Beware of the internet......

Exodus

Is it sad I had higher expectations for young teenagers these days than when I was one like 5 years ago? With the abundant of technology, how do you not first have a voice/video conversation before going out of your way to meet a friend from the online world? I don't get it :question:

Alamar

That's crazy. If you're going to meet someone in real life please tell other people and have them in the area just in case. Also video chatting before would help as well, but neutral locations are your friends. >.>

but omg wat disney site was it waaaaaaaat. that's crazy, this is why the internet scared me as a child
edit: im wondering if its club penguin but you get banned for so many things on that site omg

aceastrofan

The one and only...
[emoji54]

That isn't good. But how can you not think "Hey, let's use Skype, Twitter, FB, Snapchat or any other online social media to meet someone." Heck, FaceTime could also work.

I'm gonna guess Club Penguin was where they met.

Last edited:

acebatonfan

I don't know whether to be afraid or facepalm. I feel like it's common sense to not meet an online stranger in the real world without lots of google stalking/background checks, video chatting, and, if a person really wants to meet them, meeting in a public place where neutral people are around (think of a coffee shop, not an alleyway).

A friend of mine had an acquaintance who decided to meet a guy she met online. What she believed to be was 13-year old Johnny was 45-year old Joe. Thank god nothing bad happened to her, and she was able to quickly leave that situation without a huge altercation.

Exodus

I don't know whether to be afraid or facepalm. I feel like it's common sense to not meet an online stranger in the real world without lots of google stalking/background checks, video chatting, and, if a person really wants to meet them, meeting in a public place where neutral people are around (think of a coffee shop, not an alleyway).

A friend of mine had an acquaintance who decided to meet a guy she met online. What she believed to be was 13-year old Johnny was 45-year old Joe. Thank god nothing bad happened to her, and she was able to quickly leave that situation without a huge altercation.
Tbh, if I was her, I'd be bringing some pepper spray that's over 3 million SHU and have fun with that stuff, because, why not, y'know?

aliceblue

Is it sad I had higher expectations for young teenagers these days than when I was one like 5 years ago? With the abundant of technology, how do you not first have a voice/video conversation before going out of your way to meet a friend from the online world? I don't get it :question:
[emoji54]

That isn't good. But how can you not think "Hey, let's use Skype, Twitter, FB, Snapchat or any other online social media to meet someone." Heck, FaceTime could also work.
Online predators know exactly how to target susceptible minors, and go out of their way to gain their trust.

The downside to multiplayer games is how quickly they can break down personal barriers that are normally present in social situations, resulting in emotional attachment without any visual cues or body language to give safety feedback. Teens with low self-esteem are likely to make bad decisions in that state, even after seeing who their contact really is.

Yes, something like this can happen on any social site, but I think it's more likely to happen in an environment that encourages suspension of disbelief.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I'd like to know what site that was TBH. As said above, it was probably CP, I can't think of anything else. If it was I wouldn't be surprised though, the people on there are super creepy. But yeah, I just don't see why you would meet someone in real life if you knew they were a middle aged man, and if you didn't know that then you probably shouldn't even be meeting this person anyways.

For all of you saying how could you not video chat and stuff.. it seemed to me like she KNEW who he was.. the fact that she lied about her age and stuff was kinda sketchy.