we all FEEL. Life is about learning. I bet most people will guard their hearts more closely in the future. Be careful. I mean if is walks like a duck right?! Some of us are just more cautious with giving our hearts merely because we have lived long enough to be burned by others multiple times. Yes it adds even more pain to us, it shakes our belief system, our compassion and especially our Trust!! We need to pull ourselves back up by our britches and move on because I can pretty much guarantee it won't be the LAST time in our lives that we are misled. Take the blinders off and proceed with caution. Watch for the signs along the road.... <3

Whispered

@Glittercathy um this wasn't really about what all happened.. nor was it even about that assumption (that she was real and it wasn't a hoax).. I think your comment is very well written however. Although personally I tend to like when people use bold instead of caps, personal preference.

Like I said - very well written, just may be more in place in the other thread.

Megara

no sleep club
Had a lot of discussions about assumptions and stereotypes in my sociology class last year. Here's the thing - we've all been conditioned to think some type of way about something - whether from friends, family, or personal experiences. For example, growing up, I was conditioned to rarely believe anything or anyone on the internet. My mom was a big safety mom, and even in the original VMK, my mom made an account to join me as well (as many families did). So now, my first thought about anyone on the internet is to question their truthfulness.. My first assumption about the Skye situation was that it was a hoax, but I did not say anything out of the possibility that it could be true. Whether the assumption is inappropriate or not, we all have those conditioned thoughts, which is why we think a certain way about something. Stereotypes are important because it enables us to respond rapidly to situations that we may have had a similar experience in before. The first time we meet someone, stereotypes help us form thoughts on the person we are talking to. Could the opinions be wrong/inappropriate? Of course. Can those opinions change over time with that person? Of course - it's up to us to be the judge of changing that conditioned stereotype we may have. We all function solely off of the things we personally know and experience, so everyone is going to think and feel differently on the same subject. In this case, I understand where the people who are being extreme in this Skye situation are coming from.

i apologize if something doesn't make sense. it seems like i'm always plagued with a headache, but i want to get my thoughts down

@Glittercathy um this wasn't really about what all happened.. nor was it even about that assumption (that she was real and it wasn't a hoax).. I think your comment is very well written however. Although personally I tend to like when people use bold instead of caps, personal preference.

Thanks for that. It doesnt really matter because most of my posts seem to be deleted for one reason or another. LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1432987646][/DOUBLEPOST]

And Im Old. Sorry, someday I may get up to speed. LOL