Fixing the MyVMK Economy

"I think friendly POTC should be banned. The only time people play pirates is now is when it's friendly, and unless your part of said players cliques they just kick you out of their match."

Friendly ban:
THANNNNKKK YOU! So many people are against this idea, so I feel like the unpopular opinion never gets heard. Friendly games are for solely farming credits. It's great that people get to socialize in them, but the entire game is meant for socializing, and you can socialize in an actual potc game. Not to mention, sometimes I'll be standing in the lobby for an hour waiting to play an actual game of potc while endless amounts of friendly groups go through.
I know a lot of people are against this, because its the easiest way for them to make money, but it harms the economy in the long run. The amount of credits that it brings into the game is only making inflation worse. In the long run its hindering these players from being able to get the items they need. The more friendlies, the faster credits increase in game, and the more people spend on excessive amounts of sale items.
I understand that potc is hard for new players. Everyone has to start from somewhere, and even the players now who are good, at one point sucked. It took a lot of time and energy to get good, but thats the point of a game. It's for fun and it takes practice. If all the people who said they weren't good at potc played in a group than they would have people on their level to improve with. If we had more players, I'd suggest bringing back levels. That way new players aren't stuck getting slaughtered by experienced ones. But for now, all it would take is a little communication between players of who wants to play with an easier group.
I understand this idea is extremely unpopular, but I think people would get used to it. It wasn't always the most popular way to make money in myvmk. Worse comes to worse, you can give it a try for at least a few months.
I know you have a community screaming at you to not do it, but please please please, just give it a try.

Friendly ban solution:
For all those folks who really despise the idea of even trying to earn credits by actually playing a game, I think it is a good idea to bring back low credit clams. It should be less than the amount that someone playing an actual game would be able to get in an hour, but enough that people will be interested in participating. Furthermore, it's the most basic form of competition possible (since people need to be the first to step on them), but that small amount of added competition to credit farming would help to prevent inflation. Fair competition makes a huge difference in maintaining a steady economy.

Ultra rares:
I played since a month after this game opened, and I am not opposed at all to the rerelease of ultra rares. I think a lot of players who quit may still have them in their inventory. As mentioned by others prior, I don't think it should be done all at once. Keeping them ultra rare still is still important, it gives incentive, but this can still be done after they are made more available.
Additionally, adding in new ultra rare items that people genuinely want is important. This gives new players a chance to gain value without needing to use all credits. I think it is extremely important, what is released as an ultra rare though.
A few things to consider:
-Hard to get. (The obvious)
-As close to og VMK quality is important to make an item popular. I don't mean to offend anyone. I know designing takes a lot of time, but this item should be made by someone who is fully competent in their design skills and willing to spend a lot of extra time refining. (And please don't forget the teeny tiny small outline a lot of vmk items have around them.)
-In order for items to be ultra rare, they also need to be loved by every audience in vmk. This means both genders, and the ability to fit with a lot of peoples styles. If you think of the black flip, it's super versatile, and everyone can fit into a stitch hat :). My suggestion for this part would be to put preview images out of a few items to the population. Let the players vote on their favorite, and give them time to vote.

Entertainment:
Someone mentioned it earlier, but a large reason that people don't stay on myvmk is that there is not enough to entertain them. It's only a couple of mini-games, some host events, and trading, socializing. If we think about the original vmk there was always so much going on for the players, and a lot of these events took place in the map rooms as well as popular rooms. As someone who used to work for the game, I understand that myvmk does not have the same resources as og, and it may never have enough to keep that level of entertainment. But I think one thing that can be done in the meantime is creating at least one new mini-game. I know its a lot of time and effort, but if its entertaining it may pay off.

Double Credits:
I'm gonna be short on this because this was surprisingly a more popular opinion than I thought it would be. Double credits every weekend with low sale prices causes inflation. Sucks, but it's true. Basically a repeat of a lot of other ideas on it.

Thanks for your time reading all these long messages.

Fruits

Has the option of redistributing ultra rares off of inactive accounts occurred? For instance, if the account is inactive for a certain period of time (8 months without activity) then all items would be redistributed back into the active player base. This can be done through crates, giveaways, contest prizes, etc. You could redistribute these items in crates easily. Make crates obtainable by purchasing them in the store for various amounts(the more expensive a crate = the better chance of getting a rare item). These crates can range from 3k a piece to 100k a piece. Furthermore, make keys for these crates only obtainable through playing a certain amount of minigames(like the winter keys/crates).

Just a quick thought. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I can go into further detail if need be.

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
Has the option of redistributing ultra rares off of inactive accounts occurred? For instance, if the account is inactive for a certain period of time (8 months without activity) then all items would be redistributed back into the active player base. This can be done through crates, giveaways, contest prizes, etc. You could redistribute these items in crates easily. Make crates obtainable by purchasing them in the store for various amounts(the more expensive a crate = the better chance of getting a rare item). These crates can range from 3k a piece to 100k a piece. Furthermore, make keys for these crates only obtainable through playing a certain amount of minigames(like the winter keys/crates).

Just a quick thought. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I can go into further detail if need be.
Say someone is away at college and doesnt have time to get on for 8 months. They log in during the summer and poof. All their stuff they worked hard for is gone. Then what? Thats why I think something like that is a bad idea. We redistribute new things in other ways like treasure detector. (:

Fruits

Say someone is away at college and doesnt have time to get on for 8 months. They log in during the summer and poof. All their stuff they worked hard for is gone. Then what? Thats why I think something like that is a bad idea. We redistribute new things in other ways like treasure detector. (:
Doesn't necessarily have to be 8 months. Say 12-15 months. Furthermore, what about accounts that have been banned until 2037 or accounts that are permabanned. Those items should be redistributed.
Maybe Accounts close to their 'expiration' date would receive an email 30 days in advance letting them know that we haven't seen them in a while and they risk losing their high tier items... or something.

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
How does this "treasure detector" magic work? I only recently came back and don't remember it. Is it a magic pin that has a chance at finding an item when used? I haven't seen this magic at all since i've been back for a few weeks, so I take it if you want one, you need to trade for it, which is kind of ironic since im sure they go for a fair bit?

Ooooooo I am strongly against this. No game would ever delete someone's progress just because they were inactive. That's pretty much stealing from them. You know how many online games I have that are currently inactive? (Imvu, TTR, Wizard101, etc.) I haven't been on any of these in years and can still log in and have all my progress there like I played yesterday. It makes no sense to rob someone's account just because they are inactive because they could come back ANY day and say "hey! The heck is my stuff?!" Then the staff will have to explain to a user how a new rule was implented that let's them take away items after a certain period of time that the current user didn't know about.
I know I'd be furious.

Fruits

Ooooooo I am strongly against this. No game would ever delete someone's progress just because they were inactive. That's pretty much stealing from them. You know how many online games I have that are currently inactive? (Imvu, TTR, Wizard101, etc.) I haven't been on any of these in years and can still log in and have all my progress there like I played yesterday. It makes no sense to rob someone's account just because they are inactive because they could come back ANY day and say "hey! The heck is my stuff?!" Then the staff will have to explain to a user how a new rule was implented that let's them take away items after a certain period of time that the current user didn't know about.
I know I'd be furious.
What about people that have a 20 year ban or are permabanned?[DOUBLEPOST=1533776559][/DOUBLEPOST]
It makes no sense to rob someone's account just because they are inactive because they could come back ANY day and say "hey! The heck is my stuff?!" Then the staff will have to explain to a user how a new rule was implented that let's them take away items after a certain period of time that the current user didn't know about.
I know I'd be furious.
That is why all users who ever registered with MyVMK could be notified via email about a new inactive users rule change. Much like they were when they sent out the wave of MyVMK letters back in May/June.

Amiko

I like the idea of crates being sold, but as long as friendly POTC games are a thing, I’m against the keys being obtainable through mini games. I completely understand why you suggested it, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. People use friendly games to farm for credits and keys... so that means the keys would be too easily obtainable, and depending on odds of the crates it would be unfair for the players that have the rares. I also foresee people getting keys for crates they can’t afford, and they’ll end up selling them for a crazy price... and I already know people will buy them for that price.

I’m not against rereleasing items off of players that have 20 year bans or permabans, but I am against taking them from inactive players. I’m a player that just started playing a few months ago after being gone for 3 years - and I have a few of the cheaper old rares. It would have sucked if I came back, and all the stuff I knew I had was gone!

Last edited:

Matty

knows a thing or two
I like the idea of crates being sold, but as long as friendly POTC games are a thing, I’m against the keys being obtainable through mini games. I completely understand why you suggested it, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. People use friendly games to farm for credits and keys... so that means the keys would be too easily obtainable, and depending on odds of the crates it would be unfair for the players that have the rares. I also foresee people getting keys for crates they can’t afford, and they’ll end up selling them for a crazy price... and I already know people will buy them for that price.
Agreed, any distribution of special keys through mini-games only incentivizes the exploitation of friendly pirates even further.

The abuse of friendly pirates and necessity to remove a significant number of credits from the game need to be addressed to create any lasting impact. Anything else is just a band-aid.

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
Agreed, any distribution of special keys through mini-games only incentivizes the exploitation of friendly pirates even further.

The abuse of friendly pirates and necessity to remove a significant number of credits from the game need to be addressed to create any lasting impact. Anything else is just a band-aid.
Which is a real shame for those of us that enjoy actually playing pirates.

I dont think friendly pirates games should be taken away, but on the subject of like "special" keys i would agree that would cause a LOT more friendly games to happen. Being a friendly player myself I dont think it would be fair for friendly players to get "special" keys because lets face that facts that yes people play friendly to farm keys and creds, is that a bad thing? No. Is it for everyone? No. Maybe there can be a way so that maybe just ship battle can get these specific "special" keys you guys are talking about because i've never seen a friendly ship battle i dont think thats a thing (i could be wrong i havnt been on for very long). All of you saying "ban friendly pirates" just need to get over the fact that yes people do play friendly games I for one like to play friendly because most of the time Im doing a million other things and I still want a chance at getting keys without sacrificing all of my time. Back on topic at hand maybe "special" keys can be given to players who reach a certain number on jungle cruise or fireworks. I'm sorry if you think friendly games are the worst than literally anything else in the world but some people enjoy playing friendly games and to take that away from players wouldnt be okay. Its not like anyone is attacking anyone for playing ship battles and saying they shouldnt be able to play anymore. But to each their own but I do agree that "special" keys would increase the level of friendly games and wouldnt really be fair to the players who dont play friendly games.

riddleguy

Doesn't necessarily have to be 8 months. Say 12-15 months. Furthermore, what about accounts that have been banned until 2037 or accounts that are permabanned. Those items should be redistributed.
Maybe Accounts close to their 'expiration' date would receive an email 30 days in advance letting them know that we haven't seen them in a while and they risk losing their high tier items... or something.
This has been suggested before and the general consensus was this is a bad idea. However, I dont believe anyone suggested redistributing items from permabanned accounts and i think this wouldnt be a bad idea.

Heres an idea for re-releasing items i thought of...what about recycling item images and releasing alt versions of rare items? Like you guys could release a fake stitch hat and change the color to a diff shade of blue or re-release an outfit in a diff color.

Amiko

Heres an idea for re-releasing items i thought of...what about recycling item images and releasing alt versions of rare items? Like you guys could release a fake stitch hat and change the color to a diff shade of blue or re-release an outfit in a diff color.
Unfortunately rereleasing in a different color has already been done with a wide variety of items, from rare to more “common” items, and they just don’t hold nearly as much value as the originals. Here’s some examples: Black Sparrow, the color varieties Princess Minnie, all the cowboy shirts without vests, green princess, green mansion... etc. Don’t get me wrong, most of the recolors do decently, but people are still after the originals. I think the whole mindset of the community would have to change for people to consider the recolors as valuable as the originals.

I wonder if a slight recolor would go over well with the community though... like you mentioning a Stitch hat in a different shade of blue. Like knock off items in real life, where there’s just a minor change with the color or logo... this idea could have potential. Too many recolors (especially at one time and if they’re not done well) can make the community upset though.

Releasing a fake stitch hat? That's like if I sold fake Rolexes, that's just wrong. And it would take a trained eyed trader/player to spot the difference. Unless of course the name of the items is literally "FAKE Stitch hat" but still like.... why? I guess if people just want the item itself and don't care if it's an original or a knockoff?

Also as said there is really no way to ban friendly potc UNLESS you ban the multiplayer aspect of it AKA banning potc itself entirely. There might be a work around where you nerf the amount of credits gained in potc and slightly lower the appearance rates of keys if that's a real big issue. But then this would make another problem of "I dont get keys often enough and therefore I missed out on all the potc stuff" so there is no winning with trying to ban friendly potc altogether cause once again, the only way to ban friendly is to ban the ability for players to play against each other.

Fruits

Unfortunately rereleasing in a different color has already been done with a wide variety of items, from rare to more “common” items, and they just don’t hold nearly as much value as the originals. Here’s some examples: Black Sparrow, the color varieties Princess Minnie, all the cowboy shirts without vests, green princess, green mansion... etc. Don’t get me wrong, most of the recolors do decently, but people are still after the originals. I think the whole mindset of the community would have to change for people to consider the recolors as valuable as the originals.

I wonder if a slight recolor would go over well with the community though... like you mentioning a Stitch hat in a different shade of blue. Like knock off items in real life, where there’s just a minor change with the color or logo... this idea could have potential. Too many recolors (especially at one time and if they’re not done well) can make the community upset though.
I have always been a fan of a black stitch hat and have already recolored it in all angles on photoshop. It actually looks great. Furthermore, I believe black recolored items do much better with the community (for example black flip hat).

[DOUBLEPOST=1533820267][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's another idea regarding keys/crates:

Selling these 'Lottery Crates' in the Emporium for a month at different prices.
  • (1) Bronze Crate - 5,000 credits (.25% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Silver Crate - 25,000 credits (2% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Gold Crate - 50,000 credits (5% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Platinum Crate - 100,000 credits (15% chance of rare/ultra)
Items in the Lottery Crates that players may have the chance to win could include:
  • Stitch Hat
  • Princess Minnie
  • Sparrow Outfit/Pieces
  • Inferno
  • Green Baggy Pants
  • Black Traditional Mickey Ears
  • Firewalls
  • Pirate Quest Furniture
  • Bird Hat
Lottery Keys could be 'dropped' throughout the kingdom(much like crates). However, drops would be scarce. Lets say..... 4 keys dropped in a public room with players once every hour? Creating the opportunity to trade for keys and making them worth something instead of just handing them out like candy through mini-games.

Please critique this however you want... I would love input.

NOTE: Percentages/Prices are just placeholders and can obviously be changed.

Last edited:

Matty

knows a thing or two
I dont think friendly pirates games should be taken away, but on the subject of like "special" keys i would agree that would cause a LOT more friendly games to happen. Being a friendly player myself I dont think it would be fair for friendly players to get "special" keys because lets face that facts that yes people play friendly to farm keys and creds, is that a bad thing? No. Is it for everyone? No. Maybe there can be a way so that maybe just ship battle can get these specific "special" keys you guys are talking about because i've never seen a friendly ship battle i dont think thats a thing (i could be wrong i havnt been on for very long). All of you saying "ban friendly pirates" just need to get over the fact that yes people do play friendly games I for one like to play friendly because most of the time Im doing a million other things and I still want a chance at getting keys without sacrificing all of my time. Back on topic at hand maybe "special" keys can be given to players who reach a certain number on jungle cruise or fireworks. I'm sorry if you think friendly games are the worst than literally anything else in the world but some people enjoy playing friendly games and to take that away from players wouldnt be okay. Its not like anyone is attacking anyone for playing ship battles and saying they shouldnt be able to play anymore. But to each their own but I do agree that "special" keys would increase the level of friendly games and wouldnt really be fair to the players who dont play friendly games.
Being a friendly player, I wouldn't expect any less of a response. I understand where you're coming from and I know it's difficult to reconcile having to actually earn the credits and keys amassed, when the option of not needing to do so is present. Is friendly a bad thing?? In a game that cannot absorb the number of credits currently in it, yes, resoundingly yes. The rate at which friendly pumps credits into the game only compounds the existing state of things further.

If the practice of friendly is acceptable, and we just need to make things easier and more convenient for players, then there's really no reason to limit it to only pirates. Maybe we should have jungle cruise where snapping photos of the animals is optional. Need to explode fireworks to gain points, only if we feel like it. Catch ghosts, I guess if we don't need to move to get any. We can just sit back and watch our credits and keys pile up at the end of each game, and remain completely oblivious to the ripple effect of doing so.

Last edited:
Being a friendly player, I wouldn't expect any less of a response. I understand where you're coming from and I know it's difficult to reconcile having to actually earn the credits and keys amassed, when the option of not needing to do so is present. Is friendly a bad thing?? In a game that cannot absorb the number of credits currently in it, yes, resoundingly yes. The rate at which friendly pumps credits into the game only compounds the existing state of things further.

If the practice of friendly is acceptable, and we just need to make things easier and more convenient for players, then there's really no reason to limit it to only pirates. Maybe we should have jungle cruise where snapping photos of the animals is optional. Need to explode fireworks to gain points, only if we feel like it. Catch ghosts, I guess if we don't need to move to get any. We can just sit back and watch our credits and keys pile up at the end of each game, and remain completely oblivious to the ripple effect of doing so.
If im being completely honest with you if friendly got banned i wouldnt even be mad because i understand all view points in this situation, i understand the effect that earning credits this way is having. but i also understand that all of this is just pixels and figures which doesnt affect any aspect of my real life, people are having fun playing friendly let them have fun, people are having fun playing non friendly then let them. But the whole point is let people do what they want in a virtual game where there actions may effect the "economy" but it dosent effect your real life.