Closed

Do you support the decision to end double credits on the weekend?

• Yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PotatoBacon

Professional Netflixer
Hi, I feel your pain girl! I'm really sad that it's ending for the weekend. I wish they would keep it on the weekend but change the games, but I feel like it's for the best that it's throughout the week. I thought about a bunch of my friends that aren't able to do DC on the weekends because they have school at weird hours during the week and they work all day during the weekends. I feel like there are many people like this as well, maybe with other reasons. But if you think about it, it doesn't mean that there won't ever be DC on the weekends again. There will just be less of it. And plus, this would be a great way to get the populations up throughout the week!

Last edited:

Fix

Coolest Member
I was a bit upset at first, but I think it is a good thing ultimately. There are a ton of credits in the game and staff has already tried raising prices on shop items but it hasn't really helped a ton.

I hope with this new double credit rule, multi-player games will get more popular, like Haunted Mansion, Star Commander, or Sketchy. I wouldn't mind ditching pirates to play those games.

Horse

The game seems to have become very credit heavy and I'm sure it's partially due to double credits every weekend. I hope this change improves the current economy.

Zak

The subject of double credits and its various implementations have certainly become a passionate topic for many years around here.

I have been a serious hard core grinder of mini games for quite some time now. It is not uncommon to find myself in the pirates lobby grinding away for hours. In fact that has been exactly what I have been doing for a majority of my game play time for many months now. It's not necessarily the most fun thing to do. But for me it is the most effective way to earn credits and gain the ability to buy what I want in the game if I am willing to put the time and effort in. I am coming from the perspective of starting the game again with very little and having to basically grind credits to obtain anything of value I might seek. I also come with the philosophy that I am willing to put in the time and work to achieve long term goals.

I share this as a preface for my opinion regarding this topic. Double credits is a huge part of my game play and I certainly take that into consideration when reserving time to grind. I do not take this topic lightly at all. However my opinion is: I support the restructuring of double credits for a variety of reasons outlined below:

The biggest reason should be obvious to all of us and that being inflation. One cannot deny that spawning more credits into the game will always make this problem worse and will continue to negatively affect the economy. We currently do not have any credit sinks in place that help balance new credits earned in mini-games thus creating a problem where items will continue to gain value and credits will continue to lose value. Credit sinks are designed to remove a large enough amount of credits consistently without causing the value of things to change that drastically outside of the typical shift in demand and interest. The only credit sinks we currently have are items in the shop which are updated weekly but due to their short term nature they tend to be relatively affordable items for everyone.

There are no super expensive items or credit vacuums such as mystery boxes or consistent expenses (like ride or mini game costs) that encourage regular spending. So stating the obvious, without credit sinks to balance out the constant stream of new credits entering the game the economy will never recover. Credits are entering the game at a rate we can never hope to keep up with. The problem will never ease up in any real amount of time with what is available in the shop or added in short term intervals. So double credits only magnifies the problem by continuing to create a super large influx of credits with the consequence being items becoming more expensive as a result.

Reason two: There really is no other way to put it, the people who put in the most time and are able to put in the most effort will always benefit the most in any scenario. However in this particular scenario those people get much farther ahead and the unfortunate consequence is both new and casual players are put at a huge disadvantage unless they work even harder than those who already accumulated a fair amount of things. Otherwise they cannot hope or even try to keep up or catch up even. I do think there should be rare things in this game. I do not believe everyone should be able to obtain every item at any given time. There of course should be things someone should have to work for if they want, I have always believed this. I do however feel someone should be able to work hard over time to obtain a long term want, which ever that item happens to be.

When you have a scenario where credits continue to become less and less valuable the items as a result become more expensive. That can be quite discouraging to someone new starting this game. It can be quite discouraging to someone old coming back after a break. The conditions to keep up and catch up become less and less forgiving as time goes by. The less value credits have, the more value older items have and as a result everyone's inventory of things rises exponentially. Most older items do not often see re-releases except in rare cases. Things becoming more expensive do not help with inflation, it actually hurts newer players more because in order to get an older furniture item for instance it could take much more grinding through mini games than perhaps it did in years past. Not everyone has that kind of time nor does everyone want to put in that much more effort.

Reason three: Double credits creates a situation where people are conditioned to only play or only want to play during at a specific time where they benefit the most. I keep reading comments that many people mainly play the mini games during double credits. I honestly cannot blame them for that. From a logical standpoint why wouldn't you want to put in the least amount of time and gain the greatest rewards for that time? I know I make sure I make more of an effort to play during those times for those exact reasons. Do the same amount of work and get twice the rewards, sign me up! The problem with this scenario is other times become less appealing and as a result people avoid playing during normal credits days because the time is viewed as less valuable than that of weekends.

The game should promote that all times should be a great to play the mini games, especially the multiplayer mini games. We should try and discourage the mindset that you lose or miss out if you decide to play during week days. An environment where certain days become less valuable and less rewarding overall make it harder to find people to play during those less appealing times. I think it has nothing to do with schedules, host events are well attended at all times and on all days, I think it has everything to do with the mindset that during the week is twice the work and half the rewards. People psychologically tend to not want to do something when they know it will be less rewarding and much more work to obtain the same goal so why do it if they can just wait to do it at a specific time.

Reason four: Double credits are a treat from the game not an expectation. We are at a point where it is now expected that double credits are offered every weekend on-going indefinitely. I absolutely see the appeal of that and I myself have enjoyed that. But double credits were always meant to be a special addition and rare add-on. They are meant to draw excitement and encourage more game play. As I said above, however the norm should be established that these days should be saved for special occasions. The old saying goes if you give an inch they take a mile. I am by no means saying I am unappreciative of double credit days, I absolutely love them. But having them so frequently creates entitlement and undercuts the special treat these days are supposed to be. It used to be a big deal to have a double credits day. They should be used to enhance something we have planned not to become part of expected and regular game play.

Reason five: Hoarding of items. As I said above, when credits are plentiful, items become more rare. People have become accustomed to buying the items they want with credits rather than trading and as a result certain things have fallen out of existence. I do not blame any one person or one scenario for that. A lot of factors are at play for this situation. The end result however is some items released during various time periods are harder to track down. In some cases people who have those items no longer play. In other scenarios some people just keep their items because they are highly unlikely to be re-released and selling them for credits isn't a good idea when the value of credits falls and the value of items hoarded goes up. The best way to maintain wealth in this game is with items not credits. A lot of credits make it easy for players with a lot of time to buy what they want rather than trading items since credits are an unlimited resource. You can always earn more credits so why trade items when you can trade something easily replenished as long as you put the time in. The people who suffer from this reality are again new and returning players as well as players with less items and credits. When credits are easier to get, the draw to trade items goes down.

Reason six: Skill based mini games become more neglected. If one thing this past quest showed was just how out of practice people have become with Fireworks and Haunted Mansion. Double credits encourage people to take the easiest route to the fastest reward. Friendly capture or friendly ship battle are much easier to do long term and net a far greater short term reward for the time than the skill based games. Fireworks and Jungle Cruise are fun to play but you will spend more time and more effort and get less credits for that. Skill based games are more work and take skill to be able to score high enough to compete with friendly which tend to be brainless as far as skill and effort involved. You also will fatigue faster playing skill based games than you will friendly. I doubt this is the intended way for the mini games to be played, key inequality aside.

Reason seven: To a lesser extent credits being very easy to get also encourages the sale of credits on the black market. When credits are more plentiful and easier to get more people are able to easily accumulate credits to sell for real cash on places like Discord and Facebook. Personal opinions on that aside, double credits help make that problem much worse and more prevalent not better.

As far as implementation: There is going to be upset people because it’s an advantage enjoyed far longer than intended. There really is no good time to stop something that is widely loved and generally expected at this point. It never should have gotten to this point. Letting it become an expectation to the point people are upset it’s gone is why it has to be scaled back. I find the proposed compromise a fair way to ease back a bit and go back to how they were intended to be implemented. It wasn’t meant to be an entitlement it is a treat in the end.

One week notice is completely fair and people who benefit like myself are sure to be disappointed, it’s expected when you benefit from something like this, but it’s not about personal benefit it’s about the health of the game and the economy in the game. It is the game’s responsibility to do what’s best for the game, the community, and the economy, above personal advantage. I know this was a difficult decision and one sure to be met with passion but I feel the game made the correct choice.

In closing without credit sinks to counter the extra credits the problem will never get better with double credits being too frequent to where it’s an expectation rather than a treat from staff. So even though it effects me I still dissent with the popular opinion and agree with the new policy and the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:

SnoBun

Snob/Official Rilla Grandma
I honestly don't really have feelings about it as I am not a mini-game player BUT I just hope that price of ultra rare items don't continue to increase while the ability to obtain credits decreases...which I fear will be the case in the short run until the long run goal plays out.

Matty

knows a thing or two
The subject of double credits and its various implementations have certainly become a passionate topic for many years around here.

I have been a serious hard core grinder of mini games for quite some time now. It is not uncommon to find myself in the pirates lobby grinding away for hours. In fact that has been exactly what I have been doing for a majority of my game play time for many months now. It's not necessarily the most fun thing to do. But for me it is the most effective way to earn credits and gain the ability to buy what I want in the game if I am willing to put the time and effort in. I am coming from the perspective of starting the game again with very little and having to basically grind credits to obtain anything of value I might seek. I also come with the philosophy that I am willing to put in the time and work to achieve long term goals.

I share this as a preface for my opinion regarding this topic. Double credits is a huge part of my game play and I certainly take that into consideration when reserving time to grind. I do not take this topic lightly at all. However my opinion is: I support the restructuring of double credits for a variety of reasons outlined below:

The biggest reason should be obvious to all of us and that being inflation. One cannot deny that spawning more credits into the game will always make this problem worse and will continue to negatively affect the economy. We currently do not have any credit sinks in place that help balance new credits earned in mini-games thus creating a problem where items will continue to gain value and credits will continue to lose value. Credit sinks are designed to remove a large enough amount of credits consistently without causing the value of things to change that drastically outside of the typical shift in demand and interest. The only credit sinks we currently have are items in the shop which are updated weekly but due to their short term nature they tend to be relatively affordable items for everyone.

There are no super expensive items or credit vacuums such as mystery boxes or consistent expenses (like ride or mini game costs) that encourage regular spending. So stating the obvious, without credit sinks to balance out the constant stream of new credits entering the game the economy will never recover. Credits are entering the game at a rate we can never hope to keep up with. The problem will never ease up in any real amount of time with what is available in the shop or added in short term intervals. So double credits only magnifies the problem by continuing to create a super large influx of credits with the consequence being items becoming more expensive as a result.

Reason two: There really is no other way to put it, the people who put the most time and are able to put in the most effort will always benefit the most in any scenario. However in this particular scenario those people get much farther ahead and the unfortunate consequence is both new and casual players are put at a huge disadvantage unless they work even harder than those who already accumulated a fair amount of things. Otherwise they cannot hope or even try to keep up or catch up even. I do think there should be rare things in this game. I do not believe everyone should be able to obtain every item at any given time. There of course should be things someone should have to work for if they want, I have always believed this. I do however feel someone should be able to work hard over time to obtain a long term want, which ever that item happens to be.

When you have a scenario where credits continue to become less and less valuable the items as a result become more expensive. That can be quite discouraging to someone new starting this game. It can be quite discouraging to someone old coming back after a break. The conditions to keep up and catch up become less and less forgiving as time goes by. The less value credits have, the more value older items have and as a result everyone's inventory of things rises exponentially. Most older items do not often see re-releases except in rare cases. Things becoming more expensive do not help with inflation, it actually hurts newer players more because in order to get an older furniture item for instance it could take much more grinding through mini games than perhaps it did in years past. Not everyone has that kind of time nor does everyone want to put in that much more effort.

Reason three: Double credits creates a situation where people are conditioned to only play or only want to play during at a specific time where they benefit the most. I keep reading comments that many people mainly play the mini games during double credits. I honestly cannot blame them for that. From a logical standpoint why wouldn't you want to put in the least amount of time and gain the greatest rewards for that time? I know I make sure I make more of an effort to play during those times for those exact reasons. Do the same amount of work and get twice the rewards, sign me up! The problem with this scenario is other times become less appealing and as a result people avoid playing during normal credits days because the time is viewed as less valuable than that of weekends.

The game should promote that all times should be a great to play the mini games, especially the multiplayer mini games. We should try and discourage the mindset that you lose or miss out if you decide to play during week days. An environment where certain days become less valuable and less rewarding overall make it harder to find people to play during those less appealing times. I think it has nothing to do with schedules, host events are well attended at all times and on all days, I think it has everything to do with the mindset that during the week is twice the work and half the rewards. People psychologically tend to not want to do something when they know it will be less rewarding and much more work to obtain the same goal so why do it if they can just wait to do it at a specific time.

Reason four: Double credits are a treat from the game not an expectation. We are at a point where it is now expected that double credits are offered every weekend on-going indefinitely. I absolutely see the appeal of that and I myself have enjoyed that. But double credits were always meant to be a special addition and rare add-on. They are meant to draw excitement and encourage more game play. As I said above, however the norm should be established that these days should be saved for special occasions. The old saying goes if you give an inch they take a mile. I am by no means saying I am unappreciative of double credit days, I absolutely love them. But having them so frequently creates entitlement and undercuts the special treat these days are supposed to be. It used to be a big deal to have a double credits day. They should be used to enhance something we have planned not to become part of expected and regular game play.

Reason five: Hoarding of items. As I said above, when credits are plentiful items become more rare. People have become accustomed to buy their items they want with credits rather than trading and a result certain things have fallen out of existence. I do not blame any one person or one scenario for that. A lot of factors are at play for this situation. The end result however is some items released during various time periods are harder to track down. In some cases people who have those items no longer play. In other scenarios some people just keep their items because they are highly unlikely to be re-released and selling them for credits isn't a good idea when the value of credits falls and the value of items hoarded goes up. The best way to maintain wealth in this game is with items not credits. A lot of credits make it easy for players with a lot of time to buy what they want rather than trading items since credits are an unlimited resource. You can always earn more credits so why trade items when you can trade something easily replenished as long as you put the time in. The people who suffer from this reality are again new and returning players as well as players with less items and credits. When credits are easier to get, the draw to trade items goes down.

Reason six: Skill based mini games become more neglected. If one thing this past quest showed was just how out of practice people have become with Fireworks and Haunted Mansion. Double credits encourage people to take the easiest route to the fastest reward. Friendly capture or friendly ship battle are much easier to do long term and net a far greater short term reward for the time than the skill based games. Fireworks and Jungle Cruise are fun to play but you will spend more time and more effort and get less credits for that. Skill based games are more work and take skill to be able to score high enough to compete with friendly which tend to be brainless as far as skill and effort involved. You also will fatigue faster playing skill based games than you will friendly. I doubt this is the intended way for the mini games to be played, key inequality aside.

Reason seven: To a lesser extent credits being very easy to get also encourages the sale of credits on the black market. When credits are more plentiful and easier to get more people are able to easily accumulate credits to sell for real cash on places like Discord and Facebook. Personal opinions on that aside, double credits help make that problem much worse and more prevalent not better.

As far as implementation: There is going to be upset people because it’s an advantage enjoyed far longer than intended. There really is no good time to stop something that is widely loved and generally expected at this point. It never should have gotten to this point. Letting it become an expectation to the point people are upset it’s gone is why it has to be scaled back. I find the proposed compromise a fair way to ease back a bit and go back to how they were intended to be implemented. It wasn’t meant to be an entitlement it is a treat in the end.

One week notice is completely fair and people who benefit like myself are sure to be disappointed, it’s expected when you benefit from something like this, but it’s not about personal benefit it’s about the health of the game and the economy in the game. It is the game’s responsibility to do what’s best for the game, the community, and the economy, above personal advantage. I know this was a difficult decision and one sure to be met with passion but I feel the game made the correct choice.

In closing without credit sinks to counter the extra credits the problem will never get better with double credits being too frequent to where it’s an expectation rather than a treat from staff. So even though it effects me I still dissent with the popular opinion and agree with the new policy and the reasoning behind it.
It's great to at long last see a member of the team, acknowledge and comment on some of these issues, unofficially or not. Well said and reasoned.