Best Rivalries in Sports

Fiyero

I'm a UNC fan so I can't help but have a bias for the Duke-UNC rivalry. The rivalry is particularly focused on their Men's College Basketball Teams, but takes place in all sports and academics. All the way since the first meeting of the two teams in 1920, Duke and Carolina have met twice a season (and more if they meet in the ACC Tournament). The two teams are frequently in the AP Top 25 rankings and Coaches Poll, they are in the Top 4 most winningest teams of all time, lead the ACC in ACC tournament wins, and constantly earn bids to the NCAA Tournament. UNC currently leads the series 133-105, Duke has the most ACC Tournament wins 19 - 17, UNC has the most ACC regular season wins 29 - 19, UNC has the most NCAA Tournament wins 5 - 4, and UNC has the most overall wins 2114 - 2o27. The numbers just show how close this rivalry is and how great it is to see these two teams battle it out. If you haven't seen a Duke-UNC basketball game before, I recommend you watch both this coming season. They play in Durham on the 18th of February and in Chapel Hill on the 7th of March. You will not miss out on some great basketball action.

In your opinion, what are the best rivalries in sports?

aceastrofan

The one and only...
Dodgers-Giants in baseball. It's one of those rivalries that divides families. Even though they play each other many times a season, every game is competitive and personal to the players. The rivalry has existed back in the early 1900's when each team played in New York. It carried on to California in 1958, and is still going strong. Tragically, people have been killed or seriously injured in the last 11 years over the pure hatred of the other team. Gang affiliations run through this rivalry, with unfortunate outcomes for each side. In lighter news, in the last few seasons, either the Giants or the Dodgers have won the NL West division. It's a really crazy rivalry.

Last edited:

QueenB

The University of Alabama, and Auburn University. Without a doubt. The Iron Bowl is always one of the best games of the season. The rivalry runs deep in Alabama, you basically have to pick one side or the other. Auburn beat Bama with one second left on the clock last year, and this year Alabama came back and defeated Auburn with the highest scoring Iron Bowl of all time. (55-44) It was one heck of a game. College football (SEC, if we're being specific) is sorta a religion around here.. I remember the very day I became an Alabama fan.. yep.

Yes, there are many more rivalries out there, but here is a list of a few of them that are presently active.

College Football: Texas v Oklahoma, UCLA v USC, Alabama v Auburn, Michigan v Ohio St, Stanford v Cal
NFL: Peyton vs Brady, Steelers v Ravens, Bears v Packers, Raiders v Chiefs
Soccer: Barca vs Real Madrid, Juventus v Fiorentina, Man U vs Liverpool, PSG v Marseille
College Basketball: UNC v Duke, Georgetown v Syracuse, Indiana v Kentucky, Kansas v Kansas St
NBA: Lakers v Celtics, Spurs v Suns, Bulls v Knicks
MLB: Yanks v Red Sox, Cubs v White Sox, Dodgers v Angels/Giants

and of course, the most important sport of all...
Water Polo: Hungary v Croatia, Serbia v Montenegro, USA v Australia , Spain v Italy

PrettyBlissfulSky

Stitch Enthusiast
Coming from someone who lives in New England and the Tri State Area, definitely the Yankees vs. Red Sox and the Patriots vs. Giants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philitup

The Internet Champion!
The Milwaukee Beers and the Dallas Felons... JK.

But in all honesty the biggest rivalry around here is the Packers versus the Bears, even though this year the Packers are far better.

Fiyero

They both are big rivalries. Currently Kentucky and Louisville. Historically Kentucky and Indiana.
I just think that rivalry is dead. I've heard almost nothing about it in years. I've heard more about Michigan State vs Indiana in basketball recently and that's supposed to be a football rivalry. You hear a lot more about Kentucky Louisville and that's definitely a pretty historical rivalry too

I just think that rivalry is dead. I've heard almost nothing about it in years. I've heard more about Michigan State vs Indiana in basketball recently and that's supposed to be a football rivalry. You hear a lot more about Kentucky Louisville and that's definitely a pretty historical rivalry too
I rivalry that big never dies lol. Perhaps you haven't heard much about it because they aren't scheduled to play each other annually since 2012, but there is a lot of influential people trying to repeal that and the teams definitely haven't lost their hostility towards one another at this point in time.

Last edited:

AlphaTheEdge

UHHHH. TBH. Steelers Ravens is consistently the NFLs best.
In baseball.. Giants Dodgers right now even tho the violence should end.
Bama vs Auburn is must see college football.
NBA who cares.
NHL.. Bruins Canadiens is always sasha fierce

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
Chicago Blackhawks vs The Detroit Cougars (Red Wings) has been a bitter rivalry since the twenties.

On a side note~

Just wanted to say congrats Chicago! =)

After getting completely screwed last year in the playoffs, you pulled it off.