Fixing the MyVMK Economy

riddleguy

This has been discussed numerous times. With the same exact ideas in mind. Yet nothing will most likely be done.

The idea of a new form of currency has also been suggested. They began working on it with the newly released Buzz game but I do not think they are doing anything further.
Hopefully now that the community is being vocal about this. the staff will do start to do something about the economy or at the very least,bring quest kiosks back and more perm quests into the game. It might take time,I'm confident the staff can come up with a solution for the economy just like they come up with a clone use policy.

As for the buzz game, they should release the currency and prizes for us to buy with it.I can see this being a great way to make the stitch hat more obtainable.

Also a potential middle ground might be only lowering the value of og items and the more generic items like the wedding stuff and the pandora items. Also remember that there are some items that can't be re-released due to the artists request so those would have to stay rare.

Last edited:
I might be the only one but I don't think the economy is as bad as everyone else thinks. Imo obtaining items is soooo much easier despite the superrr high prices. Some things were a fraction of the price yet it felt like I didn't have much of a chance obtaining them; as of now even a new player can FARM as much as they wish and get what they want in a few months or sooner if they are loco for it . So I'm pro farming :)
I know as a new player having to farm for such high amounts can seem crazy unfair but that's bc they don't remember or know what it was like to be new to Myvmk before double credit weekends and credit trades, you literally had nothing and had to trade what ever nice item you were LUCKY enough to win - if you were unlucky oh well.. And even then prices didn't match up if you had 0 firewalls. I personally didn't care bc most the community had common items and it was just whatever :)... and then there was the "virtually rich" minority being virtually rich doing virtually rich stuff... Lol (also hoarding their 1000 firewalls - I remember it felt like there used to be many people on the forums complaining about the hoarding back then).

One issue to me is the hoarded items on unused accounts meaning people can't get items they love bc finding someone selling it feels impossible!

*also in terms of re-releasing items in shops... I would love for this to happen and see how the community acts bc some people only want rare items bc they are rare (not everyone ofc, some of us just love some items and would love to have them and use them!) but once items drop in value, many seem to no longer care about said items. But I still support it! Put everything back in shops!! It's great for new players - and especially for building! Forget about the rarity all together!!!!!! :awright:

Matty

knows a thing or two
Some very interesting takes on a subject that affects everyone who plays, from Day 1 players to the guest who just landed in the Esplanade. And it's a topic I've had the chance to discuss with friends on many occasions. I think we can all agree that there are a number of factors as to why the price of some items are so astronomically high. However, we tend to overlook the simplest reason behind it: the excess credits are there to do so.

Hundreds of thousands of credits are added to the game on a daily basis. Which in theory is great, I mean hey, everyone loves earning credits. However, there are only a finite number of places where all those fresh, new credits can go. They can be used to purchase items in shops, or they can be used to purchase items directly from other players. And herein lies the problem, with credits continually being added to the game, there needs to be a credit sink in place to pull an equal or near equal amount of credits out of the game. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to achieve this balance with the way in which new releases are currently sold. Players buy new releases in varying amounts, and I'd wager that most still have a surplus of credits earned over the course of a week than what they've spent on said new releases. The surplus of credits adds up. Players can then attempt to purchase items directly from other players, be it auction, trade room, are coming together on the price of an item through the forum. The supply and demand of items and the continued devaluation of credits drive the prices up, up, and up. Credits shift from one player to another, but they aren't pulled out of the game.

There are, in my opinion, a few ways to address this issue, none of which will be popular, but it doesn't mean they aren't needed in order to alter the trajectory of the game in terms of its "economy":

1. Abolish or limit friendly pirates. The amount of credits continually dumped into the game through this exploitation is absolutely abhorrent. Players will spin it every which way they can, but it's gaming the system for credits and keys, plain and simple. Farming credits and putting players who earn their credits by legitimate means at a competitive disadvantage in acquiring items.

2. Tax credit trades. Taxes?? Eww!! Few will remember, but there was a tax in place on the trading of gift cards during the early days of the game. Personally, I thought it was brilliant. The same could be applied to credit trades, as more measures need to be put in place to remove credits from the game.

3. Raise the prices of new releases. Harping on it, but credits need to be expunged from the game. Pay more upfront for items now, or continue paying even more for previous items on the back end, through trade. All due to the existing glut of credits in game which allow players to offer more.

4. Sell some very high credit items. I'm talking 500k, 1 mil, 2 mil. Granted, this does nothing to help new or less credit fortunate players in the short term. However, long term, by removing credits, there would be less credits in play to drive the prices up on items on the whole.

5. Sell mystery crates with the possibility of ultra rare (new and/or previous) items. Essentially lottery tickets. Sell them at different price points (5k, 25k, 100k, etc.) with either different prizes and/or possibly different odds. Add new and/or previous ultras while, yes, you got it, removing credits from the game.

That's all I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read. Comments or differing views always welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:

Fruits

5. Sell mystery crates with the possibility of ultra rare (new and/or previous) items. Essentially lottery tickets. Sell them at different price points (5k, 25k, 100k, etc.) with either different prizes and/or possibly different odds. Add new and/or previous ultras while, yes, you got it, removing credits from the game.
This.... if the staff were to take anything away from this thread. This is an excellent idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1533528312][/DOUBLEPOST]I am taking this from my good friend, McQuack.

I don't necessarily think credit trades were the issue, before the feature existed there were gift cards (an item that had a 10,000 credit value) and the economy wasn't changed significantly at all. Even in the original game, traders frequently traded credits using Quest Kiosks, which barely had any effect on the overall economy.

I'm not a big trader so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt, I just always had an interest in item values and where the current market was going. I think there was a combination of issues that led to the economy being to where it is now. For one, I agree that double credits every weekend really led to the big inflation that the game has now. Include that with the way POTC is being exploited with the abundance of friendly games, it makes the overall value and worth of credits really subjective now.

Someone brought up how firewalls were used as currency back then and that brings up a good point about how and why it worked. Unlike credits, items like firewalls were retired from the game, there was only a specific number of them that existed in the market and they had a specific set value created by the community (I can't remember, was it 40k?). This worked well because the value almost always stayed the same, and because there was a set number of them in existence and they were rarely re-released, it made for a stable currency to base the economy. Unfortunately the same can't be said for credits, there's always more credits being put into the game and it's very easy to grind and hoard them.

That said, the others are right and it's really too late to go back to the old way. I hate double credits but even if it was taken away at this point, I don't see any change happening considering it was going on every weekend for the past (2? 3?) years. I think the best choice of action is to try and create a new item/currency/thingamajig that worked the way Firewalls did - distribute a set number of them in game, have them be heavily controlled, and it can't be something that can be farmed or obtained easily. Most games these days seem to have a main currency that can be earned easily and a premium currency that is heavily controlled (usually because you need to buy with $$$ but in this case it just needs to be heavily controlled and be given out sparingly). That's what I think would benefit the economy here. Would just take some work and careful planning.

Last edited:

riddleguy

Some very interesting takes on a subject that affects everyone who plays, from Day 1 players to the guest who just landed in the Esplanade. And it's a topic I've had the chance to discuss with friends on many occasions. I think we can all agree that there are a number of factors as to why the price of some items are so astronomically high. However, we tend to overlook the simplest reason behind it: the excess credits are there to do so.

Hundreds of thousands of credits are added to the game on a daily basis. Which in theory is great, I mean hey, everyone loves earning credits. However, there are only a finite number of places where all those fresh, new credits can go. They can be used to purchase items in shops, or they can be used to purchase items directly from other players. And herein lies the problem, with credits continually being added to the game, there needs to be a credit sync in place to pull an equal or near equal amount of credits out of the game. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to achieve this balance with the way in which new releases are currently sold. Players buy new releases in varying amounts, and I'd wager that most still have a surplus of credits earned over the course of a week than what they've spent on said new releases. The surplus of credits adds up. Players can then attempt to purchase items directly from other players, be it auction, trade room, are coming together on the price of an item through the forum. The supply and demand of items and the continued devaluation of credits drive the prices up, up, and up. Credits shift from player to another, but they aren't pulled out of the game.

There are, in my opinion, a few ways to address this issue, none of which will be popular, but it doesn't mean they aren't needed in order to alter the trajectory of the game in terms of its "economy":

1. Abolish or limit friendly pirates. The amount of credits continually dumped into the game through this exploitation is absolutely abhorrent. Players will spin it every which way they can, but it's gaming the system for credits and keys, plain and simple. Farming credits and putting players who earn their credits by legitimate means at a competitive disadvantage in acquiring items.

2. Tax credit trades. Taxes?? Eww!! Few will remember, but there was a tax in place on the trading of gift cards during the early days of the game. Personally, I thought it was brilliant. The same could be applied to credit trades, as more measures need to be put in place to remove credits from the game.

3. Raise the prices of new releases. Harping on it, but credits need to be expunged from the game. Pay more upfront for items now, or continue paying even more for previous items on the back end, through trade. All due to the existing glut of credits in game which allow players to offer more.

4. Sell some very high credit items. I'm talking 500k, 1 mil, 2 mil. Granted, this does nothing to help new or less credit fortunate players in the short term. However, long term, by removing credits, there would be less credits in play to drive the prices up on items on the whole.

That's all I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read. Comments or differing views always welcomed and appreciated.
I agree 100% we could use some money sinks and fully support ideas 4,5, and 2. 1 is a bad idea IMHO no matter how you slice it.

Oh hey staff is reading the thread, what do you know lol.

But anyways yeah even if you wanted to limit or ban friendlies there is no real way to ban it unless you ban potc altogether, cause lets say you turn off Capture the Flag, they'll just do friendly ship battles then, ban ship battles and you just banned multiplayer and you basically banned potc either way. If potc is banned everyone will just move to HM and do friendlies there, ban HM and then rip now you got no friendly games but also no multiplayer games, unless you do friendly fireworks and thats not a thing so lol.

Taxes yes absolutely is needed, part of me disagrees cause taxation is theft lolol, but it'll work to rebalance the inflation of credits. But obviously not something ridiculous, maybe 5-10% tax in my opinion.

The lottery/mystery crates sound good but comparing them to the odds seen from crates of the past is bad, and essentially it'll become a pay to win. Doing the math your odds of getting any type of clothing from the marvel crates was less than one percent. More specifically 0.3% crunching numbers from another player who opened 1000 crates (This is all guesstimation on my part btw, odds could be slightly better or worse). So unless staff posted the actual percentage I wouldn't take part in a lottery cause I am known for having bad luck.

If they sell high credit items it should rereleases, but yeah good idea tho for players to sink credits saved up for something that they actually want to spend credits on.

Double credit weekends were a major factor to blame in the credit inflation, so for the time being don't have them as often as before where it was every weekend for like a few months iirc? Have them like maybe once in a blue moon, like with hide and seek it's just randomly announced so do that maybe.

I don't think adding another currency will fix the game cause we already have one broken currency and it'll just become two broken currencies. Like lets (For my point) refer to it as NC (New credits) then players will just find a way to make X amount of credits equal a NC, then it'll be like a conversion of like 10k credits = 100 NC , Then players will be like "Oh okay, farming NC is a good way to get credits" and then inflation happens again and the NC is just more or less the same as old credits.

Last edited:
Oh god the taxes.... Having flashbacks over them lol.

I agree with everyone's standpoint (maybe not the auctions, i have no preference). As a Day 1 player and occasional returning player, it's still hard to get items I want. Star, you got very luck with your items I guess or you may got some deals idk. I'm still looking for some very small items for... at least 2 months now and it's been difficult. No one wants to trade it unless I'm willing to over offer on it and it really sucks. It's painful and quite greedy on the other end of the trade. Yeah I did offer this insane amount but I shouldn't have to in the first place to get my item. No one should have to over offer on small items (maybe max worth 15k, depending on persons).

Star, you got very luck with your items I guess or you may got some deals idk. I'm still looking for some very small items for... at least 2 months now and it's been difficult. No one wants to trade it unless I'm willing to over offer on it and it really sucks. It's painful and quite greedy
No no, I too have to over offer or pay loads for items and it's annoying :( but my point is that at least now everyone can farm to get the credits to give to these over-the-top prices. Before on the forums people were always complaining the "GREEDY" players that would make everyone offer an arm and leg for everythinggg back then too! I even remember seeing posts of people quiting due to that - as well as the extreme gap between the haves and the have nots on the game. And I remember seeing people pressing staff to do something about it.

I think i'm talking about mostly 2014 - that's how I remember the game before I left and returned. Maybe others feel differently but that's my experience of the game before. When I returned (as someone who was a have not in the past) I was surprised at how much easier it was to participate in the trading economy than before. I mean the prices were shocking but if I reallyy want something I can work towards it with much more ease.

But like i said, I do agree that it's very hard to find people selling items that are older (if that's what you're looking for?) and idk if that's bc most of them are on old unused accounts or what but I agree that it's annoying.

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
Hi hello, your friendly neighborhood lioness here.. I'd like to chime in on this topic as well lol.
I agree this economy is.. not what it should be. It's not awful but it's also not great. Its very excessive.
I'm typically the one who does releases so I've personally done little, gradual things to help get some credits out of the game such as upping the prices of certian things. Room pins, depending on complexity, will always be at least 10k. Same for magics, depending on complexity, 10k. Pet bases, which we plan to have more of, with different features, will always be at least 50k. "One day only" sales usually have higher prices as well. It's a subtle change but I doubt anyone would like to see the economy changed in the blink of an eye. So small steps.. Amy will get the Quest Kiosks working in order eventually. It's a big task, tbh but I know people miss them and I think they'd help a fair bit along with more permanent quests like few have mentioned!
I believe Matty mentioned taxes.. I hated these as a player cause I always questioned why? What are we funding with these taxes? LOL! But now I understand why it was done. I wouldn't be opposed to adding taxes back. Not a huge percent but enough to make a dent in all these credits.
Star commander is planned to have its own form of new currency with exclusive items that you can only get from that shop with that currency. However this has recently been put on the backburner simply because creating a new minigame isn't easy and requires a lot of trial and error before any payout is implemented. So thank you for the patience with that.
Currently, treasure detector has several rare items you can get from them. Including but not limited to a stitch hat, angel hat, and 1* treasure detector. So there are ways to get very sought after items without just rereleasing them in shop for an ungodly amount of credits, because you know the new players wont have that. So treasure detector is perfect for that and its permanent!
Someone mentioned less double credits, and not specific to weekends. I love this because I, too, hate seeing the lobbies empty on any other day. So I like the idea of randomized days of double credits. Maybe even certain days specific to certain minigames. Say.. Wednesday being double credits for Haunted Mansion, Friday for Pirates, Sunday for Jungle Cruise, and so on.
Theres a lot more I can add to this, so I'll edit as I think of it. But keep these ideas coming because we do like to hear it and it does help!

Nala :halcyon::paw:

It would encourage people to play other minigames, as well.

but why do we have to be encouraged to play other games when we dont like them. People who find them fun will play them anyway. Everyone else is just playing it for credits and not for enjoyment, and most people choose potc bc we can play a game we dont enjoy with much more ease for long periods of time and on the weekend when most people have more time.

Gianorail

Disney Enthusiast

but why do we have to be encouraged to play other games when we dont like them. People who find them fun will play them anyway. Everyone else is just playing it for credits and not for enjoyment, and most people choose potc bc we can play a game we dont enjoy with much more ease for long periods of time and on the weekend when most people have more time.
But that's part of the problem. The minigames are exactly that- games. Their sole purpose is not for farming credits and some of them actually can be fun when you find people to actually play with you.

But th:shrug:at's part of the problem. The minigames are exactly that- games. Their sole purpose is not for farming credits and some of them actually can be fun when you find people to actually play with you.
but its not fun for everyone:(. i NEVER played potc, not even on the original bc i hated it. I dont like HM much but can play it and find some enjoyment in it but only for a short amount of time - maybe 30mins then it is no longer fun for me. In the past it felt like I was stuck playing JC non-stop and I never enjoyed a single second of it but thats just bc it's not my kind of game - but I needed credits so I played it anyway as it was the most convenient. Then I found out about friendlies (i never noticed them before) and at least i can play with much more ease and also talk to other players whilst farming credits happily. I will never really have fun playing any of the current minigames, they just dont spark any enjoyment in me and I cant be the ONLY player that feels that way. - However... i might be :shrug:

Last edited:

Gianorail

Disney Enthusiast
but its not fun for everyone:(. i NEVER played potc, not even on the original bc i hated it. I dont like HM much but can play it and find some enjoyment in it but only for a short amount of time - maybe 30mins the it is no longer fun for me. In the past it felt like I was stuck playing JC non-stop and I never enjoyed a single second of it but thats just bc it's not my kind of game - but I needed credits so I played it anyway as it was the most convenient. Then I found out about friendlies (i never noticed them before) and at least i can play with much more ease and also talk to other players whilst farming credits happily. I will never really have fun playing any of the current minigames, they just dont spark any enjoyment in me and I cant be the ONLY player that feels that way. - However... i might be :shrug:
I completely see where you're coming from too, even though I actually enjoy the games it goes without saying they can get very tedious. That's why I do like they are trying to implement new games however.

@HOST_Nala I keep seeing the mentions of treasure detecter magic, as if it's still going on, but I don't know how these are distributed?
I know for.. april/may they were handing out for host events... So, is this magic still being handed out, or did people just simply hoarded them up? (i'm sorry if this off topic too, I'm just curious of this and it is a great way to distribute old items as you mentioned)

Edit: also I love HM but no one wants to play! I know potc is so much easier to farm but I love my 2k reward from HM ;) If these games were implemented on certain days, maybe they can be changed every month? Some people have work so they may miss a day to play a specific game they like.

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
@HOST_Nala I keep seeing the mentions of treasure detecter magic, as if it's still going on, but I don't know how these are distributed?
I know for.. april/may they were handing out for host events... So, is this magic still being handed out, or did people just simply hoarded them up? (i'm sorry if this off topic too, I'm just curious of this and it is a great way to distribute old items as you mentioned)

Edit: also I love HM but no one wants to play! I know potc is so much easier to farm but I love my 2k reward from HM ;) If these games were implemented on certain days, maybe they can be changed every month? Some people have work so they may miss a day to play a specific game they like.
You can get them from HOST events and sometimes during popup events like trivia, quests or welcome parties!