Clone Policy Discussion

What would you like to see the clone policy be?

• No clones; only 1 main account

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Main account + 1 clone

Votes: 62 53.9%
  • Main account + 2 clones

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • No clone limit

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other (please reply to this thread with your suggestion)

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McQuack

The following words are mine and are adapted from a post made on another forum for another remake attempt I was a part of:

I'd also like to propose the question of whether anyone remembers or can reference what VMK's original clone policy was, because I'd like to think that reproducing the management style Disney employed in its version of the game would make the chances of this one's continued propsperity as high as possible.
VMK had no rules on cloning (back then it was called mules), but keep in mind that was in 2005-2008 when computers weren't exactly as powerful as they are now, so it was a pretty non-issue. VMK also had a lot less "giveaways" than this game does. Collect-a-thons weren't a thing, SITS pins were rarely changed and not really rare, and you had to P2P every game of pirates, so if you were to try playing friendly with yourself you'd eventually run out of credits. The biggest "trick" people did in VMK was make new accounts to sell the starter pack clothes and enter the few credit codes available. That racked up like... 3000 credits per account. And credit trades didn't exist so you'd be stuck with just buying a few pieces of furni and trading it. More effort than what it was worth unless you were really terrible at the game lol.

My biggest problem with having just one clone is that many people make clones for games/rooms that theyre hosting to better enhance the quality of the room. I have seen numerous people do this, and to an extent this would be solved if we had some sort of "Dummy" furnishing that could fill in the role. I myself enjoy seeing people use their clones in creative ways, as long as they are following all the myvmk rules

Last edited:

GuardGirl

Ace is the name, room recreation is the game.
I mean I don't see the unfairness because it's not like people are hacking into the game to be able to create clones. It's available for everyone. It was a little wild when there wasn't a limit to how many could be run at the same time but since that switched to only 2 at a time I don't think there's a problem. I use my clone for a couple different things: to run to a store if I forget something in the specials (especially inner space cause that's just a hassle when you're busy), riding for sits (though it's been a long time and I don't ride at all on my main), being interactive room accessories, and overall being discreet when I'm not in a talkative mood and don't want a ton of people to know it's me so I don't come off as rude by not talking or being short. I think coding the ai feat from pirates / making a 1v1 possible would eliminate some of the gaming "problems." I don't use my clone in games but I honestly wouldn't see a problem if anyone else did bc technically everyone could do it if it was allowed (but it's currently not, and so I don't) the same with pods. I don't see how it's cheating if everyone can do it. Botting for clones sits was cheating cause it required more extensive knowledge of technology than any normal person has and it required no effort to obtain things once it was done. I think as long as you're willing to put in double the effort (for sits/pods) you should be able to. Host events in my mind are different because there's a very small window to be able to get in and it's not cool if someone can get 2+ characters in and someone else can't get in at all. Nothing else has that small of a window/a queue to get in. Sits pods and games don't have a queue. Totally different.

I'd still like to know what the plan is for knowing the difference between 2 players in the same house vs clones bc there's so many people it would affect if they were all considered clones.

And this also brings into discussion the fact that some of us built some really awesome rooms that we're extremely proud of using a clone (or multiple clones') account(s). Would those rooms just be cleared? Would they not be accessed? Honestly, just ban clones from host events/mini games/special events (hide and seek, crates, etc), and i feel like a vast majority of the issues raised about clone accounts would be solved.

I didn't read every post here all the way through so forgive me if this was mentioned already. Some people use different computers to log a clone on and will say that a certain avi is not a clone if questioned. They will say it is their friend playing for them, or a spouse, or a kid, etc. There really is no way to control the clone aspect of the game especially when I saw tons of clones on during Dreams Month, and both main and a clone were in the same room. It is what it is

I didn't read every post here all the way through so forgive me if this was mentioned already. Some people use different computers to log a clone on and will say that a certain avi is not a clone if questioned. They will say it is their friend playing for them, or a spouse, or a kid, etc. There really is no way to control the clone aspect of the game especially when I saw tons of clones on during Dreams Month, and both main and a clone were in the same room. It is what it is
Back when I was part of the staff on another forum back around late 2012 / early 2013, we had a system which would require our users to request permission to have any additional accounts created under their IP address (and that's something that's incredibly easy to track). They would need to justify their request by saying something like "My brother wants to sign up as well". Yes, it was completely on the honours system, but perhaps implementing something similar on this game (assuming a one-account-per-person policy) might cut down on the number of clones.

Last edited:

VMK_Rapunzel

Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU to everyone who added to the discussion. PLEASE keep your ideas/suggestions coming! I just wanted to let you all know we're discussing this as a group in a call, as I'm typing this. We hear you, we hear your suggestions and concerns, and we're taking them into consideration! :halcyon:

MoitaRose

Bearded Dragon, Dog, & Beta Lover <3
So I'll openly admit I voted for no limit on clones. I voted this because I don't personally see the problem when it is an option for anyone to create clones. I have 3, 2 of which are for games/interactive rooms I or my friends have created and needed help with interactive characters. My other one is, like others have stated, my anti-social clone. It's my go to when I don't want to really interact or just quickly check the shop specials without getting stopped by anyone. I also use her to help build and keep track of my multi room builds so that I can stay sitting in the main room as MoitaRose but still know whats going on in the others and check to make sure things are running smoothly.

Personally, if the staff choose to limit to only one clone, they're going to need to come up with a way for people to implement these extra building characters or deal with people constantly requesting name changes for their one clone in order to change it with their builds.

I think limiting clones is not going ro fix all these complaints because there are still ways of unfair advantages. For example, in games, there have beem times where I didn't want to play but one of my sisters or friends did or vice versa, so I'd join their game and do nothing or the other way around for them to earn the credits or items they wanted. Same thing with pods/crates/ride-a-thons etc. I can plop my main, not even a clone in question, in a room so that my friends can round out a number needed. My sisters have done it for me. They log on and sit while they do other stuff on their computer while I collect items. Its essentially the same thing just with other people. Some people don't play this game to just be credit and item obsessed.

My feeling about Host events and clones goes completely back to the original VMK. Host events were massive and a lot of the time you didn't get in at all because of the time frame and giant queues. Even looking back to when I first started playing this game about 3 years ago, the queues were much bigger than they are now. An 80 person queue is nothing compared to a 200 or 300 person queue. There has also been a shift in the types of events due to player complaints which I think has also led to an issue with people feeling clones are the only reason they're not getting into Host events. People have forgotten that they complained not too long ago that tbe events were becoming boring and needed to be more exciting or something more than a teleporter game. With those changes that the staff made, came an issue of that games were going to take longer to complete and require more time to explain in order for everyone to make it through. This isn't clones fault, this is from people wanting more thrilling games. Yes, clones can take up queue space, I don't deny that but to say that clones are the reason thst queues don't move quicker is painting a broad stroke that isn't totally true.

I'll end this with just saying I do respect everyone's opinions here, including staff's. But I do stand by that limiting clones isn't going to fix all these problems people have, it'll just be a band-aid.

Wonder

I think using clone accounts for HOST events need to be banned. The queues are becoming massive again (almost at 200 last night!). I know awhile ago they implemented a time-delay where if you entered a queue on your IP and you tried entering on another account on the same IP you'd get a pop up saying you already entered within the last 2 minutes and I don't really know why that went away because it at least helped stop these people who enter their 10+ clones into the queue and ruin it for everyone else.

riddleguy

Based on the opinions/poll results so far i propose the following ruleset:
  • Everyone is allowed 1 clone account to use in public rooms for collection events/trading/SITs pins etc
  • No using clones for host events
  • People can use more then 1 clone account for their created guest rooms only
I think using clone accounts for HOST events need to be banned. The queues are becoming massive again (almost at 200 last night!). I know awhile ago they implemented a time-delay where if you entered a queue on your IP and you tried entering on another account on the same IP you'd get a pop up saying you already entered within the last 2 minutes and I don't really know why that went away because it at least helped stop these people who enter their 10+ clones into the queue and ruin it for everyone else.
I think this needs to be re-implented but make the time-delay 5 minutes.

KarolynD

Impacting lives everywhere
I find it very interesting that people talk about interactive guest rooms using clones because I haven't seen one of those in a long time....... Staff could always make an add on kind of like pets that allows you to have custom text appear when someone enters a room/ interacts when something is said.

People wanting to be anti social. I get not wanting to be bothered, but why get on the game at all then..... Just my opinion.
Staff could always make an option where you can log in but have you be the only one in game ( Kind of like your own personal server, but nothing is different than the normal game, just no other people running around ).

To me, my point still stands, I don't really see a need for clones.

I change my mind about limiting how many clones are logged on at the same time. If its not for an event or to play minigames ofc. Then really what is the big deal? For example, If someone wants to have 10 clones and just stand in FLC for absolutely no reason, I don't see anything wrong with that. If they are not bothering anyone or ruining the game for others then whats the problem with it? It might annoy some people but they should be free to enjoy the game how they want.

Whatever decision is made, I ask that you please go into detail to explain, so everyone is clear with why what is (or isn't) against the rules is has been decided that way.

an option where you can log in but have you be the only one in game ( Kind of like your own personal server, but nothing is different than the normal game, just no other people running around ).
You know, I have the vaguest of memories of such a concept being discussed back in the days of OpenVMK. To be more detailed, there were discussions from official sources (I forget who) about the idea of three servers. I might be incorrect about what they were going to be, but if I had to guess, I would say they were the main server (like the one we sign onto for everyday playing), the vanilla server (in which no changes you made were saved), and the personal server (like you describe).

Perhaps one of the staff could (in)validate what I'm saying, but I can see how multiple "slates" of the game could knock out a lot of reasons people justify clones. Alas, I imagine implementing the idea would be too costly right now. A possible solution might be charging players if they want to have their own server. I don't know how controversial that is, so I think feedback is quite welcome on this unlikely proposition.

Last edited:
So Im not the first to say I have used clones for events. It's terrible i would like to start off by saying i'm so sorry. Secondly this game has gone so far without any clones! I understand the Myvmk staff needing clones! But not really us. Unless its for storage uses! I don't want random items i have 20 of clogging up my inventory! But if they are mainly active during events... its a problem! Mini-games and i even have seen people still using multiple accounts for BB8 catching! It needs to stop. People have been cloning against the rules even after being told about a ban. Please this is to you the few people still breaking the rules, Stop :) xoxo, Brianaballarina

MoitaRose

Bearded Dragon, Dog, & Beta Lover <3
I find it very interesting that people talk about interactive guest rooms using clones because I haven't seen one of those in a long time....... Staff could always make an add on kind of like pets that allows you to have custom text appear when someone enters a room/ interacts when something is said.

People wanting to be anti social. I get not wanting to be bothered, but why get on the game at all then..... Just my opinion.
Staff could always make an option where you can log in but have you be the only one in game ( Kind of like your own personal server, but nothing is different than the normal game, just no other people running around ).

To me, my point still stands, I don't really see a need for clones.
To address your building concern very quickly, it takes A LONG time to coordinate building a room and have multiple people to play characters effectively, especially if you want it to function and look good (which it youre taking so long to build, you probably do).

In response to your solution of the clone when you dont want to interact with people, there's a difference between not wanting to have to constantly talk to your friends and wanting to still play games anonymously. I may want to still play pirates or ride ALR/PPR or room hop to check out things without the headache of people constantly stopping me to talk or something.

Overall, just because one person doesn't see or have a point to have a clone doesn't mean others don't. The decision needs to encompass taking all players views and thoughts into mind, not just one. I agree with @StargirlV that whatever is decided, it and the reasoning needs to be clearly explained and laid out because it can be a reason some people choose to limit how they play and if they play at all.

Genuinely, reading all of the opinions and reasoning behind clones has made me really think about it more. I agree with @StargirlV . I think as long as they aren't hurting anyone or taking up spots in the host events it shouldn't be a problem. I will say one thing however, the attitude towards our new players has been skewed by the clone topic. I joined in late December and a lot of people called me a clone of @morgan . At first I thought it was just because of our names and I happened to have chosen the same type of hair as her for my person. But after a week or two I realized that being a clone was seen as a bad thing. For me I didn't fully understand and took it a little too personally when people would joke about it, and that may sound stupid, but I admit it. I didn't understand what they were saying and took it the wrong way, feeling guilty for using my own name. This post isn't meant to start anything or anything of the sort. And @morgan is awesome! And most of you have really welcomed me and made me feel at home here. This post is to express how it feels and bring attention to another issue of the clone discussion. I know a lot of guests are clones but a lot aren't and want to make friends.

I have a clone I use to hide from people, but I only use it to make credits on mini games and I never use it while I'm on my main because it would just be unfair. (Although, I don't really go on my main anymore). I voted for main +1 account because with the queue always being so huge as of recently, I'd like the option of having two chances to possibly get in. This month, I was only able to get in the Jedi event once, because I clicked follow on my friend and somehow bypassed the entire queue otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do the event at all this month. I tried the second time the event happened, and I was still 80 in the queue once the hour ran up and the event was over. I get it, people want to win cool things - but don't ruin the fun for everyone else. At this point from what I've noticed, it's a few lucky people getting in randomly while other people are playing against themselves to win multiple times.