Event Feedback: Geri's Game

So, Geri's game is a game of checkers, right? But the way the event is organized, or at least how it was today, was a very nonstandard game where forward movement is allowed, which made it a bit confusing.
This is how a game of checkers is typically set up and played: [link]
Also, I feel like the x- and y-axes need to be set up like an actual graph (with the x-axis on the bottom) to clarify. I tried to use that as a way to move the checkers, but I mixed up the x- and y-axes since they're set up like that haha!
I think having a set like... command phrase would be good. Like "Move (x,y) to (x,y), please!" Just to have some consistency so both the hosts and the players are a bit less confused! That way, the game can go quicker and more people can participate!
Just me being a perfectionist of sorts, of course... :P I grew up playing checkers at Crackerr Barrel with my best friend all the time, so I got pretty accustomed to the game rules and was really confused with how it was played tonight! xD

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very confused about the allowed movements too, fairly nontraditional. I agree with all of this and I feel like it would help move the game faster

airham

So I got into the Geri's Game event for the first time today. It's a really cool idea, in theory. In practice, it's a mess. It can take upwards of 2 minutes to make one move, and no one knows what to do because the instructions are a complete hackjob. Nothing about them makes any sense at all. Here's how to fix it:

1. Shorten the instructions. The game really isn't that complex. They pretty much just need to say:

"Move one of your team's pieces one space forward or one space diagonal. If you are in position to "jump" one of your opponent's pieces, then you may move two spaces to complete the jump. You win the game when one of your team's pieces reaches the other side of the board, or when your team has jumped all of your opponent's pieces."

Deleting all of the current instructions (including the room description, which currently gives completely incorrect and confusing information) and pasting that in its place would make the game run 100% smoother, right off the bat.

2. The coordinates are confusing because both the x and the y axis are labeled 1-5. If you labeled one of the axes with A-E, instead, it would greatly cut down on the confusion. People could actually give understandable coordinates of the piece they want to move and where they would like to move it, and the order of the coordinates wouldn't matter because (E, 4) is the same as (4, E). No-brainer fix.

Boom. Done. Legitimately I think the queue could move 2-3 times as quickly if those changes were made, and the games would be more interesting and competitive because people would actually understand what they're supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

SnoBun

Snob/Official Rilla Grandma
Also I never heard if my team won or lost? It was my understanding that I didn't have to stay in the "blue room" and so I left after moving my piece. About 20 minutes went by, the notice came up saying the event ended and all prizes had been given out--but I received nothing in terms of prize or a message regarding my team.

Was this a sign that my team lost? It just felt confusing because there was no consolation prize (which is fine--just has been one for most other events) so I felt like my game had glitched or something?