Best Guest Room! Or Maybe Not..

SilentCrow

Hi. I'm Mannequin. If you play POTC in VMK you probably know me. I spend the great majority of my time on VMK (not a whole lot) playing pirates when I do come online. However at the beginning of August there were some sand items released that I really liked. I decided I would spend all my hard-earned credits taking my first crack at making a room *ever*. On August 3rd I completed (save a few small touches as later items came out: green tiki torches, sand turret) what I named The Sandy Outpost Oasis. The room took me something between 8-10 hours to complete as I wanted my vision to come alive just right. A day or two later I held a grand opening for all my friends to come check out my proud accomplishment which turned out to be a pretty ******** room. It received quite a bit of attention for the 2-3 hours I had to play that day and many familiar and unfamiliar faces came and went through my room. Many people made comments that they thought I should win best guest room for my work. My college classes began in early-mid August so my time to play came to an abrupt halt pretty shortly after my grand opening for the room, and I disappeared from VMK for a while. It is only upon returning in September I found something very strange on the newsletter.....

http://puu.sh/k0siK/5affbbc3af.jpg

Look familiar to anyone?
How about the names of the rooms?

I realize people will disagree. They're not exact. I realize people will think I'm just crying about not getting an award. Truth is I don't care about stroking my ego. But there is an undeniable likeness in overall design and smaller sections that is simply beyond coincidence. I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

Attachments

Pascal98

If u ask me they look nothing alike.. I think that you're crying over not winning. Also, you asked for my opinion so..

Africaelena

It does look similar. And although, there is small room for creating extravagant rooms without looking similar to other-- I will be one to admit that I have based my room off of one's I have been in, tweaking it a little but fully giving credit to the owner of that room. So being on the opposite end of this I see where you are coming from. That sucks. There is no shame in being inspired by other people's room, just be sure to give credit where credit is do. Copying is a weird form of flattering ;)

groovydolly

You're room looks beyond great and you should be proud of it! However I really don't see any similarity between the two bar the fact you both used water and sand... a pretty common concept to be honest.

Lindsay

With all the tiki and sand items released, every sand&tiki room is going to look alike. I myself had the same idea (a sand castle type room with the same ppr flats, tiki trees, water carpets, and tiki items), I just didn't have the time/credits to dedicate to it. It's no doubt more people had the same idea aswell. The rooms look alike in that they are tiki and sandy, that's all really. Itt looks more like a tiki version of NikNik's "Blackbeard's Pirate Castle," which won bgr in may of 2014.

not gonna lie i see the similarities.. and poeple do in fact copy other's which is extremely sad. i have a friend whom had a friend made a room and someone copied theirs and won bgr. i still hate the way we do things for bgr but theyre not going to change any time soon.
sure she/you invited friends over to come see your new room :o but usually i dont let strangers in because of these reasons... i am very sorry to hear this though :(

Zelena

I see the similarities, but it looks like half the rooms from last month tbh. A lot of people used those exact items to make extremely similar rooms because it was very easy to use them in that manner. If it was exactly the same I would show more concern, but the only real similar thing I noticed was a sand wall with the sand castle turret and that gate thing (though it looks like you also used a firewall).

Stacysmom

I've got it going on
It does look like he probably breezed through your room at some point and thought you had a good idea and took from it. You have plenty of right to be upset that someone else got all the credit for a fun room that you thought of first but hey, that's life. :hat:

i disagree with everyone else as well. i feel that a lot of things look exactly the same. a big one is the tiki lounge chair w. the umbrella in the bottom right. i feel that if they copied (and not saying they are) they should have at least positioned the castle in a different corner than you.

BUT it is a game and people get ideas off of each other :) no big deal, just work on another room for next time.

The main point here is that some items only have a few places they can be used or rotated. All rooms are going to look similar if they use the same items
Like my room last month had sand, tiki lounges, palm trees, water and and dole whips too. It also had the same backdrop used! *gasp*

SilentCrow

Lol idk why I just remembered this. I don't think these rooms look similar at all, looking back. I do think my room was way cooler though. The ship going through the wall? come on now...