"Do you even have a life?"

Bimbette

Your #1 Bimb
I'm sorry but I hate this statement. Whenever I say something like "I've never been to a concert" or "I've never had sushi" people always say this. And honestly, I hate it because people need to realize how classist it is, because I cannot afford these luxuries. Like do you want me to apologize for not being able to pay for these things? I'm curious about what you people think.

Whispered

I think the problem is more how people assume that their life is the only one worth living. It's not that people don't realize that things cost money/are hard to obtain for some, it's that they are so engrained in today's society of partying, drinking, etc. once you hit 16 that you can't have any life without concerts, drugs, sex, etc.

Not everyone's like this, and it occurs to me that they tend to be the ones who truly experience life.

It seems to me people just need to be considerate of others when they say this phrase. Sure, they might just be joking, but it can still hurt someones feelings when you imply they are less than another because they haven't participated in whatever the topic is.

It's a very dramatic overreaction by those people to say you have no life because you don't do certain things.
The only concerts I've gone to have been free, and the sushi I've had has been cheap. I tried some at a cheap Asian buffet, and it's just not my thing. I like my fish cooked. I'm not even going to talk about the $1 sushi place near a college that my friends went to and then got food poisoning.
There are so many things you can do that don't cost a lot like going to a park or hiking. Don't let other people get ya down because they consider having a life to mean living a life of luxury.

People say this without really taking other things into consideration. I know it's easy to say if you don't really know the person and their financial circumstances - taking into account that they can't afford to splurge money on being more socially active. I don't take it into offense even if this were directed at me though yes people are quick to judge sometimes. I rather be a saver right now, spend as less on extra expenses as possible because I only make minimum wage atm lol

It is hard making friends with people who are financially better off who don't necessarily understand that I can't afford to spend money going out for lunch or dinner often or to social events at a high cost which I'd need a long time to save for. It's hard when they want to go out to expensive restaurants, and I'd have to decline the invite. Not that I'm cheap, just that I need to allocate as much of the funds I do have towards school and savings. In the end, it's easier making friends with people who share the same financial situation who just understand socializing at a lower cost and stuff but yeah.

Sushi costs $3 or so for a roll depending on what you got.
Concerts can be anywhere between 20-___ dollars.

People also say this with a fun tone to it, not actually wondering if you are a 60 year old woman with 8 cats playing VMK all day.

Whispered

I have no problem with it being said jokingly between friends, but when someone I don't know is implying I'm lifeless because I don't (whatever) then I don't appreciate it.

Beyonceism

Queen Nicki Dominant
I don't think it's necessarily a "dramatic" response. It's a phrase that we've adopted into our every day speech. Like many other phrases. It's kind of like saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes. It's an automatic response from hearing it from other people. It's just something we say. I don't think it's meant to be offensive. And it's definitely not classist.

...are you kidding me right now? Grilled cheezus. Why is EVERYTHING offensive in one way or another?! You do realize that it has basically become societal norm to have such phrases in our modernized vernacular, right? Most people do not harbor malicious intent in one of the most commonly used sayings. People need to get over themselves and stop getting offended in such ridiculous ways.

...are you kidding me right now? Grilled cheezus. Why is EVERYTHING offensive in one way or another?! You do realize that it has basically become societal norm to have such phrases in our modernized vernacular, right? Most people do not harbor malicious intent in one of the most commonly used sayings. People need to get over themselves and stop getting offended in such ridiculous ways.
THANK YOU!!! YESS!!! I am so over people whining about the tiniest things like grow up